diy solar

diy solar

Cerbo/Venus/Rsp Pi dropping connection solution

pda1

I've been using a Rsp Pi with Venus to watch solar output on VRM. In the past, unpredictably, either the MPPT or BMV signals would be lost and I'd have to reboot the Cerbo/Rsp. The problem has been often attributed to cheap Amazon, non-Victron, USB direct cables.

I wrapped a piece of aluminum foil around the the USB "backshell" area of the connectors and so far, for over 2 weeks, not once have the signals dropped from the MPPT or BMV.

Maybe the simple "shielding" solves the problem?

Pics?

Aluminum foil solves a lot of problems...

View attachment 174335
No pictures. Too lazy. Just sloppily wrap some aluminum foil around the first couple of inches of the USB portion of the connector- that's where the fancy electronics are located or somethin' like that.

As to "Tin foil hatters".....I used to laugh at that notion. Now, with the wretched constant bombardment of RF my suspicions are "they are right!"

If it works for you, awesome. Just remember that a long length of tin foil near batteries and connectors can easily create its own problems if two surfaces that shouldn't touch each other, do. And FWIW, the extra money spent on Victron-supplied cables has been well worth the money to me. Zero problems.

Yes, that was understood. The foil pieces on the connectors are only about 2 inches long and are two horizontal feet away from the batteries. So long as I don't move the Rsp and USB cables around to relocate them all is well... so far.

You're probably right- I'll end up buying two more Victron cables in the future. Victron products, in my system have worked very well.

Back