diy solar

diy solar

MPPsolar PIP6048MT inverter not reading/not reporting correct PV voltage and wattage in the morning

brainbyte

Hello Forum Colleagues,

I already posted this as a reply in a similar topic (Growatt inverter related, same problem), but I thought to also open a separate topic and try to get and advice on how potentially this problem can be resolved, from someone that experienced the same and maybe found a solution for it.

So long story short, this has happened/is happening to me with two different inverter models, from two different producers --> hybrid MPP Solar PIP6048MT 6kW, the one that I recently bought and I have now installed in my PV system, and the previous hybrid inverter from Powland 5kW (exact model does not matter now), that I have replaced. In the morning, the inverter does not see the real & correct PV panels voltage & wattage and keeps on pulling energy from battery to power the loads, even if I have the battery 100% charged (PYLONTECH US3000C - 1 unit), and I know for sure that the panels produce enough to cover my current home loads/appliances. Which by the way, are below 250Watts during the night and until the early morning. I have to cycle the inverter at least once or twice before the MPPT module kicks in as it should, and the voltage/wattage production is displayed properly. I even tried to "combine" the different settings available from prog. 2 and prog. 16, which are the source for powering the loads, and the charger source priority respectively. Nothing appears to be working from what I have tried, and I have to do the same thing each and every morning, when I want to switch from the utility/the grid, to the PVs. Is this related to an incorrect setting or a combination of settings that I might missed ? The inverter has a 500 volts VoC, and the MPPT voltage range is between 60v and 450v. My current PV configuration is formed of 12 panels in series (375W from Canadian Solar), so around 4,500Watts theoretical capacity. I would like to mention that my intention at some point is to add more PYL batteries and go totally off-grid/no utility power, and I am currently still testing the system. But I do not want to have to cycle the inverter each and every morning, to kick-start the MPPT module.

Anyone else that experienced the same problem and can bring some light ? Any additional information that I might have missed or useful advice, would be more than welcome and much appreciated. Thank you in advance !!!

Regards,

Sorin

... a quick update on this problem, after at least a week of close observations of the inverter`s behavior since early in the morning. So, if I leave the inverter alone, without restarting/re-cycling it, then eventually it will show the correct PV panels voltage and generated wattage. For some reason, this happens almost around the same time interval in the morning (around 10 AM). And I observed something else, when it shows low voltage from the panels, if I cycle only the panels once, then it shows a higher voltage and it stabilizes itself. Then I can shut-off the utility and switch on the inverter and panels without any issues. The conclusion is that, it might have to do with the MPPT algorithm which is programmed in it from the factory, or something related with the solar radiance in the early morning. I can`t find any other explanation to it, as this happened to a different inverter, as I already mentioned in my first post. Different producers, different models, but the exact same issue/behavior.

My current configuration is SBU + SNU or SBU + OSO. After I will supplement with more PYLONTECH units very soon, I will leave it only on SBU + OSO. My only other issue/question is, why when the PYL profile is selected in program #5, I am not able to raise the charging amperage, as it is currently limited by the inverter at 10 AMPS. If I change from PYL to any other profile, I can raise it to whatever value I want. Would this be related with the limited current that the PYLONTECH batteries should get during charging cycle ? But that is between 20 an 30 AMPS according to the manual.

Anyway, I hope the above information I provided following my recent experience and observations, will help anyone that has the same problem. So, no need to mess with the settings and no need to switch the inverter ON/OFF, just set it correctly from the start, and be patient in the morning, until the MPPT module eventually kicks in and starts working as it should.

Back