diy solar

diy solar

MPP Solar LV-5048 Fault - 88

vincei

Hi,

I have a new solar install with an LV5048 that I bought on eBay. The first unit upon turning it on for the first time immediately produced a Fault 88. I spent a day trying to understand and get rid of this fault but got absolutely nowhere. I contacted the vendor last weekend and he was incredibly responsive and we tried a few things but couldn't get the error to go away no matter what I did. He shipped out another unit without being prompted and I really appreciate the responsiveness to my problem especially seeing as it has been a number of months since I bought the unit to when I tried to power it up the first time.

I just received the replacement unit via Fedex and mounted it on the wall and connected just the battery (Lead acid, 4x12V after removing an additional 6V battery we experimented with on the old unit) and the PV wiring input which is disconnected from the array by the isolator switch outside. Nothing else is connected.

Same error - comes up immediately upon flipping the battery breaker. I thought for a second that I'd not swapped the units but the infernal beeping from the thing indicated that it is the new one. I am at a loss. I measured the battery output at the inverter input and it is 50.69V.

I don't know what else to do here. Can someone that has been able to rectify or dealt with this stupid error please give me some hints?

Thanks,
Vince

Attachments

• facebook-sucks.png
    facebook-sucks.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 29
My wild ass guess based on the error message (see attached from manual) is that it thinks this is linked to another "parallel" unit. Can you get to the settings to verify this?

Do you only have the batteries connected and nothing else?
Is there a jumper setting somewhere for stand alone vs stacked configuration?

All wild ass guesses. Sorry.View attachment 19938

Hi!

Thanks for the response.

Yes, only batteries connected to the inverter via DC breakers. Inside the wiring panel there are no jumpers that I can see nor are any called out in the manual. Just the dips witches which weirdly have no setting for *not* running in parallel mode.

That was my suspicion but I can't find anything that clearly indicates that the unit is running standalone. The manual leaves a lot to be desired for anyone who has no interest in running these things in parallel. I've been thru the manual over and over again and I'm still stumped.

Who knew something so simple could be so hard.

-Vince

On the back of your unit, are the dip switches for Parallel ID all OFF/down?
Hopefully its as simple as setting your unit to ID = 0.
Maybe there is a setting you can get to in the menus that lets to set the number of parallel units to 0?

All wild ass guesses again, sorry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 4.30.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 4.30.17 PM.png
    58.4 KB · Views: 23
On the back of your unit, are the dip switches for Parallel ID all OFF/down?
Hopefully its as simple as setting your unit to ID = 0.
Maybe there is a setting you can get to in the menus that lets to set the number of parallel units to 0?

All wild ass guesses again, sorry.
They are set to zero by default. We tried fiddling with them on the other unit to no avail. Now that I have two of these things (the other one is boxed up for RMA, I could try running them in parallel) but that's not what I paid for. These things are supposed to work standalone as far as I can tell so coming up default expecting to be run in parallel with no obvious way to switch it to standalone is, well, words fail me. :mad::poop:

-Vince

Yea, total fail in that aspect (maybe more!)

Maybe try searching for "LV5048" and see if you can PM a fellow member here for ideas.

Last gasp idea from the manual, in case you can even get to program 28...

NOTE: For parallel model operation, please refer to LCD program 28

Good luck! (and sorry i couldn't help)

To answer my own question. After reflashing the firmware with a different program that the manufacturer sent me the problem still remains. I've kind had it with the incorrect and misleading documentation, the crappy software and the almost secrecy surrounding these inverters. The vendor has been a champ and offered to send a 3rd unit that has been tested to work but I AM DONE. This unit is going back. Buying something else.

is it a original MPP solar? the colour i know is white,green,yellow but never seen a black one

is it a original MPP solar? the colour i know is white,green,yellow but never seen a black one
I think so. The manufacturer in Taiwan that I was communicating with didn't have a problem with the serial number I sent them since they require it for tech support. Unit looks legit to me. The black that you are seeing is the surround for the LCD. I'll post a wider shot.solar.png

Last edited:
i have the (high voltage) hybrid v2 5048 but mine has not the switches on the back for parrallel function

fault code 88 and how to update

Thanks Barry,

Yeah, I updated the firmware this morning after going thru all the same stupid errors this guy faced in the video you posted. No dice. Software that terrible I have no confidence in. Getting 2 units in a row with the exact same problem and was about to receive a third I just pulled the plug. I've already bought something different and will be removing this from my wall and shipping it back. Thanks for the video, though. I wish I'd seen it 2 weeks ago during the hurricane and no power stuck in the basement trying to make this inverter work.

-Vince

I wish I'd seen it 2 weeks ago during the hurricane and no power stuck in the basement trying to make this inverter work.
Ouch ?

Good luck and getting this situation sorted. A Cautionary tale for sure. Thank you for sharing it.

I cleared the issue by seeing menu 28 2A2 with the unit in stand by. If you continue to get the error flip the left dip to on. This will give you 120 and 240 potential. You may also consider a jumper between L1 and L2 so that both inverters 2500 each are used for the 5kw capability

My wild ass guess based on the error message (see attached from manual) is that it thinks this is linked to another "parallel" unit. Can you get to the settings to verify this?

Do you only have the batteries connected and nothing else?
Is there a jumper setting somewhere for stand alone vs stacked configuration?

All wild ass guesses. Sorry.View attachment 19938
I switched dip 1 to on and code 88 went away and she functions again...yes.

Back