diy solar

diy solar

Grounding of Solar Panels and Rails

i have seen many folks here , including me , ask what’s a good grounding lug to bond panels that will avoid the copper/ alum issues ..I ordered a few types to look at them…FWIW ,I settled on these..they only connect the panels to each other electrically …don’t think they hold the panel to the rails as far as I can see. But they might in some cases… i do t know…..
I didn’t need nor want that feature anyway…
Look great, machined well, very secure when locked down , and a great finish.. Made of stainless and aluminum and somthing else..??? whatever… got em on Amazon..

The 4 little protrusions cut right thru any anodization or oxide coating on the frames when tightening down…
they were easy to install and fasten to the wire.,If you can get to your panels underside…..I did use one 90 ft long piece of 6 ga stranded copper ground wire and removed about an inch of insulation at each lug.
I coated the bare wire very well with a heavy coat of No-a-Lox to keep water from creeping into the wire at the bare spots.
also the lug, and the mating surface on the frame before tightening stuff down.
it all went great …..took a while ………all meter reading on all surfaces are low and equal compared to before when there was no reading or readings all over the place…

will check it now. D then to see how it holds up.

im sure there are other good ones , this is what I felt comfortable with,…about 4 Bucks each.
Took took 64 for this first array…
On the next next array I will mount all lugs on the panels on a work bench BEFORE the damn panels are mounted…Geeeezz…then all I have to do is slip the wire in and tighten down…

J.
Looks nice. Minus the part to get under the array part.

I saw some on Amazon and Aliexpress for cheaper. They were either 304/A2 Stainless Steel or not specified (likely 304/A2 Stainless Steel as well since it's cheaper).

It would be better to have 316/A4 Stainless Steel though (e.g. acid rains etc).

Back