diy solar

diy solar

MRCOOL Ceiling Cassette

The issue with mini-splits, multi-zone is each ceiling cassette ( or wall air handler ) has a dedicated line set, thats alot of copper to be running around and places for leaks of the refrigerant.

My choice was a ducted mini-split, so you get all the advantages of variable load technology with a standard central air-handler.

The issue with mini-splits, multi-zone is each ceiling cassette ( or wall air handler ) has a dedicated line set, thats alot of copper to be running around and places for leaks of the refrigerant.

My choice was a ducted mini-split, so you get all the advantages of variable load technology with a standard central air-handler.
This works great for people who only need 1 unit, but don't have the wall space for the indoor unit.

I'm seriously considering one of these for my garage.

This works great for people who only need 1 unit, but don't have the wall space for the indoor unit.

I'm seriously considering one of these for my garage.
I wanted to thank you VERY MUCH for posting this. My wife and I decided to go with their furnace replacement unit and do central air since we have central air gas heat now.

It was going to cost $15,000 to get an ac place to do the system and with what I found on that site plus experience doing mini splits for years we decided to go with them for the entire house heating and cooling. The house is 4000 square feet so I'm going with 2 of the 3 ton units.

Again the wife and I wanted to thank you since you just saved us $8000 easy.

I wanted to thank you VERY MUCH for posting this. My wife and I decided to go with their furnace replacement unit and do central air since we have central air gas heat now.

It was going to cost $15,000 to get an ac place to do the system and with what I found on that site plus experience doing mini splits for years we decided to go with them for the entire house heating and cooling. The house is 4000 square feet so I'm going with 2 of the 3 ton units.

Again the wife and I wanted to thank you since you just saved us $8000 easy.
Right on! I'm trying to find where they are for sale though? I can only find their standard square/larger ceiling cassettes?

Right on! I'm trying to find where they are for sale though? I can only find their standard square/larger ceiling cassettes?
It could just be a pre release announcement.
Might take a little bit, before they hit the market.

I found the central units were getting on amazon but I dont see the cassettes on there. Maybe its too new of a product and not out yet?

I’m installing one of these right now. I’ve got the cassette electrical done and hole drilled for Lindsey but I need a very long ladder (20ft) in order to first mount the line set covers before I can go run the line set. Ask me if you need any impressions on the unit.

I’m installing one of these right now. I’ve got the cassette electrical done and hole drilled for Lindsey but I need a very long ladder (20ft) in order to first mount the line set covers before I can go run the line set. Ask me if you need any impressions on the unit.
Where did you get it?

Ducted are not as efficient due to losses from the ducts. That is well known. An air handler type has it's place in a home, don't get me wrong.

I remember when you mentioned it to me. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/best-way-to-use-excess-solar-to-offset-gas-heat.60418/post-748718

Mitsubishi has the one way ceiling cassette which fits in a 16"OC joist cavity.

Ceiling cassettes are great for rooms that don't have a good wall location. But do have attic space above.
And they're much less conspicuous.
I'm installing a Pioneer floor model in my living room now. Too many windows and I think the floor model will work better for the install and cleaning.

The funny thing is that I have 24” oc ceiling joists so I had to do some framing. Anyways, I like the look and it is installed at the edge of the room so the one side air flow works out well. I don’t know if it has horizontal swing or just vertical swing.

Ducted are not as efficient due to losses from the ducts. That is well known. An air handler type has it's place in a home, don't get me wrong.

My ducting is under R40 insulation so that's not an issue, running multi pairs of refrigerant/return lines aren't any better

I'm no A/C guy, but I'm pretty sure you also loose air speed with ducting, reducing your cooling capabilities as well.

No reduction with linesets up to 75' or 100' I think.

Ingram water and air is the primary retailer in the US for Mr. Cool.
I've bought three of the standard DIY split units from them, a 9, a 12, and a 24K btu. They've been fantastic.

I will say though, if you use them for heat they can get spendy. We still have the old LNG central furnace - the AC went out years ago. It's not that cold here, but wife works from home so I would set the gas furnace, then turn on the 2-ton unit for heat in the main part of the house with 15' ceilings - we got a $460 electric bill that month so I quit turning it on. Cost dropped back to $260 for the month.

So we use ours for cooling here in So-Cal. Electricity averages 47cents a kWh here. Ouch!

I'm no A/C guy, but I'm pretty sure you also loose air speed with ducting, reducing your cooling capabilities as well.

No reduction with linesets up to 75' or 100' I think.

I have a ECM motor ( variable speed ) with a programmable controller in the air handler, custom tuned to the home duct work. It runs at 20% with a timer to kick up to 40% if its been running for more than 15 minutes. Since the condenser ( MrCool 2/3 ton mini-split ) using refrigerant temperatures and 100% variable, it's a perfect solution.

Those that think more refrigerant lines ( one per room ) are a good thing don't understand where the typical failures are in AC / Heat pump system. ( hint refrigerant losses in the lines / connections ), not to mention the costs, your looking at easily $500 for 50 feet and good luck trying to get that routed in most homes.

Have a link to the ducted unit you bought?
It does seem like a good solution to a structure that already has ducting.

Although Ductwork definitely has loss and can have leaks. Especially old sheet metal ductwork.
I’ve never seen a copper line carring anything fail anywhere other than the connectors unless it was impacted or crushed by something, or corrosion is present.
That goes for fuel lines, water, and refrigerant.

Last edited:
Ingram water and air is the primary retailer in the US for Mr. Cool.
I've bought three of the standard DIY split units from them, a 9, a 12, and a 24K btu. They've been fantastic.

I will say though, if you use them for heat they can get spendy. We still have the old LNG central furnace - the AC went out years ago. It's not that cold here, but wife works from home so I would set the gas furnace, then turn on the 2-ton unit for heat in the main part of the house with 15' ceilings - we got a $460 electric bill that month so I quit turning it on. Cost dropped back to $260 for the month.

So we use ours for cooling here in So-Cal. Electricity averages 47cents a kWh here. Ouch!
Thanks for the info on the heat mode energy use.
Happen to know what generation and seer rating your mr cool units are?
I see they have gen 4 out now at costco.

Also are your units running on 220 or 120vac?

diy solar

diy solar
Back