diy solar

diy solar

New LiFePO4 "mini" small form factor batteries with pack cell block cell units - WWWS (what will Will say)

1holaguy

I recent months Chinese brands like LiTime and other similar ones (may be all made by the same manufacturer) have introduces "mini" small form factor plug and play 12V 100 Ah batteries. These are generally about 20% more expensive than traditional P&P units of the same capacity but are about 1/3rd lighter and small in size. While there are now quite a few USA based Youtube influencers that have given these products positive reviews with initial testing I have yet to see Will way in.

Not so much on particular brands but on the pack cell vs Calb style cell technology. While these may not be of concern so much for free standing systems I would think they are of particular interest to mobile applications, primarily because of size and weight. Do any here have experience with this new technology; especially with some longer use experience that would be an indicator of how they will perform long term?

BTW - I have noticed none of these appear to come with low temp charge cut off, which may be a pricing decision or due to other reasons. Most MPPT CC units now have low temp cut off so is having it also in the battery not necessary?

I recent months Chinese brands like LiTime and other similar ones (may be all made by the same manufacturer) have introduces "mini" small form factor plug and play 12V 100 Ah batteries. These are generally about 20% more expensive than traditional P&P units of the same capacity but are about 1/3rd lighter and small in size. While there are now quite a few USA based Youtube influencers that have given these products positive reviews with initial testing I have yet to see Will way in.

Not so much on particular brands but on the pack cell vs Calb style cell technology. While these may not be of concern so much for free standing systems I would think they are of particular interest to mobile applications, primarily because of size and weight. Do any here have experience with this new technology; especially with some longer use experience that would be an indicator of how they will perform long term?

BTW - I have noticed none of these appear to come with low temp charge cut off, which may be a pricing decision or due to other reasons. Most MPPT CC units now have low temp cut off so is having it also in the battery not necessary?
Can you link to a couple of examples of what you are referencing?

CS1234 thanks for posting these links. Yes, these are the battery types I am speaking off. At these prices they are competivtive with many wet cell deep cycle batteries.

The small / compact batteries all use pouch cells, which since they are protected by the case shouldn't be an issue, the metal case aka prismatic is redundant in these form factors. The cells are also lower cost to produce so its a potential win-win.

I broak down and ordered 2- TWV minis using the link above. At the price I could not pass it up so we will see if they are any good. Bought them on Amazon. Shipped within 24 hours from California. Free shipping for ground delivery. (1-2 weeks to me.)

I have one that has been through a couple of cycles. Seems nice. I do use it in the back of my car to run a fridge on certain occasions. There isn't enough data there to be useful, with a sample size of 1 and a couple of months of use.
I did watch random YT videos on teardowns and the Power Queen Mini, Redodo Mini, and PQ Mini are exactly the same construction.

However, are we allowed to link? Or I can just describe the sale.
I just purchased a second one. This one is a Power Queen off Ebay. There is a 20% off coupon right on the page that brings it down to $233 before tax w/ free shipping. New. You can save ~$10 more if you are willing to take a used / refurbished one. Not enough savings to me to have any risk.

However, are we allowed to link?

Yes links are allowed, as long as they’re not affiliate links where you or someone you know makes a commission. Will Prowse’s links are an exception in my opinion since he pays for this forum here.

I have one of the Redodo minis. Currently using as an additional battery via a Delta 2 max solar input at 15A. Going to order a 2nd so I can "charge" the d2m at 24V@15A. 2 inputs so should be good for about 720W input if needed

20230907_104341.jpg

I ordered one so we will see.
The one I bought is called DC House and was 250.00 tax included with a 30.00 off coupon. FedEx says it will be here Saturday. At 21.16 Lbs 10.24"D x 6.61"W x 8.23"H

After starting this post I broke down and bought a 2 pack of TWV- 100 AHr 12v for $524.27 all in, taxes and delivery, via Amazon. It shipped from California and should be delivered tomorrow or Saturday. I will post a follow once I receive them and get to test them. At this price range, I am willing to take a chance but if they are even close to the promised performance they state these could be a game changer for mobile applications.

Only problem I've had with any cheap brand batteries so far (various brands) is the onboard bluetooth went out on one of them. The battery BMS still works, but without the bluetooth part functioning, I trust it less. I wish it had some sort of reset button.. I'm sure it just needs a reboot.

It was one of the Himassi 12v 100ah batteries that were on Amazon a while back. I was sent a replacement by the battery manufacturer/reseller.. but now I have a 12vdc 100ah battery with no bluetooth functionality... it's an oddball out.

After starting this post I broke down and bought a 2 pack of TWV- 100 AHr 12v for $524.27 all in, taxes and delivery, via Amazon. It shipped from California and should be delivered tomorrow or Saturday. I will post a follow once I receive them and get to test them. At this price range, I am willing to take a chance but if they are even close to the promised performance they state these could be a game changer for mobile applications.
Looks like it would be cheaper to buy them as singles because the $60 coupon applies to the single and double pack. So single goes down to $224+tax?

Screenshot_20230909_071809_Gallery.jpg

Back