diy solar

diy solar

MY Newbie SOLAR POWER PROJECT

Jim Burrow

Solar Enthusiast
Well, I am getting there with my Solar Project for the house?

The system excepts 110vac from either the utility company or Gas generator. Or from the solar/battery combination.
At this moment in time, the Utility will be set up as primary with the battery and Solar as a backup. – money issues retired and not rich!

Shown in the image below is the Power transfer box, with a set of switches (A, B, and C) that excepts input power from either the utility company or a gas generator via switch “A”.

Switch “B” diverts the 110vac from either the gas generator or the Utility company to either the Solar converter/inverter (PIP-2424LV-MDS) box or directly to the house sub-circuit breaker panel box.

The function of switch “C” is to either divert the Utility/gas 110vac to the Sub-panel or from the Power Converter to the Sub-panel.

The Power Converter (pip-2424lv-mds) can be programmed to have the Utility company be the primary source of power and the Solar/battery be backup incase the Utility power goes out. Or the solar can be programmed as Primary with the Utility kicking in if the solar and battery power drops below threshold setting. No matter how the system is set up, all combinations will keep the battery charged.

I will have the system set up for the Utility to be Primary as I do not have the Lithium batteries and Solar panels yet. Right now, I’m just using (2) 12v-35ah junk lead-acid batteries connected in series for 24vdc that I found in a throwaway bin.

During testing, I used a 300-watt floor fan which is close to what power my house requires for the everyday activity (computer, TV’s, refrigerator, and a couple of fans and lights). Note that the system only controls the black wire side of the breaker panel (110vac between the Black wire and the white wire)

The cloth washer and dryer and heater breakers are moved to the red wire side of the breaker box (110vac between the Red wire and white wire) While there is still 220vac between the Black wire and Red wire for the Air Conditioner.

With respect to the junk batteries, they ran the 300-watt floor fan for 1 hour before the Utility power took over.

Still have more work on rubber insolation of the wire lugs for power going into and out of the box for safety and to seal the clear box from moister. Then get an electrician to install it for house insurance reasons. Installation must be done by a licensed electrician.

So far, I have a little over $600 invested in this project.

Figure #1 - Solar Project setting on my workbench. On the left is my Power Transfer box and on the right is the power controller. In the transfer box, the double pole, double throw switches are in the Utility power position to bypass the controller and go directly to the house sub-breaker panel.

1599346697806.png

Well, I am getting there with my Solar Project for the house?

The system excepts 110vac from either the utility company or Gas generator. Or from the solar/battery combination.
At this moment in time, the Utility will be set up as primary with the battery and Solar as a backup. – money issues retired and not rich!

Shown in the image below is the Power transfer box, with a set of switches (A, B, and C) that excepts input power from either the utility company or a gas generator via switch “A”.

Switch “B” diverts the 110vac from either the gas generator or the Utility company to either the Solar converter/inverter (PIP-2424LV-MDS) box or directly to the house sub-circuit breaker panel box.

The function of switch “C” is to either divert the Utility/gas 110vac to the Sub-panel or from the Power Converter to the Sub-panel.

The Power Converter (pip-2424lv-mds) can be programmed to have the Utility company be the primary source of power and the Solar/battery be backup incase the Utility power goes out. Or the solar can be programmed as Primary with the Utility kicking in if the solar and battery power drops below threshold setting. No matter how the system is set up, all combinations will keep the battery charged.

I will have the system set up for the Utility to be Primary as I do not have the Lithium batteries and Solar panels yet. Right now, I’m just using (2) 12v-35ah junk lead-acid batteries connected in series for 24vdc that I found in a throwaway bin.

During testing, I used a 300-watt floor fan which is close to what power my house requires for the everyday activity (computer, TV’s, refrigerator, and a couple of fans and lights). Note that the system only controls the black wire side of the breaker panel (110vac between the Black wire and the white wire)

The cloth washer and dryer and heater breakers are moved to the red wire side of the breaker box (110vac between the Red wire and white wire) While there is still 220vac between the Black wire and Red wire for the Air Conditioner.

With respect to the junk batteries, they ran the 300-watt floor fan for 1 hour before the Utility power took over.

Still have more work on rubber insolation of the wire lugs for power going into and out of the box for safety and to seal the clear box from moister. Then get an electrician to install it for house insurance reasons. Installation must be done by a licensed electrician.

So far, I have a little over $600 invested in this project.

Figure #1 - Solar Project setting on my workbench. On the left is my Power Transfer box and on the right is the power controller. In the transfer box, the double pole, double throw switches are in the Utility power position to bypass the controller and go directly to the house sub-breaker panel.

View attachment 21977
Looks like you're "getting there", congratulations!
Consider mounting that inverter on some standoffs (some airspace between it and that particle board). Also mount it vertically for heat flow--don't want to burn it up before PV and more Ah batteries.
Are you planning on mounting that 'plexiglass' power transfer box outside? Maybe look for a NEMA outdoor enclosure box:
WH-16 Hinged Nema Enclosure- Polycase

Looks like you're "getting there", congratulations!
Consider mounting that inverter on some standoffs (some airspace between it and that particle board). Also mount it vertically for heat flow--don't want to burn it up before PV and more Ah batteries.
Are you planning on mounting that 'plexiglass' power transfer box outside? Maybe look for a NEMA outdoor enclosure box:
WH-16 Hinged Nema Enclosure- Polycase
Yes, the power transfer box will be right next to the 2424lv converter as seen in the photo. Both will be directly below the house sub-breaker box. Everything is outside, but under a carport, so the rain can't get to them. - I miss my old house and my garage. I still don't understand why the wife wanted to downsize into a moble park.

With respect to the air cap under the controller, this is a build-in air cap about an inch high. Setting on my workbench and running a 300-watt load for an hour, the controller didn't warm up anymore then ambient temperature. But after I mount the system on my house external wall, I will monitor the controller temperature for many days to make sure there is no heat build-up as you pointed out. If there is a heart problem, it will be no problem mounting a larger standoff. My house on the average runs between 300 watts to 600 watts, excluding the microwave to heat my coffee.

With respect to my Utility cord, the external cord runs from the Utility meter 3 feet away to the house sub-breaker box. All I will be doing is having an electrician cut the cord (4 - 0/1 wires, Red, Black, White, Green) and connecting them to my power transfer switches input/output lugs. Everything in the power transfer switch box is rated for over 100 amps. My house power service on only 50 amps, so everything is overkill.

The breaker on the Utility box is 50 amps and then there is another 50 amp breaker inside the sub-panel. So my power box is protected at both ends.

I might be an Electronic Engineer (retired for 25 years), but we (at least me) can be quite stupid when dealing with things I have never built. So I really appreciate all the people in this group for their help with tips and reviews of workmanship. - Thanks so much!

Cool, those are some serious looking A/B/C switches. Are they sealed under plexi - don't you need to use them to switch power sources?

Cool, those are some serious looking A/B/C switches. Are they sealed under plexi - don't you need to use them to switch power sources?
When I need to change the power source, I just remove the plastic box for a moment to reposition the switches where I want them then put the box back on to seal them from the weather.

Back