diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice: Generator or More Battery

mike616

I just finished my first solar build on my RV a few weeks ago and drove across the country with it. We are currently boondocking at my sister's house.

I have 2x 3kW Growatt inverters, 3.2kW of PV panels, and 10kWh of 24v LiFePO batteries.

Over the last two weeks, I've discovered that I do not have enough batteries to run the AC for very long during the night and be able to recharge them fully the next day while also running the AC if it is over 95 degF outside. That's in full sunlight. Where we are parked is very shady and I doubt I'll get more than 50% of my PV power rating during the day. But it's very humid and stays quite warm at night.

I could fit one more of the EG4 24V 200Ah batteries in my rig but there are two downsides to this: they are around $1500 plus shipping each and that only really gets me about 2 more hours of AC runtime at night.

The other option is to go with a generator for supplementing the nighttime use. I feel like an idiot for going this route because for the money I spent on this solar system, I could have bought a great generator. Plus I may not be able to use it while boondocking at other Harvest Host sites on the way home.

I'm considering a something like the Honda EU2200i (or the Harbor Freight equivalent) but this will only be able to provide power to one of my inverters. They are configured to run in split phase and I think they'll only work if both inverters are getting shore power.

Or, I could use the generator to power a 24V battery charger and hook that up to my battery bank. This should offset my power drain during the night. I don't know if this is feasible but it's an idea I had.

Any advice you all have on supplementing battery power with a generator is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

From what you describe, it sounds like the solar is not generating enough power. If the power generated from solar can't be increased, then added batteries would be of marginal help. The questions should really be more/better solar or generator.

You will want the full power of the generator going into the batteries. So a small charger may not be helpful.

I would contact the business you purchased the the GroWatts from and ask them:
1. Can you charge on only 120v?
2. Can you easily set the input amps… 15a for this generator or plugging a standard extension cord then 30a for a cheap RV park and 50a split for a nice rv park.

If the GroWatts must have split phase 240v - then you need two Honda’s with the split phase cord or permanent install an autoformor. (Converts 120v to 240v).

My option is to not boondock the RV where it is Hot & Humid - that is when you need the RV park.

The way I look at it is if you're reaching 100% charge before the sun goes down you've hypothetically got room for more battery :)

A generator is a good as well, even if you won't be able to use it all the time, it's still a solid backup option.

In full sun, I've got plenty of PV. The issue is the warm evenings and nights.

The battery charger approach won't work now that I did some math. Best I can get is 16A at 24V which is not enough at all to offset the power consumption of the AC.

My best bet at this point is a generator I think. A generator with a split phase 50A output would be best but they are large and expensive and I'm not sure where I could store it.

Or I can get a smaller generator which has a 30A plug. Then plug my RV into that with an adapter plug. However, I think this will deliver the same phase power to both legs though which I'm not sure if that's wise.

It all boils down to 1 thing, are your batteries at 100% SOC at the end of the solar day? If yes then more batteries, if not more solar.

They are Coleman Mach not sure which series but they run on 120VAC
You could probably just install a way to switch power to the A/C units from a sufficient sized small generator and bypass the rest of the system.

ETA: You could even set up it as a plug in style so that either the generator or an extension cord from the sisters house.

Last edited:
Back