diy solar

diy solar

New grid interactive inverter thread- GROWATT vs MIDNITE vs EG4

Funny... called CC a couple hours ago, really nice when someone picks right up.... the MN15 has the main output, and then 3x2 120/240 circuits, so could mix/match up to 6x 120v or 3x 240v.... I think the 120v are controlled in pairs for load shedding?

Funny... called CC a couple hours ago, really nice when someone picks right up.... the MN15 has the main output, and then 3x2 120/240 circuits, so could mix/match up to 6x 120v or 3x 240v.... I think the 120v are controlled in pairs for load shedding?
1718938811153.png

Worth a thousand words.

The smart load breakers are two pole breakers. There are four single pole (3x15A and one 20A) breakers connected to the main output for additional small loads, such as a convenience receptacle, for example.

Note: wiring looks messy because this inverter was torn down to nothing and I didn't re-wire-manage it upon assembly.

$1200 of circuit breakers??? 😲

Do you mind sharing your cost breakdown?
Sure. That figure was from memory from about 8 or so months ago, when I was considering the Watts/Amensolar inverter, which also does not have breakers in its wiring box.

You will need:
2 - DC 250A 1-pole battery breakers (or a dual pole one) at about $300 (for Midnites)
3 or 4 (one dual pole DC breaker per MPPT input at your max V) at about $200 (again for Midnites, ~$50 ea)
1 - 125A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for grid in at about $80 ( varies by brand)
1 - 100A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for grid out to load at about $80 ( varies by brand)
1 - 60A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for generator in at about $50 ( varies by brand)
And depending upon what other in/outputs your inverter has, various other single and dual pole breakers
so somewhere between $20 to $50 each.

So I have $600-700 worth of breakers, and to that you'd need to add the cost of the electrical boxes they go in, fittings and conduit, wire, etc. Maybe doubling the breaker costs was a bit high, but I bet it comes close to $1k total, plus the hassle of all that extra wiring.

Now your specific installation may not need all of these. You may already have them from your old system. Or some of the output load breakers may be handled via a main breaker in the panels (though that incurs some extra cost too). Or you may be willing/able to use cheap non-UL Chinese parts which will save quite a bit.

Anyway that is how I came up with my numbers. Let me know if you think this is way off.

<single leg surge performance>

That's an oddly specific spec lol

Not odd at all: "How large a 120V motor can it start?"

but I looked at growatt spec sheet and couldn't find it

I don't see it in the mnaio spec sheet either

I wasn't able to find that spec for the midnite. Do you mind linking where it's published?

www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/MN15-12KW-AIO_frontBack.pdf

"Peak Output Apparent Power (1s) 20,000 VA (13,000 VA per leg"

What do these numbers mean?
1718943833657.png
20kva requires grid+pv+battery?

Manual shows 15kva max no grid

Last edited:
Question for anyone who knows.

The smart load outputs on these inverters- are they independent when two or more inverters are paralleled?

So can the smart load outputs on inverter 2 be programmed separately from inverter 1?

After comparing the Midnite MN15-12KW-AIO with multiple other inverters (including those on the OP list), A close friend of mine has ordered the Midnite for the following reasons. Surge capacity capability, able to control three smart loads, Midnite design and engineering expertise and experience you can trust. The solid customer service that Midnite has maintained.
The Midnite inverter ETA for delivery is 4 weeks out.

I think it would be good to keep a comment at the top that is continuously updated with a summary

I don’t think folks have mentioned how MN says they will send you parts/FRUs for you to repair or do warranty so you don’t have to mail the whole thing back? That is pretty unique for this class of device (maybe SolArk does it too but EG4 doesn’t and I don’t know about Growatt).

I think it would be good to keep a comment at the top that is continuously updated with a summary

I don’t think folks have mentioned how MN says they will send you parts/FRUs for you to repair or do warranty so you don’t have to mail the whole thing back? That is pretty unique for this class of device (maybe SolArk does it too but EG4 doesn’t and I don’t know about Growatt).
I'm guessing Dexter will have the parts in stock and can FedEx them rapidly if troubleshooting finds it necessary.

I'm guessing Dexter will have the parts in stock and can FedEx them rapidly if troubleshooting finds it necessary.
That’s something I might ask him directly in the other thread. Or someone else can do it.

Since he is only one state over from me that is a fine location for a parts depot

Damn 63A on a single leg. No need to pay extra special attention to balancing the legs with this one.
It's about the same as the EG4 18kPV, however, the 18kPV can do it for 5 mins vs the 1 min on the Midnite. The key difference to note being, the 18kPV is a 12kW inverter (from battery) and the Midnite is 10kW (from battery). But if you add PV, the MN can do 11.4kW (total) vs the 18kPV still would only be 12kW total.

Much similar to Sol-Ark 15k giving you a boost with PV available.

Sure. That figure was from memory from about 8 or so months ago, when I was considering the Watts/Amensolar inverter, which also does not have breakers in its wiring box.

You will need:
2 - DC 250A 1-pole battery breakers (or a dual pole one) at about $300 (for Midnites)
3 or 4 (one dual pole DC breaker per MPPT input at your max V) at about $200 (again for Midnites, ~$50 ea)
1 - 125A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for grid in at about $80 ( varies by brand)
1 - 100A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for grid out to load at about $80 ( varies by brand)
1 - 60A (+/-) dual pole AC breaker for generator in at about $50 ( varies by brand)
And depending upon what other in/outputs your inverter has, various other single and dual pole breakers

So I have $600-700 worth of breakers, and to that you'd need to add the cost of the electrical boxes they go in, fittings and conduit, wire, etc. Maybe doubling the breaker costs was a bit high, but I bet it comes close to $1k total, plus the hassle of all that extra wiring.

Now your specific installation may not need all of these. You may already have them from your old system. Or some of the output load breakers may be handled via a main breaker in the panels (though that incurs some extra cost too). Or you may be willing/able to use cheap non-UL Chinese parts which will save quite a bit.

Anyway that is how I came up with my numbers. Let me know if you think this is way off.
Does this account for them being configurable for In/Out and load shedding based on SOC (and maybe other variables)?

Comparison pdf based on currently available info. will update as time goes on and we get more info on 12k pv

Attachments

• HYBRID JUNE 2024 - Sheet1.pdf
    55.6 KB · Views: 16
found the information for the eg4 12k. updated, and simplified the data. The mppt input and short circuit current on the eg4 is impressive!

Attachments

• HYBRIDS.JPG
    HYBRIDS.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 13
Does this account for them being configurable for In/Out and load shedding based on SOC (and maybe other variables)?
Not entirely. I only added in the cost of the CB's that would be absolutely needed (AC in, AC Load Out, Gen In, Batt, etc).

My original line:
was intended to cover other breakers, somewhat. Obviously The One has quite a few simple load breakers (the four 120v ones) and the controllable 240v ones (which also double as Gen input and AC Coupling), which were not fully included in my total. Not entirely sure how to count those in; not everyone will be using them, and the programmable ones would cost a lot more to duplicate their function than the cost of a simple breaker (as Robin has said, a couple thousand maybe for a smart load box).

I think my figure is more of a minimum floor cost. If you are planning on using or need/want the controllable 240v load breakers then the cost to duplicate that goes up, possibly quite a bit. The price you'd pay to duplicate The One's HW and features on another inverter will vary, depending on what you want to use.

HTH

diy solar

diy solar
Back