diy solar

diy solar

MPP 1012LV Settings

prestonmcafee

FIrst, thanks to this forum for giving me the courage and knowhow to install this device.

I want to check my logic. I'm using the MPP 1012LV with two Li Time 100Ah batteries in parallel, which have BMS, and two Renogy 200W panels in series. The load (Starlink + two trail cameras) averages 30W. I *sometimes* have generator input but mostly I would like to run the system off solar only.

I have the power priority set to SbU, which uses solar first, battery second and switches to utility when the battery goes off-line. I want to protect the batteries, though, and I don't mind having the system shut down to protect the batteries when the generator is unavailable. So I set the voltage to point back to utility (setting 12) at 12.0V, and to point back to battery at 12.3V. If I understand correctly, when utility is not available and the sun is not shining, this will turn off the load at 12V and start back up when the batteries reach 12.3V.

I have bulk charging at 14.2V, floating charging at 13.5V, and the low voltage cutoff at 12.0V as well.

Is my logic about protecting the batteries correct? I intend to leave this system running all winter in upstate NY. The batteries and inverter are in a root cellar, so should stay above freezing. The solar panels are mounted nearly vertically, so snow should slide off. I don't mind if it just shuts off the load for days at a time provided that when the batteries are recharged by solar, the system restarts the load.

I of course will test the system but I hope to learn from more experienced solar DIYers.

have the power priority set to SbU, which uses solar first, battery second and switches to utility when the battery goes off-line
SUB with appropriate settings will stimulate charging via the 1012’s ATS. I’m offgrid and I use that. But only after watering grass an entire day while using a lot of tools did I ever have to touch the genny.
don't mind having the system shut down to protect the batteries when the generator is unavailable
It will still do that
understand correctly, when utility is not available and the sun is not shining, this will turn off the load at 12V and start back up when the batteries reach 12.3V.
yes
intend to leave this system running all winter in upstate NY.
I’m parallel to you in Vermont
solar panels are mounted nearly vertically, so snow should slide off. I don't mind if it just shuts off the load for days at a time provided that when the batteries are recharged by solar, the system restarts the load
I have my panels vertical as well. Actually fully vertical?

I might float at 13.8. In fact I do.

Back