diy solar

diy solar

New install...in trouble..need help

cat

033E2E4C-401C-45CD-8CC0-8B7643763ED9.jpeg21695741-48FC-4D01-8CF1-4F8493A94419.jpegHello! This morning, the battery is blinking red...this is a picture of the inverter monitor,,,the inverter is on the main...the goal of the system is to back up a well pump in case of electricity outage ...(no Solar) also, when I tried to run the pump only on the battery, the current was not going outnsteady at 240 from the inverter, and I got a message error from the pump. Need help to figure out what to do? Thanks

What is the model number of the inverter?

What is the model number of the battery?

Your title implies new install. How new? Has it ever run the pump on battery power?

Pumps with standard induction motors have high surge currents and are sometimes difficult to start with an inverter. There are 3 solutions.
1) Variable speed pump with built in VFD which ramps up to speed.
2) Soft Starter module if the pump motor is compatible with such a device and the wiring is accessible, not down in the well.
3) Use an oversized, Low Frequency inverter with a BIG transformer.

What is the model number of the inverter?

What is the model number of the battery?

Your title implies new install. How new? Has it ever run the pump on battery power?

https://ca.renogy.com/48v-50ah-smart-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery/

As per the spec for the battery:

Maximum Charge/Discharge Current: 50A
Charge Voltage:54V

The closest two battery type positions on the inverter are
1 and 9
For 1
CV 56V, Float 54.8V
CV 50.25V, No Float

If I choose battery type 1, the battery could be overcharged.
but, if I choose battery type 9, the battery could be under charged.

the inverter works well to run the pump (from either main power or from the battery). but, it was overcharging the battery (this was the reason for the issues). When the inverter is setup to noncharge all is perfect!

so..not sure what todo? Buy a separate charger or add another battery?
thanks

When you say the battery could be overcharged, is that because of too high of charging current or too high of float voltage?

You might try the AGM setting, it has a lower float voltage.

In a backup plan as you have, it would seem that float voltage is the main issue. When you power up, it will run through the boost then sit there in float waiting for an outage. I would limit the testing of the system because each time you test it, it will run the boost again.

Reactions: cat
When you say the battery could be overcharged, is that because of too high of charging current or too high of float voltage?

In a backup plan as you have, it would seem that float voltage is the main issue. When you power up, it will run through the boost then sit there in float waiting for an outage. I would limit the testing of the system because each time you test it, it will run the boost again.
Thanks

Hello! The battery setting was at 3 and still in boosting mode when the issue happened (red flashing of battery led). ii will try the setting at 2 (agm) on the inverter as you suggested. The charging boost os slighly over the 55.5, but floating is perfect.

when the setting of the inverter was at 3, the boost was about 3% lower than the indication in the manual. so, i am expecting the same at 2 and then the boost charging will be under the 55.5 bms limit. (Fingers cross).

thanks

note: when I said could be overcharged I ment too high of voltage for boosting mode (over bms limit setting of the battery).

Last edited:
Pumps with standard induction motors have high surge currents and are sometimes difficult to start with an inverter. There are 3 solutions.
1) Variable speed pump with built in VFD which ramps up to speed.
2) Soft Starter module if the pump motor is compatible with such a device and the wiring is accessible, not down in the well.
3) Use an oversized, Low Frequency inverter with a BIG transformer.
hello! The inverter is doing well with the surge...it is a 6000 watt with 300% surge capacity. The issue is with the charging mode setup of the inverter.

Hello! i faced another issue whith the new system...the inverter was set at 9...cv 50.25, no float...the battery was getting slowly charged no issue...however, this time, it was the inverter that went in overload. The only item on the system was the well pump...is it possible that it was to much for the inverter to charge while supporting the pump?

any solution to that situation? Thanks again
pump is 1,5 hp, 10gpm

Attachments

• IMG_1639.png
    IMG_1639.png
    322.6 KB · Views: 2

diy solar

diy solar
Back