diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 6500 EX install

mikeyoungvcu89

Today was the day I finally swapped out the new EG4 for my POWMR which was driving me crazy. I am really impressed with how much more robust the EG 4 seems. I ran through a full set of tests, didn't have allot of sun today but enough to charge. This is a completely off-grid install at a cabin where the primary purpose is to power a Pond Aerator on a daily basis the POWMR did ok with this over the summer but really struggled once there was less sunlight. I realized I was going to need a backup generator with an auto-start. The one issue I found is that when my generator is running there is no power on the 20a GFCI that powers the Aerator. All the cabin lights and receptacles are fine. It does not trip the GFCI.. It just doesn't produce current nor does the Outlet also connected to the circuit. I have not disconnected the neutral/ground bond in the generator and that's the only thing I can figure is causing this. I still need to install the auto-start module and was intending to do that at the same time.
The only other change I made was I separated the neutrals and grounds in the load center and with the inverter disconnected that there was no continuity with the inverter not connected. Everything works fine if the generator is not running.
Also.. if anyone knows where you find the Wi-Fi module pin.. I wasn't able to figure that out.

Back