diy solar

diy solar

NEM 2.0 about to go to new TOU (5-8pm or 4-9pm) Cal IOUs

SunnySoCal

If this is covered elsewhere, please advise. I did look...and did find several NEM 3.0 threads and read through most but posting here to "cut to the chase" for those on NEM 2.0 that are unaware of the consequence of what will happen to your bill when you transition. Those contemplating going solar on NEM 2.0 before the ST kicks in might take a long/hard look especially if you're looking at ROI.

I'm on NEM 2.0 having missed NEM 1.0 by about 2 months due mostly to college funding obligations at the time. Thus, I was one of the first NEM 2.0 installs. I know that all or most of the NEM 1.0 folks got "the letter" by now (but can stay on Tiered, or go back to, from my understanding) and I was disturbed to find "the letter" in October because my PTO was Oct 2017, and thus I thought I should have had one more year. Thinking it was a mistake I had many phone calls with my provider only to eventually find (own my own) that the tariff stipulates that the 5-year grandfathering on my TOU rate was either date of changeover to TOU or PTO, whichever came first. I'd gone TOU before PTO so at least I was able to get a solid "in-writing" answer.

That said, just warning those currently on favorable TOU rate (peak rate during afternoons) you might be shocked at what is about to happen. My carrier's estimate was that my yearly cost would (based on the previous year's usage) was going from <$200/yr to ~$1,200/yr... which is more than what my bill was before going solar!

In year's past I've had $50 - $200/year bill (including NBCs) while averaging producing ~75-80% of my total consumption. Now with the new peak rate in the late afternoon/evening even if you produce 100% of your total consumption you will still have a significant bill. I worked with a guy that some of you may have heard of but he's not in the role I first met him in back in 2017 (actually moved to another state) but he was a huge solar advocate and worked for the solar homeowners with presentations and papers sent into Ca Public Utilities Commision (CPUC) for many years. I will post the link below but here's from a paper he wrote in December 2019 arguing against the new TOU rates (note in his paper he bolded 40%, 44%, $10,000 and "slow solar adoption"):

III. Effects on Solar Homeowners of Change from NEM 1.0 to NEM 2.0 The addition of Nonbypassable Charges (NBCs) in NEM 2.0 did not greatly increase costs to solar homeowners. But what has hit solar homeowners very hard has been the several changes in Time of Use (TOU) rate schedules. We have alerted Energy Division to these effects, but we’ll restate them here. The change in the Peak rate period from noon - 8:00pm weekdays to 2:00pm to 8:00pm weekdays was somewhat costly for homeowners. But it was nothing compared to the now mandatory Peak rate switch to 4:00pm to 9:00pm. The switch from NEM 1.0 on TOU-D-A with January 1, 2017 Peak rates from 2:00pm - 8:00pm to NEM 2.0 on TOU-D-4-9 with current Peak rates from 4:00pm - 9:00pm requires the average SCE homeowner (whose bill without solar averages about $200 per month) to get a solar system about 40% larger to achieve the same optimal result - reducing the SCE bill as close as possible to zero. The full change from NEM 1.0 on TOU-D-A with Peak rates noon - 8:00pm all the way to the current NEM 2.0 on TOU-D-4-9 with Peak rates 4:00pm - 9:00pm requires a 44% larger system to minimize SCE bills. This percentage is probably close for the other IOUs as well. This fact does not appear to be generally known, including at the CPUC. One consequence of this drastic change is the cost of a solar system to a homeowner. An increase of 44% means that an adequate size system would cost about $10,000 more than an adequate size one would have cost before this change. Another consequence is that homeowners who purchased adequate size systems under the TOU-D-A noon-8:00pm or TOU-D-A 2:00pm-8:00pm peak rates will no longer have adequate size systems when they are forced onto the new TOUD-4-9 rates. Their electricity bills will skyrocket. They will be forced either to pay these higher rates or add more panels and inverter(s) to their system, but be subject to various constraints when they try to do so. Finally, this drastic blow to the economic advantages of acquiring residential solar is bound to slow solar adoption throughout California, in contradiction to the state’s legislated goals. Has any of this been taken into account when authorizing these changes in the TOU time periods? 4 Please remember that there are presently a bit over 1,000,000 homes in California that have solar, and that another 10,000,000 or so will be suitable for solar in the future. This must not be jeopardized on the altar of load balancing. Itron should focus specifically on these effects to solar homeowners, past and future, as well as state solar goals. A careful analysis is needed.

Of course, his advice was ignored. I'd exchanged e-mails with him a couple of months ago (when I was shocked with "the letter") and he basically has/had given up on California's "take" on solar.

So what can be done? If you want to keep your current yearly cost the same, you will need a combination of less consumption or more production (by about 40%). My understanding is that one can add 1 kW or 10% (anyone know if this is lesser of or either??) but at this point in time I probably won't do this...especially if the lesser of as I have a pretty small install as it is. I typically have "stored up" kWh "credits" going into the summer to be "spent" on window AC units. What I'm considering doing is manually shutting down (I went 5-8 pm vs 4-9 pm for this reason) my ACs from 5-8pm as one step. Even though I can readily afford the additional bill I'm still quite disappointed. However, as a retired EE I've long known everything in life is electropolitical.

NEM and rates are two different issues. Rates apply across the board to all users not just NEM users. There is a transition from tiered rates to TOU rates dictated by the CEC. PG&E started that a year ago and now SCE is starting that. Are you in SCE? I believe you can choose to stay on tiered rates if that is the issue?
Long term it is my opinion that self consumption by installing batteries is a good strategy to reduce the impact of this erosion of benefits. I have been on TOU rates for ten years.

