diy solar

diy solar

Need a little help

Trout

8CB6279C-56D0-479C-AD84-7F3593D8AE27.jpegJust another off grid cabin build .
I’ve been lurking on this forum for a year or so, trying to get a set of brains for my build . While it’s been incredibly informative I’m still a bit intimidated by you guys and the build , so here’s my drawing and specs . I could really use some hard answers and comments. Just trying to get it going . Thanks in advance for any help .

Attachments

• 6E57C38B-EA27-48DE-939C-FAF54EC311C4.png
    6E57C38B-EA27-48DE-939C-FAF54EC311C4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Yeah, the deer and turkeys at my place are worthless helpers too. :)

OK, a few things:

You have a breaker between your generator and your MPP, you can skip that as the generator already has a breaker on it. Same with the breaker between the AC output and the load panel. Your load panel breakers are doing the job, no need to overcomplicate. You can use 10AWG for that as the unit is only 30a rated.

The battery disconnect breaker between the bus bars and the MPP should be 120a, you don't need the breakers between the batteries and the bus bar.

#4AWG would be plenty thick and easier to work with pretty much everywhere you have 1/0 listed. That would already be overkill for your system. Spec wise you could go with 8AWG but 4 gives you more fudge factor. 1/0 buys you nothing but expense.

Your panels don't need fuses either to the MPP, you're still under the max VoC even if it gets stupid cold out. The disconnect locally is useful for servicing so I'd stick with that.

That's all I've got for now.

Thanks man , I was afraid I was going to hear crickets on my post .
I’ll probably just use# 2 awg welding lead on all of those 1/0 areas cause I have a bunch of it at the shop . Same with the # 8 s , got a ton of it from a job . The input on the battery to mpp breaker was big medicine. I really wasn’t sure about that . I want to buy got safety components so any input on brands I’d appreciate. I’ll probably post some questions on my battery set up in the near future. But thanks again for your help
Hop

I'm actually planning a very similar system myself, although I'm having a hard time choosing an AIO since MPP doesn't have a 3kw/24v model anymore and it's hard to eat $800 for a Growatt 3kw/24v when I can get the PowMr 3kw/24v made by the same company (Tenmank) for $550. Granted it doesn't do paralleling or support split phase or have as pretty a case, but I don't need either of those.

Either way, the Stetion 150a seems to be a well regarded way to go for the main battery breaker.

Yeah, I've been eyeballing some of that welding cable in the shop myself... have lugs & crimpers handy... :unsure:

Last edited:
I’m now planning on using some of these valence batteries in my system now I acquired 20 or so from a job , but the genius’s that were using them depleted them to the point of no return. I was able to bring 7 back to life . I’ll use six in my system 2s3p. I know several people talked about breaking them down and using parts . I’m not interested in that but anyone can have them if they want them . You can see the voltages written on them . I’ve been unable to bring them back if they were below 6vts

I’m now planning on using some of these valence batteries in my system now I acquired 20 or so from a job , but the genius’s that were using them depleted them to the point of no return. I was able to bring 7 back to life . I’ll use six in my system 2s3p. I know several people talked about breaking them down and using parts . I’m not interested in that but anyone can have them if they want them . You can see the voltages written on them . I’ve been unable to bring them back if they were below 6vts
DE678656-45F9-4948-80BC-76BDEA69B4A8.jpeg

Back