diy solar

diy solar

My RV either runs 120v or 12v but not both

acor

Hello,
I am new to everything. Electrical and solar.

I set up the eg4 6500 inverter with the 48v battery into my rv. Now the problem that I'm having is that the battery is only allowing the inverter to work or the 12v system to work, but not both. If both are connected then the battery turns on the alarm and shuts down. I am still trouble shooting to see what it could be.

Solar panels are still not connected.

I'm trying to see if anyone had a similar experience.

Quick note. The RV had a 50watt solar panel and a 1 x 12 volt battery connected it and it RV worked fine when I connected to the grid.

Last edited:
How is shore power connected or interfaced to the 120V inverter system?
Originally it was connected to the 50amp breaker that would feed power to the 120v to the rv. I replaced the shore power with 120v inverter cables.

Did you connect the inverter hot leg to both poles on the 50A breaker?

In the original post you mentioned "the" 48V battery. So its only one 48V battery? What size? The 6500 Inverter is capable of pulling up to 140A or more for short periods. Many 48V batteries are limited to 100A by the BMS. Only guessing here, as sunshine_eggo said, we need a drawing of the system.

Did you connect the inverter hot leg to both poles on the 50A breaker?

In the original post you mentioned "the" 48V battery. So its only one 48V battery? What size? The 6500 Inverter is capable of pulling up to 140A or more for short periods. Many 48V batteries are limited to 100A by the BMS. Only guessing here, as sunshine_eggo said, we need a drawing of the system.
Yes, I connected the hot to the 50amp breaker.

Something that I saw that was interesting. When I check for continuity on the rv circuit breaker some of the neutrals and the hot are beeping. I took out the wire and breaker that caused the issue but still same issue, no 120v and 12v.

Back