diy solar

diy solar

New to Lithium for travel trailer. Need some advice!

Spoon686

Hi everyone. First post here. I am looking at upgrading to 2 100 ah batteries on my travel trailer as it came with a 12 volt fridge which is much more of a drain on the system compared to the old lp/120 volt fridge we had in our previous camper. I would like to drop them in the same spot as the original batteries on the front of our camper. We only camp from May to October in Pennsylvania so I'm not really concerned about the batteries below freezing. I have a wfco-9865 charger converter that is not made to charge lithium batteries. As I understand, it will charge to about 80 percent. I have 6 gauge wire running from the plug on the outside of the camper to a wfco panel to the 50 amp main breaker, then 8 gauge wire from the charger convertor to the batteries which I would guess is about 10-15 feet.

My questions are...

1. What brand batteries should I look at buying?

2. I would like to be able to mount a battery life monitor up next to our light switch control panel in the camper. Can I do this wirelessly with a certain battery? I see some our Bluetooth.

3. Do I need to upgrade my wire size to the battery? Specifically I am worried that the batteries may pull to many amps out of the charger convertor when batteries are drained. If this isn't a concern let me know.

My overall goal is to be able to go 1.5-2 days on the batteries without having to run the generator if I can get by. As I understand my fridge will use roughly 55 ah per day if warm and having to cool down empty from another users research online. In reality that will probably not be the case as I will already have it cooled on shore power, and loaded with food. But would like to be prepared. Thanks!

Can't really recommend a battery except to consider a "smart" battery with BT. This should give a decent state of charge and skip the separate monitor.

https://www.us.sokbattery.com/product-page/marine-grade-12v-206ah-lifepo4-battery-sealed-plastic-box

WFCO is fine to start. Will charge 100% but will take more time. Probably only see 13.6 volts as they are notorious for not shifting to Boost mode when expected or at all. I recommend to stay away from "lithium converters" as they charge at the very max 14.6 volts that can again cause balance issues. Much better 14.2 to 14.4 volts. This can be achieved with a PD9260. The smaller 45 amp is fine too if a slower charge on utility power is common. May want larger if fast charging from a generator is needed.

We looked at the SOK batteries but for our limited use, similar to yours, the extra expense didn’t seem worth it.

We went with the Powerurus 200Ah, $730 free shipping no tax and free charger. Customer service has been excellent answering all my questions. Bluetooth gives a fairly good estimate of state of charge.

The 200Ah model won’t fit in your battery boxes but likely 2x100Ah model will.

Thanks guys. Looking in to Big Beard Battery company at the moment. It looks like they might have a 280 ah battery that will fit in the slot on the front tongue of my travel trailer. I have inquired. When they reach out with advice on them I will decide what I want to do.

I haven’t heard of them before. Looks like they’re not yet selling and I don’t see a price listed. Did they quote you a price for their 280Ah?
Not yet. I just saw a good YouTube video on them and I first saw it on a Facebook post of someone receiving batteries.

Back