diy solar

diy solar

New to solar, introduction, possible problems?

PenderBen

Hello all, first time poster, long time lurker :)
I’m a total solar/off grid novice by all means, no prior experience and not the most electrically knowledge, but reading lots and trying hard to understand it all.
Sorry for the long post, I have tried searching the forum and the web in general but am still unsure of some things.

We’re pretty deep into building an off grid house and studio in the Gulf Islands BC; about 3 years in to construction and getting close to done, the two buildings are about 1000sqft total, heavily insulated, slab on grade, wood construction.

Primary heat is in slab with Rinnai propane combi boilers (one for each building), and a small Jotul wood stove in the house building. We’ll be using a propane range. Main power loads will be fridge (390kwh), two HRVs (small load, not sure offhand how much), boilers (also quite small draw), lighting (all LED), and ultimately small electronics (once we’re in there will be modem, router, TV use, small device charging, etc).

It’s been a lot of work, even having contractors do most of the work, I’m doing what I can but time and to some extent skill is limited, plus making sure it’s all up to code.
I’ve hired what I can, including the off grid system. I had a reputable semi local ‘solar guy’ who’s been in the industry since at least the 80’s and done numerous other systems on island design the system and our electrician do the install (he had minimal experience with off grid, not none, but this was his biggest off grid job).
Once the system install was done (which was some time over the summer) I was pretty much on my own, no follow up support from anyone (the electrician has been helpful but isn’t all the knowledge on the subject), the designer just told me to ‘read the manuals’ which is what I’ve done. I’d hoped for more help in at least initial setup.

It is an 8wk 48v system; 24x 360w Longi panels, Magnum MS-PAE 48v inverter/charger (with remote, BMK), Magnum mini panel, Outback 80amp controllers (x2), Midnight disconnects (x2), Simpliphi 3.8kwh 48v batteries (x2). No built in backup generator, but I have a 5kw Honda for manual charging. My plan is to run an extension cord from a future on grid workshop to the house as the primary backup, it’s about 360’, an 8awg cord should work for this purpose.

I’ve run into a few problems now and am not sure what to do. I set all the settings following the various manuals, some things didn’t quite ‘line up’ but I went with the best I could do, which might be what some of the issues are.

About a week ago when I went to the site (we currently live in another house on the same property) the power had shut down overnight. I was able to reset and restart it, when I did the batteries were at 45.7v(!). I had some difficulties getting it going again, mostly just doing things in the wrong order since I’ve never done it before, and found that my generator has an issue where one leg of the 240 isn’t the right frequency… anyway, I did get it going and charging with the solar, then topping up with the generator.

Since the restart I’ve been resetting everything through the remote, now the BMK won’t give me a SOC (just says ‘Think’n’), it did give SOC before it died, and it does give the voltage, etc. now.
One of the problems I’ve run in to (and this might be part of why it got so low before it died as the SOC was inaccurate) is that the lowest AH I can set the inverter/charger to is 200ah, whereas the batteries are only 150ah total.
According to the Magnum manual it will say Think’n until the batteries have reached 100% SOC. What’s strange is it did give me a SOC before it went down, even if inaccurate it was there.

Needless to say we don’t have a lot of solar right now so I’ve been running the generator some each day.

The next issue I’ve got is when I run the generator to charge I can’t tell if/when they’re charged (no SOC). The remote display will say ‘Charging’ when I first start it, but then changes to ‘Constant Current’ (the Simpliphi batteries say to set the charger to CC/CV) and doesn’t change- admittedly I haven’t run it for more than about 30 min at a time), the Magnum manual doesn’t list that as one of the things it would display when charging... It appears to be charging properly, but I am afraid of overcharging (since it thinks it’s 200AH) so haven’t left it running too long, just enough to make sure it doesn’t die again. On the generator it will go to as high as 57v and the volts settle at 53 and some once the generator is off and it has sat for a while, by the next morning it is usually 52 and some volts.
I’m thinking the system needs a third battery, Simpliphi‘s instructions imply as much and it would solve the AH setting issue, not a cheap solution but if it’s needed it’s needed.

