diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

Greetings everyone, I built a system with 40kWh of batteries and three LVX6048 inverters powering an off-grid ranch and I have a curious issue. Beyond this issue the system is fantastic.

Every few nights, the power blips off and on for a few seconds. It is not every night but it only occurs at night. This is not related to overload as the loads are far under 50% of inverter capacity. Finally, this appears to have no correlation to battery SOC. I've also had them shut off two of the inverters and it still occurs.

Settings
SUB
APL

Photo Note
Suspected the resets might have been due to noise from ac output getting into the balance/current sharing cables so those are now unbundled from the ac lines and ran separately.

Thank you!
Believe or not this problem exists in the WP version as well. Not sure what is causing it. Didn't even think about possible noise interference. But now that you mention it, I might have to find something to separate mine since my current sharing cables and the output wires are in the same wireway for mine

Believe or not this problem exists in the WP version as well. Not sure what is causing it. Didn't even think about possible noise interference. But now that you mention it, I might have to find something to separate mine since my current sharing cables and the output wires are in the same wireway for mine
Odd considering as I understand that those are different manufactures. Does anyone have ideas on what is causing these seemingly random resets? The ranch owners are extremely happy will all their newfound power but the random resets are confidence shaking. No errors on the units.

Odd considering as I understand that those are different manufactures. Does anyone have ideas on what is causing these seemingly random resets? The ranch owners are extremely happy will all their newfound power but the random resets are confidence shaking. No errors on the units.
It's the same manufacturer, for sure. I just thought a lot of the problems from the non-WP version would be cleaned in the WP version, but alas, here we are.

Both Voltronic Power

LVX6048 https://voltronicpower.com/en-US/Product/Detail/InfiniSolar-VII-6KW-(Split-Phase)

LVX6048WP https://voltronicpower.com/en-US/Product/Detail/InfiniSolar-WP-LV-6K

May not want to visit the site though... It is depressing to see how many models and setups they have compared to what is available for sale here in the USA. :(

Greetings everyone, I built a system with 40kWh of batteries and three LVX6048 inverters powering an off-grid ranch and I have a curious issue. Beyond this issue the system is fantastic.

Every few nights, the power blips off and on for a few seconds. It is not every night but it only occurs at night. This is not related to overload as the loads are far under 50% of inverter capacity. Finally, this appears to have no correlation to battery SOC. I've also had them shut off two of the inverters and it still occurs.

Settings
SUB
APL

Photo Note
Suspected the resets might have been due to noise from ac output getting into the balance/current sharing cables so those are now unbundled from the ac lines and ran separately.

Thank you!
I have 3 LVX6048's. I have been fighting this issue for months. I have tried separating the comm cables, shielding them, and a few other things to no avail. It is frustrating because it resets a bunch of things in the house, in fact I had to buy a small UPS for my router and modem so they wouldn't go down. At first it only happened during the night, but now it happens at any time and it changes random settings on the inverters. Weird because it doesnt reset them to default and its not the same settings all the time. I use "user" settings for the batteries and it always resets them to agm and changes my values. I dislike my inverters. I get a lot of fault 60 (and other random faults) and have not been able to use one inverter except as a battery charger for 2 months. Ian has now sent me a relay board to change, but I just received it and we will see if that works. I have to switch the house back to grid every time I leave for a while because these are so unreliable. They don't seem to play well with the grid either. If I turn off grid input to them they are much more reliable and way less noisy - not sure how those things correlate. I often think that maybe its just a setting that needs to be changed but I change things periodically and nothing ever gets better. I should start a thread for people running these in parallel as when in single mode there doesn't seem to be this problem. In this thread we could all share settings and what issues we are seeing. If anyone is running these in parallel and they are running perfect, please DM me or reply here so I can pick your brain a bit.

Last edited:
There is a facebook post linked from the general forum about a fire. They had SMK units, that are rebranded LVX6048s. In the comments the guy said this that caught my eye after reading your story Ian30: "inverters were programmed for custom parameters but were resetting to default on their own." -- Nathan Andrew Perkins-Cleveland

Odd that I see 2 cases of parallel installs of LVX6048s having issues retaining settings, possibly to dramatic effect.

I just helped my stepson install a pair in parallel. They too had issues retaining settings. One thing is the inverters must be powered up but not inverting or they won't retain settings. After getting it working fine he came back to almost dead batteries. They seem to have held the parallel settings since we got them running again. Still worrisome that they can just seem to forget and then stop charging as well as inverting. We are still having trouble getting them to charge from the generator, it keeps kicking them off line. The advice we got from Ian was to attach a load to the generator like a heat gun. Something about harmonics interfering, didn't really make sense to me.

Have to say I am not a fan in a number of regards. They run hot, have a large idle draw, aren't meant to connect conduit to, very little room to install the wiring, up button makes the menu go down, all sorts of little things. Not yet ready for prime time.

3/4" conduit fittings fit fine (at least the sch 80 PVC ones do).

I sure I hope I have better luck with mine, but I am running my two separately feed different sub panels.

Interesting. We had to file ours out a little to get the male adapter to fit.

Hi, if I have 4 , 12 volt battery 200A wat will be Watts that Will produce the battery. My system is running 48volt. Thanks.

