diy solar

diy solar

Suggestions for alternative to MPPLV2424(green) that will charge battery even if no PV input.

MarkLeid

I have an MPPLV2424 (Green) with a 24V BigBattery Hawk Max.

First issue. Originally BB was to be configured to 29V max but there was a problem communicating with the MPP and the MPP would shut down going into float. So I was told to set max voltage to 27V (but only see up to 26.5V). I dont believe I'm getting the full capacity of the batter. Was off this morning with the battery showing 25V.

Second Issue. I could live with that if the grid could start charging but it wont without seeing PV input voltage which of course doesnt happen until dawn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a better inverter? I'm running my living room off-grid but have AC input. Need the AC to kick in regardless of PV input if battery gets too low.

I don't have the 2424, but do have the 2724, no solar is needed to charge from AC, but battery has to be above the min set point voltage.
I wonder in your case, if the low battery SOC triggered the inverter off, and it can't start up until the battery is above the shut down voltage again, thus you see it waiting for PV input. Just a wild guess from the information you posted.

As a test, can you put a regular battery charger on the battery to pick up the voltage and see if the inverter will restart?

Yes, That is what I did and it started back up. My issue is that the AC in won't start unless it sees PV voltage.

01 was set to SBU as recommended. But I reset 20( battery stop discharging voltage when grid is available) from 24 to 24.5 V. This seemed to do the trick but it also adds to my suspicion that my Big Battery Hawk Max is not working optimally. When I originally received it found out it had a bad BMS and had to return if for repair. Original settings from ShopSolar and BigBattery had charging voltage to be set at 29 and Low DC cut off at 21.6V and Battery stop at 22V. This was later revised to charge only to 27V and recommended Battery stop to 24V. Based on display parametes I think I'm only getting about 70% of my battery capacity. Would no buy BigBattery again.

Would not buy BigBattery again.
Yupp, sorry you had to go through the expensive education process.
Lots of us on here DIY battery packs from cells if you are interested just search the forum for lots of threads on this topic! - I think it is fun and educational, and saves a few dollars per kWh, but that is me.

Back