We recently received the "Letter" from SCE regarding the switch to TOU is how its going to be AUTOMATIC if the customer does not take positive action to go online or send back the form to request staying on standard rates. Interestingly, the form to send back didn't seem to have an address listed. What happened to NEM1.0 customers being grandfathered? This is just as underhanded and sneaky as it gets. When our Solar City (Tesla) lease ends, we will be reconfiguring our system for self consumption, SCE can take a hike. They can figure out how to meet the massively increased electrical demand when all the new electric cars get plugged in after internal combustion engines are outlawed. That is of course if we still live in CA which is doubtful at this point.

What happened to NEM1.0 customers being grandfathered?
As I said above, NEM and rates are two different issues. Grandfathering in NEM does not guarantee a rate or even a type of rate. You do have the option of staying on your tiered plan. Your NEM grandfathering only means you are not subject to NBCs of NEM 2.O.

However it might be useful to look at your consumption patterns because for some people who can shift loads, a TOU plan can be optimal.

Last edited:
Funny reply, Bently. I share your sentiment on Ca! (BTW, best to call your utility to make the tiered thing work if you're NEM 1.0).

Ampster...Yes, I know the difference between NEM and rates. Very, very well. Yes, with one of the IOUs. This post was for primarily early NEM 2.0 folks as I think the new TOU peak rates popped in in 2018 if I'm not mistaken. My problem as stated is a > 500% increase in my yearly electric bill!!!

NEM 1.0 folks can go back to tiered if they'd changed to TOU as far as I know...and keep that grandfathering. Maybe 5 of the 20 year grandfathering will get shaved with the still unsettled ST (successor tariff, as my understanding is that will be what it's called vs. NEM 3.0). NEM 2.0 folks don't have that luxury as I most certainly would have done that if I could have.

The crap-storm with them fiddling around with rates and peak times is that you're boxed in. They get to stick it to you w/out recourse. Yes, with my 4 years I've recouped 3/4 of the cash money I put into my system but was looking for 15 additional years of essentially free electricity. Between the rates, peak timing, and "social justice" issues the CPUT/IOUs can make it not worth the effort for new installs. If I did my calc correctly someone jumping on NEM 2.0 right now will have at least 10 if not 15 year recoup if no battery storage involved. With the current cost of (approved) batteries I don't think recoup much if any quicker (though I haven't penciled out those numbers). I did find humorous one poster on one of the other threads at this site (a "NEM 3.0" one) I read that all it would take is for everyone to hit their disconnect switches at the same moment on a hot day to get a revisit of this crap-show (...note I am not advocating for this should the guberment be tuning in now!)

I could add battery storage, and might still, but as a wise older co-worker once quipped "I'm going broke saving money!". As it is I've switched to pour over coffee to save about 1.2 kWh per day! No hardship as long as I wake up earlier than my wife!

My problem as stated is a > 500% increase in my yearly electric bill!!!
Me too. I have been on TOU rates for ten years. The benefits and rate periods were so good I used one or two megaWatthours more energy than my solar produced and I still had a dollar credit. Those days are long gone as the time periods shifted. Now most of my generation is credited at off peak rates.

Last edited:
Me too. I have been on TOU rates for ten years. The benefits and rate periods were so good I used one or two megaWatthours more energy than my solar produced and I still had a dollar credit. Those days are long gone as the time periods shifted. Now most of my generation is credited at off peak rates.
That makes you NEM 1.0. When (month/year) did you get forced over to late afternoon peak rates? Did you look to see if going back to tiered made more sense? Seems like you have a ton of production/storage unless you put a lot of miles on your EVs. I recently read ~3.5 kWh/10 miles. That sure would bust my bank on the generation front though neither of our (non-EV) cars have been driven much in the last couple of years.

I looked up your locale and seems your summer high temps are similar to mine but nighttime about 10 degrees cooler. For many years (way before solar) in the summer months I've gone through a daily routine watching/comparing indoor/outdoor temps, opening and closing windows when appropriate, turning on and off effectively a whole house fan (box fan in upstairs window) at night. Sure wish I had that 10 degree cooler situation that you have. Would cut my AC usage substantially! If it weren't for keeping the peace around here with AC usage, I wouldn't be grumbling here about the TOU peak hour change...

That makes you NEM 1.0. When (month/year) did you get forced over to late afternoon peak rates? Did you look to see if going back to tiered made more sense?
That was 2011 and it is now a rental. I was on an EV TOU rate then. When I moved and rented it out I aggregated it with some other meters in the same building so I don't know if I can go to tiered.

Seems like you have a ton of production/storage unless you put a lot of miles on your EVs. I recently read ~3.5 kWh/10 miles. That sure would bust my bank on the generation front though neither of our (non-EV) cars have been driven much in the last couple of years.
I have the storage to try to self consume as much of my solar as I can since the erosion of rates and time periods has reduced the ability to store much energy at high rates. Half of my EV charging is now done from daytime solar and the rest done overnight at off peak rates. We still drive a lot but on long trips use DC fast charging along the way.
I looked up your locale and seems your summer high temps are similar to mine but nighttime about 10 degrees cooler. For many years (way before solar) in the summer months I've gone through a daily routine watching/comparing indoor/outdoor temps, opening and closing windows when appropriate, turning on and off effectively a whole house fan (box fan in upstairs window) at night. Sure wish I had that 10 degree cooler situation that you have. Would cut my AC usage substantially! If it weren't for keeping the peace around here with AC usage, I wouldn't be grumbling here about the TOU peak hour change...
We moved into that house seven months ago and the cool nights meant we did not need A/C, which was good since we did not have any. Our gas furnace was getting very old so I just added heat pumps in some rooms which has been economical heat and may provide welcome A/C on the few weeks that the temperatures do not drop at night. The heat pump has no surge and I should be able to run it off batteries during the summer at least during peak hours.

Back