diy solar

diy solar

mutliplus-II grounding question , static system

hi all quick question

I'm looking at grounding my victron multiplus 2 , 3000/48 model

Static off grid, 4kw of solar with on an mppt , 15kwh gel batteries . LPG(propane) generator for back up. Ground rod installed near system (25 foot away).

The plant is to run 1.5mm² or 2.5mm² earth cable from ground rod to the multiplus case ground lug (#F on this diagram)

49056-1677049251152.png

Is that all correct ? am I missing anything

Help much appreciated

You should have a main AC breaker panel and that's where neutral and ground are bonded and where the ground rod is connected. Inverter gets grounded to the main panel.

How are you connecting your AC loads to the multiplus?

Consumer unit box , with RCD , breakers , earth bar

You should have a main AC breaker panel and that's where neutral and ground are bonded and where the ground rod is connected. Inverter gets grounded to the main panel.

I'm not sure about neutral ground bond or how it's done here in the UK ? I don't think our consumer units have a neutral ground bond

All the PE/Ground connection points are bonded together inside the inverter. If your breaker box already has a ground inside it, when you connect that to your MP2, it should be grounded as well.

If your breaker box has a g/n bond already, you'll need to disable the "ground relay" in the MP2. By default that relay is enabled.

The utility does it for you.
If off grid, you do it.
The Multiplus may do it for you. (Check the settings)

Victron manual confirms neutral ground bond when in inverter mode , unbonded when AC is incoming

Thank you for your answers much appreciated

In the UK they rely on the grid to provide the N/G bond.

It wouldn't, being a consumer unit.

Perfect
(but, still should confirm)

that's true in town but out here in the rural parts of UK we have what's called TT system , each house has it's own ground rod and I think the ground is kept completely separate from the neutral

that's true in town but out here in the rural parts of UK we have what's called TT system , each house has it's own ground rod and I think the ground is kept completely separate from the neutral
In a TT system, the RCD is even more important. Because it's the only protection against electrical shock hazzard.

Electrical safety systems are designed to protect the people who don't have common sense. lol

diy solar

diy solar
Back