diy solar

diy solar

My Solar Shed Construction Starts in a Week

All of that right here:

and its a single pv string array, so no ocpd needed.
That's awesome. Very helpful.

Can you link to that L bracket online? I can't find anything like it at HomeDepot.com. That's exactly what I want though. It looks like it somehow raises the panel off the 2x4s. And, once hooked to the panel, can just screw the panel onto the 2x4s, which makes it very easy to mount. But can't see how you have it hooked onto the panel and how it is raised.

Have you given consideration to backfeeding the inverter output into this panel via a breaker just to have additional breaker protection and flexibility, rather than using the main lugs, or do those wires already have their own breakers on them?
That's a good question because my inverter feeds a 10 circuit manual transfer switch subpanel, and I never understood why on earth they didn't include breakers for the main inputs. You can't otherwise really toss in extra breakers in the normal slots for it because they are hooked up to the bus bars. You could do what you said, but wasn't sure if the breakers will function to spec if the current is coming in the other direction. Plus there is the code consideration.

It does look like he has slots for main breakers:

1581199092861.png

It is a 6x10 Tuff Shed. Total cost was 2,500 bucks. It will have air conditioning to keep my LiFePO4 battery collection nice and happy. I will install a MASSIVE 48v 5kw system in it (this one). It will serve as a backup system for my house if the grid were to fail for prolonged duration. And as a super cool man cave:

View attachment 66
This is how I designed it to fit into my back yard and to match the color scheme of my house:
View attachment 65
I will have the front door facing north, and the south facing roof covered in solar panels. This MPP unit has 2x mppt's, so I will have 2x separate arrays on my property. Will talk about the solar panel array in another post.

The hardest part of this system is temperature regulation. It will be 110 degrees plus here in vegas. Luckily, we have lots of sunshine to run air conditioners off of solar power. If I can regulate the temperature of this shed with a couple of small ground mounted arrays, I will consider it a success.

What I love about sheds is that you can store/charge dangerous chemistries of batteries inside of them without the stress of having your house burned down. I do not use combustible batteries for solar (as many of you know haha) but I have some long range fpv drones I will be building in the following months. I have caught those batteries on fire too many times! And I am scared of them. I will charge them only in this shed.

I will also add lights, security cameras and so much more. I can't wait!

Let me know what you think or if I should add something :)
Perhaps a smoke detector?

Are you not worried about leaks by screwing directly into the roof like that? Water/snow can also sit against the edge of the panel as it's not raised. I guess if you use roofing tar on the screw heads and keep on top of maintaining it you should be ok.

Are you not worried about leaks by screwing directly into the roof like that? Water/snow can also sit against the edge of the panel as it's not raised. I guess if you use roofing tar on the screw heads and keep on top of maintaining it you should be ok.
I'm sealing it next. I'm on my roof right now.

Yeah guess the sealing should do especially if you don't get any snow there's less chance of water sitting on it for long.

I would use a flashing and rack system with pest control if weather was different. My biggest concern is wind in the desert. So I'm bolting into the studs. And using a safety line. That's what I care about here

Can you put in a DC supercharger yet? Make all the local CEO's jealous hmm is it even possible. This will be a great video.

I would use a flashing and rack system with pest control if weather was different. My biggest concern is wind in the desert. So I'm bolting into the studs. And using a safety line. That's what I care about here
Will, I really need to find L brackets like the ones you used to fasten your panels to the 2x4s in your video... the ones that go against your concrete wall. I could not find those types of L brackets online at HD. But, that's exactly what I need this month. I want to put all the panels on 2x4s and go from there. Your brackets are unique in that they somehow raised the panels off the boards. Can you provide more detail on that if you cannot find a link to the bracket online? Do you have an extra bracket you can show a zoomed pict of?

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I saw in the video. IDK. But, the idea of putting a bracket on a panel first, then easily screwing into wood, and having it raised, is 100% what I need.

Will, I really need to find L brackets like the ones you used to fasten your panels to the 2x4s in your video... the ones that go against your concrete wall. I could not find those types of L brackets online at HD. But, that's exactly what I need this month. I want to put all the panels on 2x4s and go from there. Your brackets are unique in that they somehow raised the panels off the boards. Can you provide more detail on that if you cannot find a link to the bracket online? Do you have an extra bracket you can show a zoomed pict of?

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what I saw in the video. IDK. But, the idea of putting a bracket on a panel first, then easily screwing into wood, and having it raised, is 100% what I need.
Oh it's just a cheap solar panel z bracket. That's what they are called and easily found on Amazon. They will work great

Oh it's just a cheap solar panel z bracket. That's what they are called and easily found on Amazon. They will work great
LOL I was thinking it should be called a Z bracket. I think you said L bracket in video. I rewound it and replayed several times, and concluded you said "L bracket". :) I shall search for a Z bracket. Thanks!

EDIT: Hah! I just searched HD for "Z bracket" and they are made by WindyNation and Renegy. Clearly, this is a solar use case.

Let me kick off the upcoming nitpicking.

Are those UL approved 2 by 4's ? :cool:
:ROFLMAO:
Well, Will is about to see why Aluminium & Pressure Treated wood DO NOT GO TOGETHER. I used PT for my rack frame but with rubber isolators to prevent any contact and stainless bolts which are PT safe.

Back