diy solar

diy solar

New System Plan

Yankeroo

First timer here trying to get my feet wet. I'm looking to keep my initial budget under $2500 but build it in a way that allows me to expand my storage and panel capacity.

Ive read many times that you must have a plan so that's exactly what I have below and I'm looking for a couple things; tips on different products/brands that I can check into to save some money.
Thoughts on my system itself based on what my usage will be (I describe below).
Suggestions for aspects/items that might make sense to spend less now and upgrade later or spend more on now (ie. batteries I assume fall in the latter category)
And any random bits of advise you might be able to offer!

• 4 100W Rich Solar 12V panels ($330)
    • 2 series wired in parallel for 24V
  • 1 MPP LV2424 Hybrid Inverter ($620 w/ shipping)
    • 2400W 24V Inverter
    • 80a MPPT
  • 2 Dakota LeFePO4 100aH 12V batteries ($1718)
    • Wired in series for 24V
Couple things to note. I do not have steady grid access to plug the ac input into, will this be an issue for the MPP Hybrid Inverter?
My goal is to power my home brewery. The most energy intensive day will use a 1800Wh (will infrequently call upon all 1800Wh) induction burner for roughly 1.5 hours, plus a couple lights and a fan intermittently for ventilation. Otherwise I'm chilling kegs in my 1200Wh keezer for an hour or two(time can be shorter if need be).

Also has any in the US claimed the federal tax credit for their DIY system? Are you even able to claim it if its DIY?

As mentioned I have an initial budget of $2500 but in the months to come will definitely be looking to build on my system.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
4 100W Rich Solar 12V panels ($330)
What is the attraction to using a lot of little 100w panels?
Look on craigslist and find some big honkin' 250-350w panels for cheap. They're fairly easily found in the $.5 per watt range. And mounting and wiring a couple is easier than mounting and wiring a shload of them.

The most energy intensive day will use a 1800W
Is that watt hours usage or watts momentarily?

I am not familiar with your battery choice, maybe someone else can comment.

Otherwise things look reasonable and doable (cheaper and/or bigger with DIY batteries)

What is the attraction to using a lot of little 100w panels?

Is that watt hours usage or watts momentarily?
No particular attraction...I'll hunt down some craigslist options!

That is the max watt hours usage of the induction burner at full blast. I will be closer to the 1200W range

Come back with links if you have questions or having trouble making a choice.

Have you or anyone else here had experience with this company?
For a brand new panel, .50 cents a watt is a pretty good deal I think.

What is the difference between Open circuit voltage (VOC) & Max power voltage (VMP)?

What is the difference between Open circuit voltage (VOC) & Max power voltage (VMP)?
Do a search on this forum for SanTan, a couple people have been banging the drums for them, mostly because of low cost and fixed price bulk shipping if i recall correctly.

Voc is the "no load" voltage and should be used in sizing. Its the max voltage.
Vmp is the normal operating voltage under load.

First timer here trying to get my feet wet. I'm looking to keep my initial budget under $2500 but build it in a way that allows me to expand my storage and panel capacity.

Ive read many times that you must have a plan so that's exactly what I have below and I'm looking for a couple things; tips on different products/brands that I can check into to save some money.
Thoughts on my system itself based on what my usage will be (I describe below).
Suggestions for aspects/items that might make sense to spend less now and upgrade later or spend more on now (ie. batteries I assume fall in the latter category)
And any random bits of advise you might be able to offer!

• 4 100W Rich Solar 12V panels ($330)
    • 2 series wired in parallel for 24V
  • 1 MPP LV2424 Hybrid Inverter ($620 w/ shipping)
    • 2400W 24V Inverter
    • 80a MPPT
  • 2 Dakota LeFePO4 100aH 12V batteries ($1718)
    • Wired in series for 24V
Couple things to note. I do not have steady grid access to plug the ac input into, will this be an issue for the MPP Hybrid Inverter?
My goal is to power my home brewery. The most energy intensive day will use a 1800Wh (will infrequently call upon all 1800Wh) induction burner for roughly 1.5 hours, plus a couple lights and a fan intermittently for ventilation. Otherwise I'm chilling kegs in my 1200Wh keezer for an hour or two(time can be shorter if need be).

Also has any in the US claimed the federal tax credit for their DIY system? Are you even able to claim it if its DIY?

As mentioned I have an initial budget of $2500 but in the months to come will definitely be looking to build on my system.

Thanks in advance!
A solar home brewery - now that's what I call self-sufficient!

I purchased 10 new (discontinued model of LG panels) 350 watt panels from Santan Solar about a month ago for $150 each. Very nice panels at a great price since they are new. I picked them up locally so can't speak about shipping cost, but I am very happy with the transaction and the panels were in excellent condition. I worked with the sales manager named Jason.