Hi, if I have 4 , 12 volt battery 200A wat will be Watts that Will produce the battery. My system is running 48volt. Thanks.
Not sure how you stumbled into this thread, but about 10kwh if you go from 100% to 0%, figure 8kwh usable for LiFePo4, 5-6kwh for lead acid.

Dang it I was gonna buy a 2nd one but this is not good news.

Hello, I'm new to the forum here, and I think that I've read this entire thread. Lots of good stuff in here.

I'm looking for some help.

I bought an LVX6048 just over a year ago from Ian there at watts247, and had finally got all the bugs worked out of it, or so I thought. 18 370watt panels 6S3P making about 12 to 15 kwh a day. Decided to add some batteries to the system and try to improve my power generation. I started with some old CAT batteries paralleled for 48 volts. My system was working pretty good until one Sunday morning I found it DRT, dead right there. NOTHING, just a faint hum.
I happen to live in Utah about 4 hours away from watts247 and needed to make a trip down to Nevada, Ian said that I could drop it off on my way by and he would get it repaired. He had to replace the main board to get it going again. Ian at watts247 is great with customer support!

Back at home I got it all hooked back up and figured it was running well. Two days later I noticed that my batteries were going flat.:( I messed around with the settings trying to get her to charge up the batteries with no luck. I got in touch with Ian again and we tried some stuff: flashed the newest version of firmware onto the unit, installed a new control board, got newer better batteries and an equalizer for them and installed a new relay board. No change... it still wont charge the batteries. Only the MTTP board left to change out... but I'm not sure that will do it.

I'm still working with Ian on it. Hopefully today I can figure out how to get it hooked up to the the laptop and do a factory reset on it. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try.

Have you ever seen anything act like this?
Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.

Hello, I'm new to the forum here, and I think that I've read this entire thread. Lots of good stuff in here.

I'm looking for some help.

I bought an LVX6048 just over a year ago from Ian there at watts247, and had finally got all the bugs worked out of it, or so I thought. 18 370watt panels 6S3P making about 12 to 15 kwh a day. Decided to add some batteries to the system and try to improve my power generation. I started with some old CAT batteries paralleled for 48 volts. My system was working pretty good until one Sunday morning I found it DRT, dead right there. NOTHING, just a faint hum.
I happen to live in Utah about 4 hours away from watts247 and needed to make a trip down to Nevada, Ian said that I could drop it off on my way by and he would get it repaired. He had to replace the main board to get it going again. Ian at watts247 is great with customer support!

Back at home I got it all hooked back up and figured it was running well. Two days later I noticed that my batteries were going flat.:( I messed around with the settings trying to get her to charge up the batteries with no luck. I got in touch with Ian again and we tried some stuff: flashed the newest version of firmware onto the unit, installed a new control board, got newer better batteries and an equalizer for them and installed a new relay board. No change... it still wont charge the batteries. Only the MTTP board left to change out... but I'm not sure that will do it.

I'm still working with Ian on it. Hopefully today I can figure out how to get it hooked up to the the laptop and do a factory reset on it. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what else to try.

Have you ever seen anything act like this?
Please let me know if you guys have any ideas.
People keep telling me to get the top tier stuff...and don't look back. Go for Sol-ark or something. It's steep yes but tax credits do help. I still like to mess with the chinese inverter though because there is hardly any payback with battery banks and every bit helps. I can buy a lot of chinse inverters for the price of a Sol-Ark. If you don't like to tinker stay away from Chinese inverters. I am still working with MPP on mine where the inverter goes bonkers if I bring in more than 1.5k of solar but only if i turn on the heat pump.

People keep telling me to get the top tier stuff...and don't look back. Go for Sol-ark or something. It's steep yes but tax credits do help. I still like to mess with the chinese inverter though because there is hardly any payback with battery banks and every bit helps. I can buy a lot of chinse inverters for the price of a Sol-Ark. If you don't like to tinker stay away from Chinese inverters. I am still working with MPP on mine where the inverter goes bonkers if I bring in more than 1.5k of solar but only if i turn on the heat pump.
I'm with you.
Most of the time I can't help myself. I love to tinker on things. The Chinese stuff always provides plenty of tinker time and learning opportunity.

Has anybody figured out how to tie into the lvx6048 with solarpower on the laptop?

I'm with you.
Most of the time I can't help myself. I love to tinker on things. The Chinese stuff always provides plenty of tinker time and learning opportunity.

Has anybody figured out how to tie into the lvx6048 with solarpower on the laptop?
Oh that's easy, took me a few mins the other day when mpp wanted to pull some logs. Just use the micro-usb port, install software, hook it up, done. The trick is to have 3 cables on hand because only 1 will work for data. The 3rd one I tried did the trick.

Oh that's easy, took me a few mins the other day when mpp wanted to pull some logs. Just use the micro-usb port, install software, hook it up, done. The trick is to have 3 cables on hand because only 1 will work for data. The 3rd one I tried did the trick.
You mean 3 USB micro to USB cables?

Not the rs232 to USB adapter?

Oh I spoke to Ian at watts247 yesterday, he said to not parallel the lvx's until MPP figures out a fix.

Back