diy solar

diy solar

New LiFePO4 "mini" small form factor batteries with pack cell block cell units - WWWS (what will Will say)

Can any more fit on top and still close the lid?
I did find that three minis will also fit in a packout milk crate, however the shorter height of the crate means the terminals stick slightly above the lip. So I don't think you can stack them (as 3.84kWh "bricks").20231003_134851.jpg20231003_134945.jpg

Using a Redodo mini to boost runtime of river 2 on my pellet grill, takes about 35W at 225F once fired up, should be good for over 30 hours or longer than any single cook (assuming 200Wh from river 2 and 1000Wh from Redodo)
20231007_132455.jpg

This "sale" did not exist at the time of my writing, but at the current time you might be correct. I believe the discount only applies to one battery so if you order to you still only get $60 off total.
As an update, and for some further information. I finally did receive the batteries, quicker than the Amazon estimated TOD but not without challenges. That said the problems were all FedEx related and nothing to do with the seller, which appear to be TWV directly. They ship out the batteries from a distribution center in California via Fedex Ground and are shipped requiring a signature upon delivery. This is totally understandable, especially with the growing number of porch bandits, especially in urban areas. It took about a week from the date of order for the first delivery attempt. Fedex claimed 3 additional attempts despite the fact that I was home all day, had left a not attached to the front door for the delivery driver with specific instructions to follow to receive a signature. Through this whole frustrating event TWV kept in daily contact with me via Amazon Customer Message and made several attempts to help me with receiving the delivery including offering to reship the order. I was under time constraints and so I ended up driving to the Fedex distribution center to get the batteries. It turns out the Fedex ground does not use employee drivers from ground deliveries but contracts out to third party companies so they do not have direct control. Lack of missed deliver tickets and my Ring door bell video record was proof that no delivery was attempted. That aside, TWV was also very responsive to post receipt questions as well. So far I am quite pleased with the post order and receipt customer service. I do wish there was a way to contact them without going through Amazon as that adds a bit of added baggage to the process.

The batteries arrived well boxed individually with support on all sides by fitted foam blocks. The M8 screw terminals are designed , like LiTime with with ss flat and split washes attached to the bolts , which is convenient. sadly the bolts are only about 1/2" or threaded post so if you are stacking thick cables (4/0) the bold will not be long enough. I picked up a few 1" long replacements aith additional washers at the local ACE without issue.

The batteries, which are in sealed plastic case are about 25% lighter than my SOKs, about a 1" taller, about the same length and and close to 1-1/2" narrower. These are estimates, you can check the pulbished specs if you need exact sizing. Not a significant difference in size and the )difference in weight is in part to the difference in case material (plastic vs metal for the SOKs). These batteries do not come with BT, however TWV advised they are working toward a version with that capability. Each battery does come with a built in monitor with LED to show SOC and voltage. The voltage reading matched those taken with a multimeter. Both batteries arrived at 51% SOC and matching voltage. They took charge readily but topped out at 13.5v do to the limitation of my charge. I do not have the ability to bench test for capacity. The built in monitors showed SOC at 82% however based on the published charts for LiPO4 batteries at this voltage the SOC should be closer to 95%.

So far I am pleased with the quality and customer service from TWV. Time will tell but at this point they appear to be a quality company with quality product and appear to be very similar if not identical to LiTime. Maybe eventually Will will do a taredown youtube and then I will be either elated or concerned about my purchase but for now I am quite happy with my decission.

As an aside, while installing these I noticed my SOKs, which are a year old, are showing some rusting of the outer case. These are not directy exposed to the elements but in a un-air conditioned space and so exposed to humidity in our gulf south location. I will be treating this with Rustoluem but is a concern for long term experience with these SOK metal cases in my environment. SO plastic cased batteries my not be DIY servicable but do offer other advantages.

"So the Redodo mini 4 pack is no longer on sale but power queen which seems to be identical manufacturer has a 4 pack for $939 and then a 10% coupon on top. Not a bad price for a 48V 100Ah equivalent battery."

And now that 4 pk of 100ah minis is down to $901 with the same 10% discount. Or $208 each for 100ah minis.
I wonder if they are as good as the regular size 100ah Power Queens?

I wonder if they are as good as the regular size 100ah Power Queens?
That's what I'm wondering.... The mini form factor will work better for my setup... But the idea of each battery having 4 series 4 parallel concerns me.. Seems like there is 4x the chance of a failure/issue than a 4s1p of the prismatic cells.. Meaning there are 16 pouches in the mini and 4 prismatic cells in the standard units... Honestly, seems like the mini's should cost less than the standard.. At least in my mind..

I am going to try a few in an RV setup where they will be in motion. And I will mount them laying on their sides. Will they survive?

I am going to try a few in an RV setup where they will be in motion. And I will mount them laying on their sides. Will they survive?
Motion and being on their side should not be a problem for pouch cells..

That's what I'm wondering.... The mini form factor will work better for my setup... But the idea of each battery having 4 series 4 parallel concerns me.. Seems like there is 4x the chance of a failure/issue than a 4s1p of the prismatic cells.. Meaning there are 16 pouches in the mini and 4 prismatic cells in the standard units... Honestly, seems like the mini's should cost less than the standard.. At least in my mind..
Would it also be true if one of the 4 poach cells in a series pack quit that the battery would continue to function but just at an unbalanced rate?

Would it also be true if one of the 4 poach cells in a series pack quit that the battery would continue to function but just at an unbalanced rate?
It would depend on HOW the cell failed. But even if it were a "open cell" the other cells would walk down due to never reaching a full state.

Back