diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar controller and Ampere Time 12V 100Ah flaking out

Haykin

I recently hooked up my PIP-1012LV-MS - 12V 120VAC 1000W AC output, 500W Max 40A Mppt Solar Input controller and Ampere Time 12V 100Ah and everything had been working great for the last month. Then this week the controller started beeping without any option to stop the alert besides pulling the plug to utility power. I've attached a short vid clip of the alert and the strange LCD display reaction.

Unfortunately other than knowing you have a fault condition I can not make out anything else from your video. When did the fault occur and do you have any voltage readings? You say the alarm beep stops when you disconnect AC in? At this point is your display accessible? Please give more detail.

As you can see in the video there is nothing to go by. The display is blinking and is not showing any readable text. The image on the LCD is garbled. The battery has no charge so without the utility power I would assume there is nothing coming from the solar panels either. We had several days of heavy rain so basically no sun. Which I assume is why the battery died. Was hoping it would have shut off to protect over draining the battery. The system was setup to provide power to a workbench power strip. Nothing was running that was on the strip but there were items plugged into it. A light that wasnt on. A cordless tool battery charger that wasnt charging anything at the time and a couple of small items that werent turned on.
I did have the MPP Solar configured to utilize Solar and Utility to maintain charge to the battery in the event of poor weather and during the night.
Hopefully I can hook up a laptop to the controller and see if I can get any information. Trouble is that I cant get the controller to turn on without hooking it back up to utility power.

Thanks for the additional detail. It sounds like you are trying to run with no battery input. If battery voltage is below the low voltage cutoff that certainly is a fault condition and if you have a LiFePO4 battery type you could have tripped the BMS. A low voltage tripped BMS will have to be jumped in order to reset.

Be aware that there is idle current draw that these AIO's have which drains the battery if no charging is setup. You mention utility charging but you do not say what you settings for charge preference and charge current settings are.

Sorry, I am soooo new to solar setup. This is my first venture into it after following Will's videos.
Can I use my portable car charger to jump the battery? Wasnt sure if I could do that to a LifePO4. Once I get the battery back up Ill connect to the unit with my laptop. Ive been trying to get one of those wireless modules so I could manage it remotely but either out of stock or those that have one are selling it for $100 or more.
I had heard that there was still a current draw even without these units being turned on. live and learn. Once I know how to jump the battery Ill follow up with results.
TYVM

Back