diy solar

diy solar

DIY mini split as a temporary (a few years) install?

I just got the midea dual hose portable. I plan to run it for a week as a stress test. It has an adapter for a traditionally hung window and a sliding window. I’ll cut a hole in the conex when I install it there.

Well, I don't think I'd need a flaring kit for initial install (I don't mind leaving the pipes long and coiling them) or de-install. Likely only for re-install (at which point I might be getting more mini splits for the new place anyways). Vacuum I could rent if needed for install, and decide later if I want to just buy one (feels like a good investment if you have 2 or more you can do your own maintenance)

Well, back to over thinking I guess lol
As @Rednecktek said, you'll need it on the initial install. The unit is precharged but the lines have air in them.

I just got the midea dual hose portable. I plan to run it for a week as a stress test. It has an adapter for a traditionally hung window and a sliding window. I’ll cut a hole in the conex when I install it there.
I have of those. Wasn't sure when you posted that if it was a mini split thing or something.

This is the one Im using in a bedroom.

No heat of course but it works amazingly well. Lower power consumption too.

The remote for it is pretty cool. Its the sensor for the temperature for the unit. So you place it where you want the temperature to be for the room if that makes sense.

I find it makes a room more comfortable by keep the temp perfect for a desired area.

Now for the drawbacks. If your having high humidity weather or it has to run a bunch it fills up with water and has to be drained. If humidity is low I have made it a full year without having to drain it.

Overall I'd buy another if I had a need for an extra one. Good unit.

What is so hard about installing a minisplit properly so you can sell it with the house? Drill the holes, install it nicely, be done.

How do you know you will need a minisplit when you move, anyway?

One thing to remember is that heat pumps are good down to 32F. Below that, they don't work unless they have a built-in electric heater.
Some "hyper-heat" mini-splits are spec'd to heat at 50% of rated capacity down to -22f. We installed an 18k unit with a -13f rating that did a great job of heating our workshop with ambient temps down to approx. 10f. It struggled when ambient temps got down to 0f, but it still managed to provide some heat.

What is so hard about installing a minisplit properly so you can sell it with the house? Drill the holes, install it nicely, be done.

How do you know you will need a minisplit when you move, anyway?
Potential HOA and permit issues. Making it look nice 100% means cutting the lines and dealing with that. The siding/walls is the area are a complication. Honestly it doesn't really matter what my reasoning is. If there's something unsafe about a temporary install I'm all ears. It seems like a floor unit isn't going to really be much cheaper (even factoring in tool rental/purchase). The available window isn't super wide so I might have trouble finding a window unit that is a heatpump that will fit.

If I happen to move to a place with absolutely perfect HVAC/minisplit worst case I keep the unit as a spare, or add it to the garage/workspace. Around here AC/minisplit are not common so thats not likely anyways.

If you can find a place locally that will rent the vacuum pump, guage set, and fittings then go for it. Around here the few places that have that stuff available want to see your EPA608-U or 609 card before they'll rent. If you feel up to it a 12k BTU 120v mini split can be a good investment.
Dumb question, could you make do with a vacuum and gauge meant for cars and just add fitting adaptors? Lots of auto places will rent them

Dumb question, could you make do with a vacuum and gauge meant for cars and just add fitting adaptors? Lots of auto places will rent them
I use the same vacuum pump for all my ac stuff from cars to house. They are super cheap to buy and are handy to have if there isnt a place renting them. I just change adapters depending on if Im using my 410a gauge set or the 134a stuff.

Absolutely. There are some high tech gauges for newer systems but plain old gauges will get it done.

A minisplit will likely only have a low side port available for evacuation and fill. The pressures for R410 are quite high, so it may be best to use the high side R134a gauge if you are using an automotive gauge set.

So the cost of dual-hose (single hose sucks for efficiency) units and the absolute trash level marketing for window units (calling units with electric heat "heat pump" is just....) has me thinking about my original "stupid plan A".

So the cost of dual-hose (single hose sucks for efficiency) units and the absolute trash level marketing for window units (calling units with electric heat "heat pump" is just....) has me thinking about my original "stupid plan A".
Costco has a $300 and a $500 dual hose portable unit...
8Kbtu and 10kbtu

You can pump down a mini split with it's own compressor to move them, the procedure was even described in the manual of my LG.

But 120v mini splits are available for $600 on Amazon now, then who cares if it doesn't make it anyway.

Back