diy solar

diy solar

Rasberry Pi 4 Model B Sucessfully running Victron’s Venus OS! *Updated with added temperature sensor.*

If you know your wifi settinga you could definitely set it up beforehand via phone hotspot. It's fairly easy to set it up via the remote console. Menu - Settings - Wi-Fi

If you know your wifi settinga you could definitely set it up beforehand via phone hotspot. It's fairly easy to set it up via the remote console. Menu - Settings - Wi-Fi

Like I feared it wouldn’t connect to my iPhones hot spot (or it connected but didn’t work), my work have some kind of extended security installed which results in my iPhone being hopeless to set up things with.

Is there any other way to connect to the Pi? You mentioned the zzz password, can you access the root of the pi and login that way?

Could I just hook up the Pi to my laptop with an Ethernet cable?

The most easy way to connect with ethernet is by pluging the PI directly into a router.
This way it will be assigned a proper ip address. You can then view the PI and setup WIFI by
typing the correct Ip address your router assigned to it inside of a webrowser.

Last edited:
The most easy way to connect with ethernet is by pluging the PI directly into a router.
This way it wiil be assigned a proper ip address. You can then view the PI and setup WIFI by
typing the correct Ip address your router assigned to it inside of a webrowser.

Thanks, don’t have a router yet here at the cabin but got it to work by sharing internet from my laptop via an Ethernet cable. I have ordered a 4g router, which should help to make things more stable. Using the phone as a hot spot only works sporadically.

I’ve also ordered another Rasberry and I got a spare ESP32 with me which I am going to use to set up Home Assistant and remotely access the JK BMS with BLE with this project:

It should be really simple, I am using ESP32s for a lot of projects at the house and even if I am not a computer wiz it works like a charm.

I haven’t checked yet, but I assume that Victron’s VRM also is accessible via Home Assistant. Would be great to get all data into Grafana to monitor it remotely. :)

Thanks, don’t have a router yet here at the cabin but got it to work by sharing internet from my laptop via an Ethernet cable. I have ordered a 4g router, which should help to make things more stable. Using the phone as a hot spot only works sporadically.

I’ve also ordered another Rasberry and I got a spare ESP32 with me which I am going to use to set up Home Assistant and remotely access the JK BMS with BLE with this project:

It should be really simple, I am using ESP32s for a lot of projects at the house and even if I am not a computer wiz it works like a charm.

I haven’t checked yet, but I assume that Victron’s VRM also is accessible via Home Assistant. Would be great to get all data into Grafana to monitor it remotely. :)
Makes sense glad you got things working.

The image file has already been pre-modified. Basically, it's just a stock image altered and rearranged to work correctly with a Raspberry Pi 4 B. If that's what you have then all you would need to do is flash it to a micro-SD card and plug it into the raspberry pi. After waiting for a few minutes for it to boot. You could then use the Victron app to set everything up. Here's a copy in case you want to play with it. Link to modified image file I used BalenaEtcher software to copy the image file. The file is zipped so you'd have to unzipp it first to extract the image.
Dear Sky Noris,

Many thanks for sharing this!

Is there a project that this image comes from? I am aware that there is a Venus project that supports other Raspberry Pi variants, but this is the only one I have found that does my Pi 4.
It would be great to see this merged into the current project to support all Pi's so it may receive future updates.
As I understand it, you cannot update this image because it will overwrite the settings that have been changed to get this to work on the Pi 4 variant that is not currently supported?

Thanks again

Dear Sky Noris,

Is there a project that this image comes from? I am aware that there is a Venus project that supports other Raspberry Pi variants, but this is the only one I have found that does my Pi 4.
It would be great to see this merged into the current project to support all Pi's so it may receive future updates.
As I understand it, you cannot update this image because it will overwrite the settings that have been changed to get this to work on the Pi 4 variant that is not currently supported?

Thanks again

Yeah it’s amazing!!

Dear Sky Noris,

Thanks again
You're most welcome I mainly went down this route to produce a temperary system, while I was waiting for my Cerbo to be replaced under waranty.So the image was based off of what was currently being used at the time. I'm not aware of any project currently that focuses on compatiblity of the newer PI's. Hopfully at some point everything is compatible. That would make things much more simple. You'd definatly not want to ever do an upgrade with this image because then you'd lose all the compatibility edits. However I did use this edit for a good stint of time and found it to be very stable and reliable. I really only went back to my Cerbo because it had more inputs.

Last edited:
The image file has already been pre-modified. Basically, it's just a stock image altered and rearranged to work correctly with a Raspberry Pi 4 B. If that's what you have then all you would need to do is flash it to a micro-SD card and plug it into the raspberry pi. After waiting for a few minutes for it to boot. You could then use the Victron app to set everything up. Here's a copy in case you want to play with it. Link to modified image file I used BalenaEtcher software to copy the image file. The file is zipped so you'd have to unzipp it first to extract the image.
Thank you Sky Noris for sharing your modified image! Was looking for that for my RPI 4B as the official Venus.OS (currently v2.89) won't support RPI 4B hardware).
In the meantime I stumbled over the Venus beta program. Most recent version is 2.90~24. And surprise: this candidate version supports the RPI 4B hardware. I sucessfully installed it according official installation instructions.
See link to announcement and the link to the repo.
Yes I understood you just wanted an interim playground while waiting for your warranty exchange, but maybe others could find this information useful.

Back