diy solar

diy solar

New Chins 100ah Lifepo4 battery teardown

I bought and received 2 of the chins 300 amp, low temp batteries and putting them on the charger today. I don't have my build setup to fully test yet and waiting on my new meter. The BT App is not available for Apple or was taken down. Anyone else using the app? I contacted chins and this what they said..."The low temperature heating smart 12v 300ah lifepo4 battery we are selling now is prismatic."

Looking at your pictures above, it looks like you were able to remove the top off of at least one white Zooms battery case without cutting it (like we've all seen Will do many times). Are you typically able to remove the top by prying if you aren't going for dramatic YouTube teardown effects? I have a couple Zooms 50Ah batteries I'm considering breaking open to try to rebuild into a "solar generator" style build in a harbor freight Apache brand box. Any tips on how to open these in a save and not destructive way, would be greatly appreciated. :)

See here for something very similar regarding prying open :

See here for something very similar regarding prying open

You'll still have to break it a little to get it open. If you're careful, you can hammer the putty knife along with minimal damage but I haven't been able to do it well enough yet such that it goes back together cleanly.

I don't have the patience to try prying the perimeter. I get one for two returns on the battery boxes... I cut one below the seam and one just above it and pull the remainder out after the boxes are empty. I will get one good box that can be reassembled after cleaning off the silicone. The freezer trick may help, but i have not tried it.

I just tried cutting off the top of a Zooms 50Ah box to fit two batteries into a Apache 3800 case. Hand saw made quick work of it. If I could find a flat top to put onto the bottom of the box, that doesn’t stick up an extra inch like the original, that would be amazing. Anyone know of one? :)

Attachments

• 5C6DF61D-7BF8-4B7B-8D07-4CD09C995F72.jpeg
    5C6DF61D-7BF8-4B7B-8D07-4CD09C995F72.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 40
I don't have the patience to try prying the perimeter. I get one for two returns on the battery boxes... I cut one below the seam and one just above it and pull the remainder out after the boxes are empty. I will get one good box that can be reassembled after cleaning off the silicone. The freezer trick may help, but i have not tried it.
Do you cut up a lot of these cases? For reviews and stuff or buying cheap batteries for the cells?

I bought and received 2 of the chins 300 amp, low temp batteries and putting them on the charger today. I don't have my build setup to fully test yet and waiting on my new meter. The BT App is not available for Apple or was taken down. Anyone else using the app? I contacted chins and this what they said..."The low temperature heating smart 12v 300ah lifepo4 battery we are selling now is prismatic."
I'm using the app for the low temp cutoff, heating, 12v 100ah CHINS battery with no problem.

I wonder how the Shenzhen lock down is going to affect production? I have no idea how many LFP manufactures are in Shenzhen.
In fact, most battery cells manufacturer NOT in shenzhen, but yes, a lot battery pack manufacturer in Shenzhne.

I have a mix of 2 sku's and wonder if that's what's giving me problems with them going out of balance in a series connection??
SKU: 12100-211227 23.4 lbs.
SKU: 12100-210117 25.2 lbs.

I've balanced these two out twice and within a day, the Chins all in one system 3000w gets its fans in a bunch and I notice the difference in voltages between the two.

The batteries have swapped being the one that gets drained. The BMS limits the voltage to 9.38v and toggles up to 13.1 and back when a load/charge is applied.

I'm guessing the right answer is to try and get the pouch one exchanged for a prismatic??

On another note, is there a battery balancer made for lithium to keep them in check? Sort of a 2S BMS on top of the embedded BMS?? Like the PowMr stuff?

ps: my first post! Thanks for all the participation you all have provided....much appreciated.tempImage2lVpJT.jpgtempImage2lVpJT.jpg

I received my Chins 100ah battery on 02/25 with the below code.
View attachment 87645

It seems to have been made slightly before Will_Culp's battery. Because of this post, I also contacted Chins through Amazon and the response I got is below.

Dear Customer,
thank you for your mail.
SKU: CHINS-12100-211101-506 is a prismatic cell, please rest assured.
best regards.

I charged the battery up after receiving and put in right into my system (I have a Victron BMV) and let it run. I manually shut off my inverter after it gave me 102ah, so the capacity is there.

Without opening it I don't know what it really is but have to believe its prismatic based on their response and it seems to produce so I will be keeping it.

A concern I do have is if I want to series together a few of these for 24V or 48V and happen to have one battery being a pouch and another being a prismatic cell?????

