diy solar

diy solar

New Multiplus - best options for programming it (Cerbo, PI or MK3-USB)

bedpan

Hey folks...
Thought on programming a Multiplus? I have it but no means to program it other than learning the dip switches. I am not sure if the dip's give you programmability over all the functionality. I believe you have to have another device for all aspects of programming.
Ideally I would just buy a bluetooth dongle but it appears the VE.Bus Smart Dongle ($126) only gives access to a few options from what I have seen. So then I would need the MK3-USB ($98) to set everything up. I would still need a bluetooth dongle for quick changes ie 30A shore power to 15A shore power.

The Cerbos are expensive ( Cerbo-S GX) at $330+tx Canadian. This would do everything I need. If I understand the S model just removes the tank level receivers. I am leaning towards using the Mopeka which I think still work with the S model.

I do have some RaspberryPi 4's kicking around. So I just need a MK3-USB ($98). Plus any other hardware add ons down the road ie VE.Direct Cable ($40).

So thoughts on the best approach? I think in the end as I type this out it really is just setup a PI or buy a Cerbo. As I have the pi to get started on the Multiplus I would just need the Smart Dongle at $98. If I plan on building it out though it may just be easier to buy the cerbo up front.

Here is a bit of the backstore if you're interested.
__

So my cargo trailer conversion soldiers on. I should have spray foam installed this week so I can start my actual construction inside soon. We had been using it unmodified and I had built portable power and plumbing systems. The big weak spot in the power system I had was the crappy 1000w inverter. It was noisy in the living space everytime it was loaded up. The fridge was enough to kick the fans into high gear and wake you up in the middle of the night

So I bought a (used) victron 2000 Multiplus. I got a great deal on it from a friend and it seemed like a natural fit.

So my major pieces I have are
Multiplus 12v 2000VA
Renogy 50A Dc2Dc
3*100Ah Renogy batteries (borrowed) - to be replaced at some point
Victron Lynx Power in
I have a few smaller renogy Charge controllers as well but the initial build will not have much solar. Maybe just a few smaller panels I keep inside the trailer and throw out when stationary for awhile

Planning on adding a SmartShunt right away and whatever I need to get the Multiplus running.

PXL_20230514_160815656.MP.jpg

Programming with the DIP switches is doable but not fun. you need patience.

Get a MK3-USB or a GX device. Since you already have a Pi, the Mk3 would be your cheapest option.

I started out with the MK3 and later added a Raspberry Pi with Venus OS.

Mk3-usb. Pretty straightforward and quick process.
As above, and a GX
Programming with the DIP switches is doable but not fun. you need patience.

Get a MK3-USB or a GX device. Since you already have a Pi, the Mk3 would be your cheapest option.

I started out with the MK3 and later added a Raspberry Pi with Venus OS.
Thanks guys..

I think I will order up MK3-USB. I figure I can use it to get started and try it out on the VenusOS on the PI.

Lots of learning to do!

Back