Without the SOC all I’ve got to go on is volts, can anyone advise what is a good range to try and keep them in?

Is it safe to just run the generator for a longer time and it shouldn't damage the batteries?

Any advice on this? I don’t want to damage anything.

Thanks for making it through the whole post.
Ben

Sorry for the long post,
Yup. That's a long one alright. A lot to digest.

Do you have any kind of drawing/schematic of the system you could post? It would be helpful. At a high level, this is what I think you described

1671487524178.png

Overall impression: The equipment you listed all sounds like quality gear. The only thing mentioned that was a concern was the small sizes of the battery. (More on that latter)

Without the SOC all I’ve got to go on is volts, can anyone advise what is a good range to try and keep them in?
No. no one can. If anyone gives you a chart of voltage and soc. Ignore it. The Voltage vs charge curve on LiFePO batteries is almost flat through the majority of the curve. The only time the voltage tells you much is when the batteries are almost full or almost empty. The rest of the time the voltage will only tell you that the batteries are someplace between almost full and almost empty.
I’m thinking the system needs a third battery, Simpliphi‘s instructions imply as much and it would solve the AH setting issue, not a cheap solution but if it’s needed it’s needed.
150Ah is not very much. I don't have enough info to claim it is not enough but I suspect so. (The fact that the batteries ran all the way down even with the building unoccupied supports this hypothesis) Consequently, you may want another battery even without the SOC issue. Have you done an energy audit? If not, I would recommend it. It will give you a much better understanding of your energy usage as well as what size system you should have. I use this tool:

It can be a bit of work to do, but it is worth the effort.

Is it safe to just run the generator for a longer time and it shouldn't damage the batteries?
You can run them longer without worry. If the system is set up correctly, your chargers will cut off charge when the batteries are full. Even if the system is not set up correctly, the BMS in the battery will cut off the charge before the cells are damaged.

You mentioned that the batteries are in constant current mode. This is the first part of the charge cycle. The batteries will remain in CC for the majority of the charge time. Once CC is done it will go into Constant Voltage mode, but this won't last very long. It will then go into float.

Hello,
Thanks for the reply and info @FilterGuy

Your schematic is pretty much it, there’s a Rapidfire shutdown in there, otherwise that is basically it; all the wiring from the controllers goes directly into the inverter and the battery leads are in/out of there.
See pic- one issue you may notice, the inverter is mounted to wood, I’m going to correct that and put cement board behind it, overlooked at install time.

Good to know that I should be fine running the generator longer, I’ll see how long I can go tomorrow, went about 2 hours today and never got out of ’constant current’. Magnum makes no mention of using the charger in CC/CV mode so I wasn’t sure, and I haven’t heard back from their support (I’m aware of the issues people have been having so wasn't holding my breath).
Any idea if it is a time based charge, or is it actually adjusting for the battery conditions?
Its the MS4448PAE.

We did do an energy audit at the outset for the designer, but we had to use generic numbers for all the smaller equipment as we don’t have it yet, we did have the HRV’s, boilers and fridge (although we ended up with a slightly bigger fridge that uses more). I think he was relying on there being an automatic backup generator to resolve this kind of trouble, but that’s not the way that went down. He initially pitched having only 1 battery, I wanted 2 thinking it was a buffer.

A couple factors lead up to the shut down. We just got the boilers going and turned the heat on for the first time, they ran for quite a while to get going, like a few hours at least, and that drew the power down (according to the then functioning SOC) from around 100% to about 85%. Then we found a major propane leak and had to shut them down. Once the leak was found and fixed a few days later they had to run for a while again to get back up to temp, not as long this time, but by then the SOC was something like 75%. We haven’t had much good solar since, it was gaining 5-10% per day, but I was letting it go for a bit because why not, thought I had plenty of charge. It took a number of days before shutting down. The night before it ‘died’ the last SOC I saw was 65%.