I have two Zooms 200ah plus batteries and they were purchased a couple of weeks apart. The SNs are not close and one has a "P" in the sn#. I emailed Zooms the SN#s and asked if they were both prismatic. I did find these pictures on the Amazon website. They absolutely are advertising prismatic cells in these pictures.

Attachments

• 824A8182-6A70-4360-BA6C-0D2897839314.png
    824A8182-6A70-4360-BA6C-0D2897839314.png
    414 KB · Views: 15
  • 6FC5C131-DCED-41B1-BAFB-BB896C3F9D66.png
    6FC5C131-DCED-41B1-BAFB-BB896C3F9D66.png
    323.6 KB · Views: 14
Zooms replied back with in a few hours! Here is their reply.

"Hello Frank

Thanks for your message.
This is Jack from Zooms Customer dept. I will be glad if I can help you.

For our LiFePO4 battery, we have been using only prismatic cells from the beginning of the business.
We have never used pouch cells for our lithium battery. And it will stay that way forever.

We are determined to provide only the best quality product within the most comfortable price range and will never do such a thing using cheap cells.
Could you verify the source of that info for us? Such a rumor like that will be devastating for our business.

Look forward to your reply.
Best regards"

My response

"
Thank you for the fast and reassuring reply. There is a common belief that Zooms, Ampertime and Chins batteries are made by the same manufacturer due to the identical case design and build quality. Recently someone disassembled a 100ah Chins battery and discovered pouch cells in that battery. Chins was prompt to respond and explained that their 100ah batteries will be built with pouch cells until prismatic cells become more available somewhere around June. I'll be sure to let the internet community know that Zooms only uses prismatic cells at this point in time.

Frank. "

Zooms replied back with in a few hours! Here is their reply.

"Hello Frank

Thanks for your message.
This is Jack from Zooms Customer dept. I will be glad if I can help you.

For our LiFePO4 battery, we have been using only prismatic cells from the beginning of the business.
We have never used pouch cells for our lithium battery. And it will stay that way forever.

We are determined to provide only the best quality product within the most comfortable price range and will never do such a thing using cheap cells.
Could you verify the source of that info for us? Such a rumor like that will be devastating for our business.

Look forward to your reply.
Best regards"

My response

"
Thank you for the fast and reassuring reply. There is a common belief that Zooms, Ampertime and Chins batteries are made by the same manufacturer due to the identical case design and build quality. Recently someone disassembled a 100ah Chins battery and discovered pouch cells in that battery. Chins was prompt to respond and explained that their 100ah batteries will be built with pouch cells until prismatic cells become more available somewhere around June. I'll be sure to let the internet community know that Zooms only uses prismatic cells at this point in time.

Frank. "
Yes that is Zooms. Not Chins. Chins is the pouch cell battery that the original poster opened. Can you email chins instead?

Yes that is Zooms. Not Chins. Chins is the pouch cell battery that the original poster opened. Can you email chins instead?
I was only inquiring to Zoom if they were going to use or have used pouch cells in their batteries since I have two 200ah zooms batteries already. I was curious if I had two different types of cells in my bank. The author of this thread has already contacted Chins.

Wait - I'm confused. Unless I'm mistaken *every* prismatic cell inside contains parallel pouches inside the plastic or aluminum cell caseing. I could be wrong.

Maybe people are confusing the entire case surrounding 4 internal prismatics inside. Which has pouches inside those. :)

Last time I cut open the actual cell (SAFELY) was long ago on Winston and Thundersky prismatics. Has this method of manufacturing changed with the introduction of the aluminum cases?

@RCinFLA - his photo earlier in this very thread shows it very well.

I was asleep at the wheel for a few years, so thanks for the education with the pic and description of how the pouches are basically open at the top, and the aluminum case is the entire seal, rather than individual sealed parallel pouches.

I was totally wrong. Thanks for the education.

Wait - I'm confused. Unless I'm mistaken *every* prismatic cell inside contains parallel pouches inside the plastic or aluminum cell caseing. I could be wrong.

Maybe people are confusing the entire case surrounding 4 internal prismatics inside. Which has pouches inside those. :)

Last time I cut open the actual cell (SAFELY) was long ago on Winston and Thundersky prismatics. Has this method of manufacturing changed with the introduction of the aluminum cases?
Yeah that was the configuration in some older cells. New prismatics do not contain pouch cells inside. And the walls are much thinner.

Yeah that was the configuration in some older cells. New prismatics do not contain pouch cells inside. And the walls are much thinner.

Are you referring to the Al-cased prismatic cells? They used to contain multiple individual pouch cells inside? That's news to me...

Back