diy solar

diy solar

Multiple fans using a single PWM controller, possible?

A.Justice

Swears he didn't start that fire.
I'm building a case that houses all of my DC components for my security system and lights, The case uses a relatively large server power supply unit (80a) and definitely produces some heat. I've added two fans on the top, and one on the bottom (as well as the additional hole that's there anyway).

The fans are all rated at under 1a, if I were to plug them parallel into a single PWM controller rated at 5 amps, would that create any sort of problems? All of the answers online are talking about adding fans to computer motherboards, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to hook three, two-wire DC fans in parallel directly to the PWM controller, to slow the speed down.

Would I need to use any sort of diode between the fans, or separate PWM controllers? There's lots of information about how to control the 3-4 wire fans, but not much on basic 2 wire DC controlling.

I'm building a case that houses all of my DC components for my security system and lights, The case uses a relatively large server power supply unit (80a) and definitely produces some heat. I've added two fans on the top, and one on the bottom (as well as the additional hole that's there anyway).

The fans are all rated at under 1a, if I were to plug them parallel into a single PWM controller rated at 5 amps, would that create any sort of problems? All of the answers online are talking about adding fans to computer motherboards, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I just want to hook three, two-wire DC fans in parallel directly to the PWM controller, to slow the speed down.

Would I need to use any sort of diode between the fans, or separate PWM controllers? There's lots of information about how to control the 3-4 wire fans, but not much on basic 2 wire DC controlling.
The pwm solar charge controllers I own won't turn on power output wise till they sense a battery connected. Not sure if all are that way but mine are.

I put these in my electronics cabinet to help with heat.

Comidox 2PCS DC 12V 4 Wire PWM PC CPU Fan Temperature Control Speed Controller Module CPU High-Temp Alarm https://a.co/d/8HB6IWG

The warmer it gets the faster the fans go. So far been working just fine. I control 2 fans off one board.

I don't know why I didn't think about that I have those on my remote control planes for prop speed :)

These are cheap and easy. I'd put one on each fan so you can control it independently if desired.

I actually have a whole box of those, super useful to have sitting around. You can use them to get rudimentary control of single color LED light strips as well.

I'll probably go ahead and make a little DIN rail mount that can control the fan speed with multiple controllers.

Hypothetically though, could I attach the two outlet fans to the same PWM controller, The inlet fan would definitely do better on its own, but the outlets really have no need to be running at different speeds.

Back