diy solar

diy solar

Multiplus wont switch back to grid after power loss

pda1

My system uses a Multiplus 24/2000 inverter

Recently, there was a grid power loss while on solar.
After the grid power was restored I couldn't get VRM to change the M+ from "Inverter" to "On".

So, what I did was to manually switch off the battery power to the M+ and then turn the battery power switch back on.
Once that was done I could control the M+ using VRM with no difficulty.

The M+ setting that may be effecting this is "Solar and wind priority"

Do you have any idea what M+ settings I should change so that I don't have to repeat process above?

Here are my M+ settings (they don't include Assistants as I've never worked with that)

Attachments

• 01- General Tab.png
    01- General Tab.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 09- Advanced Tab.png
    09- Advanced Tab.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 08- Virtual Switch VS options Tab.png
    08- Virtual Switch VS options Tab.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 07- Virtual Switch B Set VS OFF Tab.png
    07- Virtual Switch B Set VS OFF Tab.png
    57.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 06- Virtual Switch A Set VS ON Tab.png
    06- Virtual Switch A Set VS ON Tab.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 05- Virtual Switch Usage Tab.png
    05- Virtual Switch Usage Tab.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 04- Charger Tab.png
    04- Charger Tab.png
    40.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 03- Inverter Tab.png
    03- Inverter Tab.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 02- Grid Tab.png
    02- Grid Tab.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 11
Here are my M+ settings (they don't include Assistants as I've never worked with that)
Image 6 say to turn the Virtual Switch On at 24v but there's nothing telling it when to turn off. In Image #7, it doesn't look like you have any value set to tell the MultiPlus when to ignore AC Input.

Image 6 say to turn the Virtual Switch On at 24v but there's nothing telling it when to turn off. In Image #7, it doesn't look like you have any value set to tell the MultiPlus when to ignore AC Input.
Adam,

What do you recommend?

Adam,

What do you recommend?
Really it's up to you. Everyone will tell you a different value they set their "to grid" and "back to battery" settings at. I would probably look at setting it to at least 3.2v per cell so 25.6v. That's just me spit-balling though.

So when VDC is higher than 25.6v. I would probably set the time for at least a min or two just to make sure it's not high due to a voltage spike from charging the battery.

Really it's up to you. Everyone will tell you a different value they set their "to grid" and "back to battery" settings at. I would probably look at setting it to at least 3.2v per cell so 25.6v. That's just me spit-balling though.

So when VDC is higher than 25.6v. I would probably set the time for at least a min or two just to make sure it's not high due to a voltage spike from charging the battery.
I hope everyone understands what I'm asking.

My batteries are 2 BB in series for a 24v 100ah system.

Adam, they change you're suggesting- are those the settings in the picture;

06- Virtual Switch A Set VS ON Tab.png ???​

If so, would that be the only place the changes are made?

Thanks...again.

What’s your goal?

Do you want this to act as a UPS and maintain source for critical loads all the time, such that once grid has been restored it starts charging the batteries back to 100%? This being independent of battery charge/voltage.

Or would you want the batteries to continue discharging to a certain point (even if you have grid available)? Say 20% SOC and only then connect to grid and start charging back up?

@740GLE makes a good point. What is your ultimate goal?

You're using the Virtual Switch to control when the grid is connected to the inverter. By default anytime power is detected on the AC IN of the inverter, all loads will be powered by the AC IN. The Virtual Switch (or assistants) allow you to control when your inverter uses AC IN power vs battery power.

You have defined on your Image #6 when Vdc is lower than 24v for 20 seconds (it looks like "Udc" but it's actually supposed to be a V for voltage) you want the Virtual Switch to be On and stop ignoring AC IN. The problem is that you haven't defined when it's supposed to turn the Virtual Switch off and Ignore AC IN (switch from grid to battery power).

In Image 7 you need to set your parameters for when to switch back to battery power. Any text label that's a light grey is a value that hasn't been modified. The text will change to black signifying there's been a value set/changed. So you could change "When Vdc is higher than X for X seconds".

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 11.45.07.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-01 at 11.45.07.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
That's a good video but gets into too many variables and complexities.

By way of reiteration- the M+ is set for solar priority and the way it's configured the grid will not charge the batteries....which is the way I want it. Translated- I'm not paying $$$ for the grid to charge the batteries.

Description of- Solar and wind priority

My goal is described in brief here- What I want the M+ to do

Again, what happened the other day was the grid died while the solar system was charging the batteries and the inverter (M+) was providing AC to the loads.

Eventually the grid came back on, but the M+ mode couldn't be changed to "On" using the VRM portal (connection was fine).
"On" in the M+ VRM portal settings-
Here's what that screen looks like-

vrm ON.png

As the batteries SOC got lower I needed to change mode setting to "On". The only thing that changed was the control was set to "On" but the M+ was still inverting. No, the transfer switch didn't operate.

So, I just turned the M+ off for a few seconds then turned it back on. At that point the I could switch the M+ mode to "On" to feed grid AC to the loads and everything worked fine.

Honestly, fellas, I'm having a heck of time understanding the complexities of the M+. It does a great job and I control it using the cerbo- simply changing the AC source from either Inverting or "On" (which is grid feeding the loads). But if the thing's going to "lock me out" from being able to the switch it back to "On" ("On" as described above) it'll be frustrating.
I know there's a lot descriptions about how to configure it. I'm one of the dumb ones.

So perhaps I should say this;

I do not want the grid to charge the batteries (unless I specifically tell it to do so using VRM portal)
I want to be able to manually switch to grid or solar at my choosing (Solar-wind-priority does that)

It would be nice to have the M+ automatically change from solar to grid when the SOC or battery voltage gets below a certain point. I don't know if the M+ monitors battery voltage or SOC accurately. The system does have BMV-712 which is monitored by the cerbo.

Any ideas are much appreciated.

diy solar

diy solar
Back