diy solar

diy solar

New solar setup

Then you can swap the water heater 1440Wh for around 10Wh.
On propane mine pulls 0.8a but only while the propane is heating. Takes about an hour if the water is room temp.

Fridge around 1a so your 250Wh is pretty close.

I use a little 500w electric heater at night in my small front bedroom. Instead of letting the propane roar and heat the whole trailer.
I had to jump in here when I saw you mentioned propane.

I use an OD propane water heater with an inside 35 gallon preheat tank and it is roaring hot in seconds and pennies per use.

I also have a 12k BTU propane furnace to heat the cabin and it burns 99.8% efficient and I go through a gallon a day in winter for heat, cooking and OD water heater.

I can use solar for some heating and electric blankets are nice but we can get several days of low sunshine where you need reliable heating and propane or wood work well.

Then you can swap the water heater 1440Wh for around 10Wh.
On propane mine pulls 0.8a but only while the propane is heating. Takes about an hour if the water is room temp.

Fridge around 1a so your 250Wh is pretty close.

I use a little 500w electric heater at night in my small front bedroom. Instead of letting the propane roar and heat the whole trailer.
I'll update. Thank you for the advice.

For quick and easy work, will assume 20Vmp and 10A for all 9 panels

3S3P = 60V x 30A
Not good because the MC4 connectors are 30A max.

10 panels 5S2P = 100V x 20A (very good)

12 panels 6S2P = 120V x 20A (very good)

But with a 60A SCC
200W x 9 panels / 14V charging = 128A available from array to 12V battery (only harvesting 50%)

200W x 10 panels / 14V charging = 143A (very wasteful with 60A SCC)
I'm thinking I may only have room for 10 panels, but ill look at the layout tomorrow. I see how 10 is wasteful, but of all the layouts woukd that be your first choice?

I see how 10 is wasteful, but of all the layouts woukd that be your first choice?
5S2P is by far the best for 10 panels.

The voltage will naturally be high enough earlier in the morning and later in the day to meet your SCCs minimum voltage (usually battery voltage +5V). Overcast days you'll be more likely to have enough voltage together something too.

And laying flat on the roof, they're not going to produce anywhere max. So not as wasteful as i made out. Overpaneling like this is a good strategy.

You only need an MC4 Y connector pair to connect the 2 strings:

A solar cutoff switch or DC breaker (rated for volts and amps) is nearly a necessity. Throwing blankets over your array gets old when connecting/disconnecting. Working at night works too.

5S2P is by far the best for 10 panels.

The voltage will naturally be high enough earlier in the morning and later in the day to meet your SCCs minimum voltage (usually battery voltage +5V). Overcast days you'll be more likely to have enough voltage together something too.

And laying flat on the roof, they're not going to produce anywhere max. So not as wasteful as i made out. Overpaneling like this is a good strategy.

You only need an MC4 Y connector pair to connect the 2 strings:

A solar cutoff switch or DC breaker (rated for volts and amps) is nearly a necessity. Throwing blankets over your array gets old when connecting/disconnecting. Working at night works too.
Ok. Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it!

Back