diy solar

diy solar

MPPT Voltage Range question

the_tux

Hi,
can somebody explain to me how to best fit panels in the MPPT voltage range?
Basically I'm looking on those MPP Solar / EA-Power All-In-One systems. Some of them have have a MPPT range of 30(or 60)-115V and the higher ones go from 120-430V.

I know with my solar panels I have to be within that range. Too high and things go boom. Too low and nothing charges.

Some of the more interesting models (with Bluetooth and detachable display) come with the higher range. I'm looking at Panasonic HIT Panels which come with a pretty high voltage of "up to 500VDC" and they start at 120V

VBHN340SJ53
Maximum Power (Pmax): 340W
Maximum Power Voltage (Vpm) 59.7V
Maximum Power Current (lpm) 5.70A
Open Circuit Voltage (Voc) 71.3V
Short Circuit Current (lsc) 6.13A

I wonder if going with 3 panels in series gives a combined Vpm of 179.1V. I can't find the voltage curve anywhere. Would that already be sufficient to provide some charging at cloudy weather or do I have to get further into the range? I don't know how much the voltage drops in bad conditions.

MPP AIO: http://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/PIP-GK.pdf
Panels: https://eu-solar.panasonic.net/cps/rde/xbcr/solar_en/HITplus_N340_340_335_Datasheet_EN.pdf

Thanks

Under load, the volt drops rapidly in shade...

Keep in mind you have to be lower input VOC in series than the charge controller can handle.

Thanks and that's why, with a lot of different panel configurations I tend to be stuck somewhere in between the 2 voltage ranges. Too high for one but not quite high enough for the other one (especially with 3).

Does anyone have experience how the voltage curve behaves and how much room the the bottom you need?

Thanks and that's why, with a lot of different panel configurations I tend to be stuck somewhere in between the 2 voltage ranges. Too high for one but not quite high enough for the other one (especially with 3).

Does anyone have experience how the voltage curve behaves and how much room the the bottom you need?

Many SCC manuals show the voltage curves.

Many SCC manuals show the voltage curves.

And I wouldn't buy one that didn't. No way to properly design a system without it. My panels and configuration were designed around my SCC so as to hit its sweet spot where it can process the maximum amount of power.

Back