I realize that the voltage doesn’t change much from empty to full, Simpliphi says it’s range is 48-56v, but they show basically full between 52-53v about 90% DOD at around 50v. Guess that isn’t a very helpful range to use as a gauge.
Regardless, its what I’ve got right now, I’m trying to not let it get below 52v, saw 51.99 today and thats when I started the generator (coincidentally that’s when the PV quit for the day- amazing they are producing anything, currently covered in an inch+ of snow; roof mounted, I’m not clearing them).

If I run the generator long enough to complete the charge cycle and the batteries become fully charged, hopefully the SOC meter functions again, if so, will it be accurate with the wrong AH programmed?

Thanks again; I guess short posts aren’t my thing here :) just trying to not miss anything.

Attachments

• B6A97B12-CD7B-45EA-B100-385D25542160.jpeg
    B6A97B12-CD7B-45EA-B100-385D25542160.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 4
will it be accurate with the wrong AH programmed?
No. If it is programmed with more energy than the batteries actually hold, it may think the battery is full before it actually is. If the generator keeps going till the batteries are actually full, the meter will still say 100%, but after that, it will always report a higher SOC than it should.

I’ll see how long I can go tomorrow, went about 2 hours today and never got out of ’constant current’.
The inverter spec says it will charge the batteries with up to 60A @ 56.4V. That is ~3384W
The batteries are 3.8kwh each for a total 7600Wh. That means it will take about 7600Wh/3384W= 2.25 hours to fully charge from fully empty if there is no other load on the system. The batteries were probably close to full by the time you shut down today (Assuming I understand everything going on)

Thank you once again @FilterGuy

Solid advice, giving it a go running longer today- got a good dump of snow last night so no solar coming through anyway.

I’ll have to decide if another battery is justified or not, would be nice, but they’re about $3k each, not sure if the advantages justify it, mostly having the proper SOC, but obviously I’d have more capacity.

I’ll have to decide if another battery is justified or not, would be nice, but they’re about $3k each
Wow! That is pretty $teep.

Do you have access to any other brands such as EG4? It is not ideal, but you could put a different brand/size 48V battery in parallel to the existing battery.

@FilterGuy
I’ll see about other makes of battery, but mixing brands isn’t my favourite idea at this early stage, and a big factor is things are generally more expensive up here.

Well, no luck on fully charging today. I let it run for about 2.5hours, it never got out of CC mode, and at some point near the end of the run- and why I shut it down- the volts started to run away, it just started ramping up, I saw it hit 77+ volts, the fault light came on, the generator disconnected, then it reconnected and started charging again only to repeat. I‘m not sure how many time it did it, I wasn’t closely monitoring the whole time, but I know it did it at least a few time.

There is a fault with my generator, as I mentioned in the first post, it’s not putting out the proper frequency on one leg of the circuit I’m using to charge, could this possibly be a problem? I did try a friends generator when I first had issues with charging, it seemed to functionally work the same as mine so I kept using mine, the only apparent fault from this is the AC passthrough, if I use the lights in the buildings some of them flicker/flash.

Yeah, it was weird, I watched it just start climbing and it didn’t stop until then and the fault light went on. It was just a few moments of climbing then reset.
Not sure what’s up or what to try next, in the mean time I’ll keep some charge by running it for shorter periods of time.

Okay, finally some success!

I charged for a bit to make sure everything was adequately charged, then I did a hard reset and reset everything and ran the generator again.
Things were finally lining up, and it seemed to recognize that it’s 48v.
This time it finally went into CV after not that long at CC (I had charged it up for over an hour before the reset), it briefly said ‘floating’ but quickly went back to CV, not sure why, but the charge amps slowly dropped to around 8, volts were pretty steady around 58 and finally the SOC said 100%!
I shut the generator down at that point and will keep an eye on it all. I realize the SOC will be inaccurate, but knowing that I should have a much better idea on what’s going on with it going forward.

@FilterGuy, thanks again for the advice, it definitely helped me get to this point.

Back