For your battery selection, you are getting 2400 watt hours of storage for $1718. I recently bought 16 of the 3.2v 280 amp hour LiFePO4 batteries from Xuba for about $1900 total shipped to my door. That allows me to make two 24volt batteries that yield over 14,000 watt hours of storage for about $200 more than you are paying for the 2 batteries you listed. Something to think about... However, I am leaving out that you would still need a Battery Monitoring System (BMS) to monitor the batteries and those could add $70-200 to the total amount depending on which one you picked.

If your up for a DIY project in building a battery this route could save you many thousands of dollars and provide you with a very capable system. If you read the forum and watch Will's videos on battery building it should be a moderately easy task to take on. And the people here are great about answering any questions you could have along the way. Good luck in your solar journey; it's a fun thing to embark upon.

Shipping is a bitch

For your battery selection, you are getting 2400 watt hours of storage for $1718. I recently bought 16 of the 3.2v 280 amp hour LiFePO4 batteries from Xuba for about $1900 total shipped to my door. That allows me to make two 24volt batteries that yield over 14,000 watt hours of storage for about $200 more than you are paying for the 2 batteries you listed. Something to think about... However, I am leaving out that you would still need a Battery Monitoring System (BMS) to monitor the batteries and those could add $70-200 to the total amount depending on which one you picked.

I have considered building my own battery (the actual build doesn't seem like that crazy of an undertaking) however, I have a couple concerns;
1. I've read some horror stories about people getting stuck with duds for batteries and I am not sure I know quite enough to protect myself here
2. I am using the MPP LV2424 all in one unit, and programming that to correctly charge/protect my custom battery is another aspect that I dont know enough about.

I would prefer to build my own battery because it would seem that I can add capacity quicker and more cost effectively.

1. I've read some horror stories about people getting stuck with duds for batteries and I am not sure I know quite enough to protect myself here
There are a handful a tried-and-true vendors on Ali-baba. Find something that looks interesting and post it here (post a link).

2. I am using the MPP LV2424 all in one unit, and programming that to correctly charge/protect my custom battery is another aspect that I don't know enough about.
A lot of people on the forum have used that unit. Search the forum and ask a bunch of questions. You will learn.

I have considered building my own battery (the actual build doesn't seem like that crazy of an undertaking) however, I have a couple concerns;
2. I am using the MPP LV2424 all in one unit, and programming that to correctly charge/protect my custom battery is another aspect that I dont know enough about.

I would prefer to build my own battery because it would seem that I can add capacity quicker and more cost effectively.

1. A bunch of forum members (including myself) have ordered from Xuba and been very satisfied with the results. Literally thousands of these batteries have been shipped to forum members. The supplier of these batteries has been great to the members here and taken good care of us with issues. Just want to make you aware of the possibilities as when I was new I was going to buy Battleborn's as well and a member here told me how much money I could save by building my own and I am very thankful I chose this path. Spending $2000 and building my own vs. $10,000 in Battleborn batteries is a huge difference for me. This is a good thread to read about them - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/xuba-electronics-deal-280ah-lifepo4-cells-purchase-review.3850/

2. These units have a "user defined" section where you select the charging parameters. The BMS also protects your battery bank from overcharging and over-discharging. All of the video's Will has posted on these units show him using LiFePO4 batteries with them. See this page for more information - https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/all-in-one-solar-power-packages1.html

1. A bunch of forum members (including myself) have ordered from Xuba and been very satisfied with the results. Literally thousands of these batteries have been shipped to forum members. The supplier of these batteries has been great to the members here and taken good care of us with issues. Just want to make you aware of the possibilities as when I was new I was going to buy Battleborn's as well and a member here told me how much money I could save by building my own and I am very thankful I chose this path. Spending $2000 and building my own vs. $10,000 in Battleborn batteries is a huge difference for me. This is a good thread to read about them - https://diysolarforum.com/threads/xuba-electronics-deal-280ah-lifepo4-cells-purchase-review.3850/

2. These units have a "user defined" section where you select the charging parameters. The BMS also protects your battery bank from overcharging and over-discharging. All of the video's Will has posted on these units show him using LiFePO4 batteries with them. See this page for more information - https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/all-in-one-solar-power-packages1.html
All extremely helpful! Thanks a ton!

Ive decided to go the build your own battery route. I reached out about the 3.2v 105Ah cells they have and Wan Amy literally told me do not buy these until there is a new batch because what is currently remaining, is a poor quality. Very impressed with a company when they refuse to sell something that isnt up to their standards.

Ive decided to go the build your own battery route. I reached out about the 3.2v 105Ah cells they have and Wan Amy literally told me do not buy these until there is a new batch because what is currently remaining, is a poor quality. Very impressed with a company when they refuse to sell something that isnt up to their standards.
She is great to work with. I had one out of my sixteen batteries arrive that was damaged in the shipping process, even though they did and excellent job at packing them, and she got it taken care of right away. And they used to put 4 to a box and changed it to 2 to a box to ensure all the corners and nice and safe during the shipping process going forward.

Also in my first post in this thread I wrote BMS stands for battery monitoring system, that should read "Battery Management System." Check out that section of the forum when you're ready to learn about those and chose what's best for you.

Back