diy solar

diy solar

MPPT got lost?

Nobodybusiness

Collecting the leftovers of the Great Sky Reactor.
Weird thing happened today.

While observing MPPT1 on #1 inverter it was much less than others.

Strange I thought considering same panels in same sun.

Went out and measured voltages and connections and all seemed fine.

Finally I just switched off the disconnect for MPPT1 and waiting about 30 seconds

Turned it back on and tada everything hunky dory again.

Anyone else have this issue where MPPT loses its mind for a minute ?

Anyone else have this issue where MPPT loses its mind for a minute ?
Virtually all the common cheap equipment can exhibit this due slow processor function and/or rapidly brightening sun conditions.
PWM’s don’t seem to exhibit this issue.

What brand? Model?

My cheapo powrMR units ‘hunt’ a lot but don’t get “confused.”

Five or six times over 18mos my MPPSolar AIO has freaked out and gone to cycling 6W to zero W of charging. Turn off the panels for 5 minutes and it returns to normal; have it go overnight and it’s fine the next day.

The Epever tracer units will go beserk with voltage spiking in winter. They’ll shut down on ‘high voltage’ (apparently because the hardware or software can’t load the panels fast enough imho) and then cycle back up, shut down again. Repeatedly. Disconnecting the panels or overnight and they most often recover to normalcy without any drama.

Nobody I’ve seen with Victron, Samlex, the other to-shelf have ever complained of this.

A solution I haven’t proven is to never load the SCC’s more than 75% of ratings with solar and keep a safe but somewhat high high-voltage disconnect setpoint.

Virtually all the common cheap equipment can exhibit this due slow processor function and/or rapidly brightening sun conditions.
PWM’s don’t seem to exhibit this issue.

What brand? Model?

My cheapo powrMR units ‘hunt’ a lot but don’t get “confused.”

Five or six times over 18mos my MPPSolar AIO has freaked out and gone to cycling 6W to zero W of charging. Turn off the panels for 5 minutes and it returns to normal; have it go overnight and it’s fine the next day.

The Epever tracer units will go beserk with voltage spiking in winter. They’ll shut down on ‘high voltage’ (apparently because the hardware or software can’t load the panels fast enough imho) and then cycle back up, shut down again. Repeatedly. Disconnecting the panels or overnight and they most often recover to normalcy without any drama.

Nobody I’ve seen with Victron, Samlex, the other to-shelf have ever complained of this.

A solution I haven’t proven is to never load the SCC’s more than 75% of ratings with solar and keep a safe but somewhat high high-voltage disconnect setpoint.
It’s was one of the MPPT channels on my Sol-Ark.

Just pulled the voltage and reapplied and suddenly it worked.

Maybe it was working too hard in the other 2 channels.
?

MPPT getting stuck is definitely a problem. When I was 'researching' (reading up as much as I can that is on the internet), I saw posts going back 10 years with folks having issues with name brand MPPT charge controllers getting stuck. Victron even mentions it in their ad for their chargers as they say they've addressed it. When I look at my Victron graph, every 10 mins I see the output drop a lot as it sweeps the panel to make sure it isn't stuck.

It's a 'local maximum' thing. The controller moves a little in both directions and sees power drop so it thinks it is at the maximum. What it doesn't know is there is another maximum further away that is the real max.

FWIW, after updating the firmware in my Epever 4215bn, it no longer gets stuck.

Not expected…

Interesting. Mine had the latest- a year ago. When I reactivate the two I’m going to use I’ll look at it again. Be awesome if they fixed it!!
Contact customer service. They emailed me the firmware. I couldn't find it on their website.

Back