diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

If you don't mind me asking what battery brand and how much KWh battery power was connected during your test, and how much Solar (in KW) power was connected during your test, thanks.
I did that test at night with two big battery HSKYs in parallel. Those are rated at 130A continuous and 350A for 6s each.

I have one LVX6048. it starts and runs everything in my home except my 5 hp air compressor.
It just growls and cant quite get the lead out starting that 5 hp motor. It runs my
old south bend lathes, skillsaw, well pump, heat pump hot water heater, dryer (but the dryer really kicks it into high gear.)
Lathes are 1 hp motors. It has no issues starting that deep well pump at all. The dryer I put back on the grid because it seems to use over 4000 watts to run it and I do not want issues when the well pump starts up.
We recently had a grid outage that lasted 4 days. I was unaffected here except that I used a clothes line to dry my laundry.
I am telling you, it made it all worthwhile in those 4 days.
An appropriately sized VFD should solve your compressor start challenge: https://www.ato.com/5hp-vfd-single-phase-input-output

Guys I upgraded to an LVX6048WP, losing my mind at the moment trying to get it to accept my grid input (not really interested in grid-tie PV feedback, just want grid available to supplement PV in instances where the load is significant.) My home uses 2 legs off a 3 phase distribution xformer, so L1-L2: 208, L1-N: 120, L2-N:120. Parameters are well within manual specs. No matter what I do, I can't get the unit to accept the utility input (AC Utility icon flashing, along with warning code 09). MPP support has had me update firmware to latest (1.19), then run a solarpower serial communication tool to send a config command (OPANG1), which changes the OUTPUT from L1/L2-N:120, L1-L2: 240, to L1/L2-N:120, L1-L2: 208. I keep telling them its my grid input thats being rejected, so why give me commands for output? My loads don't care if its 208 or 240! Any ideas or suggestions? MPP has gone silent, I guess they're relying on Voltronic responses, as its a rebadged unit. Voltronic's version supports 2/3 phase input outright...

I can't get the unit to accept the utility input (AC Utility icon flashing, along with warning code 09).
From the manual: Code 09 Bus soft start failure.

Under troubleshooting:

Fault code 08/09/53/57 Internal components failed. Return to repair center.

From the manual: Code 09 Bus soft start failure.

Under troubleshooting:

Fault code 08/09/53/57 Internal components failed. Return to repair center.
I have an LVX6048WP, in the manual warning code 09 is an advisory, and means "line phase loss". There are warning codes, and then there are fault codes. This one's a warning.

I have an LVX6048WP, in the manual warning code 09 is an advisory, and means "line phase loss". There are warning codes, and then there are fault codes. This one's a warning.
I see I somehow clicked on the wrong manual.

I would break out an oscilloscope and check phases at this point. If you don't have a scope, first check the line voltage with the input phases loaded down well. Most likely the unit is looking at peak to peak voltage and one phase is lower than the other.

I see in the manual you can get the input voltage, freq and line phase on the display.

I see in the manual you can get the input voltage, freq and line phase on the display.
Volts & freqs are displayed. I'd say phase is ok, at 120 degrees, the amplitude should be 208v, that's what I'm measuring L1-L2. It looks as though MPP is implementing their own firmware, as the Voltronic OEM unit supports 2 leg 3 phase out the gate... I'm going to try the jumpered single phase input I saw elsewhere in the forum, if that fails, it looks like extra panels & storage with no grid interaction. upstream boost transformer is just too convoluted a solution. Re loading, I use the same grid feed double pole breaker to run my EV charger, 3kw routinely, and the smart charger is very discriminating... also all lines into/out of inverter are 8AWG & 40' run.

I do plan on trying the jumpered L1-L2 single 120 leg in that I saw referenced to a Will Prowse vid. Last ditch effort.
Jumper failed.... Utility Fluctuation fault when brought online... unlike before the unit actually brought the jumpered online for a few seconds instead of rejecting outright.... depressed now, a lot of time & prep for a half-working setup.... where's my Tequila

Jumper failed.... Utility Fluctuation fault when brought online... unlike before the unit actually brought the jumpered online for a few seconds instead of rejecting outright.... depressed now, a lot of time & prep for a half-working setup.... where's my Tequila
Where did you buy it? Watts247.com provides great service. I think Ian is still testing these though, since they are so new to the market. I am sure there will need to be some firmware updates as the bugs show themselves.

Where did you buy it? Watts247.com provides great service. I think Ian is still testing these though, since they are so new to the market. I am sure there will need to be some firmware updates as the bugs show themselves.
Direct from MPP, was on the queue for it since last September....

Guys I upgraded to an LVX6048WP, losing my mind at the moment trying to get it to accept my grid input (not really interested in grid-tie PV feedback, just want grid available to supplement PV in instances where the load is significant.) My home uses 2 legs off a 3 phase distribution xformer, so L1-L2: 208, L1-N: 120, L2-N:120. Parameters are well within manual specs. No matter what I do, I can't get the unit to accept the utility input (AC Utility icon flashing, along with warning code 09). MPP support has had me update firmware to latest (1.19), then run a solarpower serial communication tool to send a config command (OPANG1), which changes the OUTPUT from L1/L2-N:120, L1-L2: 240, to L1/L2-N:120, L1-L2: 208. I keep telling them its my grid input thats being rejected, so why give me commands for output? My loads don't care if its 208 or 240! Any ideas or suggestions? MPP has gone silent, I guess they're relying on Voltronic responses, as its a rebadged unit. Voltronic's version supports 2/3 phase input outright...
Can you provide pics of how you have it wired? That may help. Are you in the US? Are you coming off the main or a sub panel? L1 is 120V to N, and L2 is 120V to N. N and G are bonded at the main. I assume you are going through a breaker to the Inverter off the main panel, and you have 4 wires going to the AC input of the inverter. Ground, L1, L2, and Neutral, and they are connected to the far left connector. (What color are your wires)
Set your mode to off grid III to start, to see if it works that way.

Can you provide pics of how you have it wired? That may help. Are you in the US? Are you coming off the main or a sub panel? L1 is 120V to N, and L2 is 120V to N. N and G are bonded at the main. I assume you are going through a breaker to the Inverter off the main panel, and you have 4 wires going to the AC input of the inverter. Ground, L1, L2, and Neutral, and they are connected to the far left connector. (What color are your wires)
Set your mode to off grid III to start, to see if it works that way.
I just noticed that 50hz is the default for some reason. Check program mode 1 for F60.

Are you sure your set for 60hz? i know other inverters from mpp default to 50hz.

Are you sure your set for 60hz? i know other inverters from mpp default to 50hz.
yep, triple checked. Inverter freq settings & wiring are good, 4 conductors in, 4 out, 8AWG, 40' run (I'm a past Avionics tech, I've rewired & modified heavy jets half my life, so very confident re wiring and setting review) too bad that confidence didn't translate to a specification phone call with MPP before purchase?‍♂️. Grid input is a double pole 40 amp from main breaker panel in house with dedicated neutral & gnd., Main Neutral/Gnd bond at outside disconnect after meter.... its definitely not interested in the 2 leg of 3 phase input. Setup is Hybrid 2 (setting 14) with grid feed disabled. I just caved & ordered a used 3KVA 208 primary, 120/240 secondary transformer. I'm in The Bahamas, so this 100lb inverter isn't going back to Taiwan! Transformer should be here in 10 days.... with my luck they'll add the 2/3 phase input option to firmware the day after I install it. When I think of the anticipation I had waiting for this unit to ship...

Attachments

• 20220517_174252.jpg
    20220517_174252.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220517_114832_2.jpg
    20220517_114832_2.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Back