diy solar

diy solar

NE Solar 370W solar panel review

I'll check them closer whenever the next sunny day is... I didn't see any hotspots when I checked them a few weeks ago.

Attachments

• img_thermal_1702741839148.jpg
    img_thermal_1702741839148.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3
  • img_thermal_1702741607663.jpg
    img_thermal_1702741607663.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3
You would have to look behind the panel because thick glass will spread the heat and obscure the hot spot. EVA film is a lot thinner and would transmit a sharper thermal image. I also have a FLIR cam and will test this on a sunny day.

PCB soldering of components is supposed to have a fillet, rather than a ball or convex shape.

Could it be the amount of solder on joints of these NE panels is correct as shown?

Could it be the amount of solder on joints of these NE panels is correct as shown?
There are other joints that do have visible solder around the wire on those pads that does look like a fillet and some look like balls. The concern is there are so many completely dry pads on every panel and on almost every cell. I am looking for macro lens for my DSLR cam to show it better.

Last edited:
PCB soldering of components is supposed to have a fillet, rather than a ball or convex shape.

You know a lot more than me on that subject.
I just know they perform. My only complaint is I wish the leads were long enough to skip wire. (It might be possible flipping panel around)

MPPT 1 7S2P in the attached is a sunny day recently.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240110-165240.jpg
    Screenshot_20240110-165240.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 13
I took a closer image of the cell and it looks like some of those dry pads are actually soldered. There is so little solder that it's hard to see by naked eye. I need a microscope lol.
IMG_0444c.JPG IMG_0444c2.JPG

Last edited:
I'll check them closer whenever the next sunny day is... I didn't see any hotspots when I checked them a few weeks ago.
Total digression but...what thermal camera do you have? I had FLIR for my phone that one day decided to not power on anymore and I can't decide on what one to get next.

Total digression but...what thermal camera do you have? I had FLIR for my phone that one day decided to not power on anymore and I can't decide on what one to get next.
I'm using the Uni-T. Based off feedback here and the minimal permissions the app requests I am happy.
I use a phone FLIR at work, I'd say the FLIR resolution is a a little better but I like the Uni-T more.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $109.00 50%OFF | UNI-T Thermal Camera UTi120 Mobile Phone Thermal Imager for Phone for Android IOS Type-C UTi260M Infrared Thermal Imager

We go through a lot of Lightning cables, buy them 5 at a time.
Not so bad when they cost around $6 each (and I'm glad it isn't the mating connector in iPhone that wears out), but do docked devices like IR camera for phone stop working just due to connector wearing out?

I applied 42V 10A to second panel that was scratched but not shattered to look for hot spots from poorly soldered cell wire interconnects. Discovered 3 hot spots across 4 cells that were hit by the forklift through first shattered panel. No hot spots or anomalies anywhere else.

FLIR0085.jpg FLIR0082.jpg

The setup:

20240111_230353_resized.jpg 20240111_232603_resized.jpg 20240110_110908_resized.jpg

My supervisor says hi.
FLIR0009.jpg

Last edited:
I took a closer image of the cell and it looks like some of those dry pads are actually soldered. There is so little solder that it's hard to see by naked eye. I need a microscope lol.
View attachment 188157 View attachment 188162
I appreciate your attention to detail. Page prior had me concerned. This follow up dropped the blood pressure
Side note
I’m a bit bummed in hindsight at our photo upload size discussion a few weeks back as I was simply fighting for the largest file possible hoping you wouldn’t catch on, but between your typical analysis and your photography hobby, as well as seemingly computer saviness you were 3 steps ahead. Well done ?

I appreciate your attention to detail. Page prior had me concerned. This follow up dropped the blood pressure
Well.. I am still not sure about this. The research I am reading on MBB wire stringing suggest that poor solder bump formation would accelerate cell interconnect failure from solder micro cracks caused by temperature cycling fatigue. I am still very concerned that these panels will begin failing few years into service. But at least they will pay for themselves in 9 months so that's how long they have to last for me to get my money's worth. Next time I will definitely pay extra for guaranteed quality panels.
I’m a bit bummed in hindsight at our photo upload size discussion a few weeks back as I was simply fighting for the largest file possible hoping you wouldn’t catch on, but between your typical analysis and your photography hobby, as well as seemingly computer saviness you were 3 steps ahead. Well done ?
Thanks I appreciate it. I noticed that some images took long time to load and some of them were 10 Mbyte each. That also wasted a ton of storage space on this server which adds up to higher hosting expense. I would like to help keep this forum free of ads and fee of charge and making it data usage efficient is one way to achieve that. I think most users here don't really need 15 Mpixel images of various wires and other mundane stuff. For special cases it's possible to post links to google cloud or external image hosting.

Did first test in the sun today. Highest peak output I got was 736 watts / 2 = 368w each. Sky was hazy with light clouds.
panels.jpg clouds.jpg

Last edited:
Worst cell I found so far. 32 of 45 solder pads (71%) are missing solder bumps. Also testing maximum image size the forum will accept without resizing. Looks like 1920 pix wide is the max.IMG_0445-small.jpg

Back