diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548 AC input issue

zks

Hi all,

I have two LV6548's running in split phase. Been running fine for 6+ months. No solar input (yet) - just battery and AC input. The units run in bypass most of the time, but if there's an outage, batteries provide power. All working flawlessly.

However, I now have a weird issue where earlier today there was a short on one of the plugs in the house. The inverters (which were running in bypass at the time) shut down completely (the breaker for the branch that shorted didn't even get time to trip), but then powered up immediately by themselves (within 10 seconds) and power was back.

I just noticed however that everything is running in battery mode because one of the LV6548's is showing zero volt AC input. The other shows normal 120V input.

I checked the input wires, and they have 120V on both of them.

I tried shutting both down (complete shut down - AC off, battery off). On power up, everything comes back, inverter provides power from batteries, but one is still showing zero volts.

No errors whatsoever - it's just like it's not getting input power.

Does anyone know if there's an internal breaker or fuse that might have blown? The manual isn't very helpful for this scenario. It just says "input protection triggered" and to check the breakers (the external breaker is fine, and like I said, I tested with multimeter).

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Z.

Actually, I solved it. There was an Eaton 63A fuse on the inside that blew. It must have exceeded 63A on the input as the unit tried to pull infinite amps (near zero ohms) through the short circuit for an infinitesimally small amount of time.

So the input fuse failed faster than both the input breaker and the output branch breakers.

Here's the fuse that was on it:

It's a high speed fuse.. they got that right!

I need to buy a bunch of these fuses now.

Thanks!

Z.

Thanks for sharing, I have a new LV6548 in preparation for my solar project. I now need to get a few fuses as spare.

Back