diy solar

diy solar

MRBF fuse boot protector options

bishoptf

I have a small project and using a couple 12v lithium batteries and going to use MRBF terminal fuses to protect the circuits and while I like the idea the boot that they provide is a joke since it only protects the fuse circuit. You still have the terminal and bar going back to the terminal that is unprotected, pretty lame imho. I know there are some bigger square terminal boots that kind of work, and I came across eaton CB-CVR which looks like this:

eaton-cover.png

My other thought was to just 3d print a cover like they use on the bus bars with a cap, something like this:

bus-bar.png
Just thought I would see what else may be an option but kind of hard to believe they sell the MRBF's with just the one cover for the one stud.

Not sure if its what youre looking for but i use alot of these to cover battery terminals / shunt terminals and so on. They can stretch and sometimes i use a tyrap to hold it in place.

I went through this last week and found nothing.

I did get his

We can’t be the only people wanting a single post protector for a MRBF fuse.
I am wanting it to protect the MRBF post and the section back to the battery terminal post. I mean what good is puting a cover on the MRBF when I have the terminal and the bar going to it unprotected. I modified some terminal connectors and they kind of work but need to mess around some more and figure out a better solution.

I'm unfamiliar with those boots. Do you think that boot that will fit the MBRF fuse which either has a 5/16" or 3/8" stud and lug inside ?
1717416559540.png
I am wanting it to protect the MRBF post and the section back to the battery terminal post. I mean what good is puting a cover on the MRBF when I have the terminal and the bar going to it unprotected. I modified some terminal connectors and they kind of work but need to mess around some more and figure out a better solution.
I wanted something different. I wanted to fuse the battery internally and the one I linked would work to have the entire fuse and lug covered.

Attachments

• 1717416742500.png
    1717416742500.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
So, hear me out -

These terminal covers (note: this is my website): https://www.currentconnected.com/product/silicone-battery-terminal-cover/

Cut with a pair of scissors:View attachment 219440

View attachment 219441

What do you think? Is it crazy if it works?
If you were to make a product that completely enclosed all the metal, I'd purchase it. I've wasted hours of my time looking for one.

This is the Blue Sea 5196 I bought, and it is $56. I will probably return it because I don't need three posts, only one.
1717465050023.png
I want the MBRF inside the battery case and don't want metal exposed on the lugs to short with anything.

I have a small project and using a couple 12v lithium batteries and going to use MRBF terminal fuses to protect the circuits and while I like the idea the boot that they provide is a joke since it only protects the fuse circuit. You still have the terminal and bar going back to the terminal that is unprotected, pretty lame imho. I know there are some bigger square terminal boots that kind of work, and I came across eaton CB-CVR which looks like this:

View attachment 218604

My other thought was to just 3d print a cover like they use on the bus bars with a cap, something like this:

View attachment 218606
Just thought I would see what else may be an option but kind of hard to believe they sell the MRBF's with just the one cover for the one stud.
Accord to posts in this thread the covers you are considering will work.

I struck out trying to find a 3D print file, if you can draw something in a CAD program I'd try to replicate the OEM covers and print them with TPU.

If you were to make a product that completely enclosed all the metal, I'd purchase it. I've wasted hours of my time looking for one.

This is the Blue Sea 5196 I bought, and it is $56. I will probably return it because I don't need three posts, only one.
View attachment 219474
I want the MBRF inside the battery case and don't want metal exposed on the lugs to short with anything.
Why even use an MRBF at that point? Just switch to a MEGAfuse or something similar with a holder that has just one fuse.

Why even use an MRBF at that point? Just switch to a MEGAfuse or something similar with a holder that has just one fuse.
For lithium, The two fuses with high AIC are Class T and MRBF. Class T starts at 100 Amps, but I need a 60 amp fuse.

Currently protected by a ANL fuse.

Back