diy solar

diy solar

New to the site, old greymuzzle in electronics and power systems! Like what I see!

Stubat

hello, all. Been browsing some BMS messages and finding good stuff here. Figure should join in, see if I can learn and be useful...

A half/century+ of electronics experience, much of it power and backup power related. I'm in the Calif redwoods, lots of power issues due to weather and, lately, politics. So, I had a battery setup and a pretty efficient household. Was FLA golf cart batteries for 5 years, running a cobbled up pile of small and large inverters/UPSes and charging from tweaked LED power supplies or server supplies. All electronics from Ebay, used or "As-is". System was 12V 800AH, 300W UPS for critical loads (Lights, comms) 3000W sinewave inverter for 'Grunt".

New setup is looking to be 1200 LG 18650 cells, 2.6AH each, pulls, in a few 10S 30-40P banks, feeding a recycled Dell 1000W sinewave UPS. (36V up to 40A draw). Charging and BMS still being configured. 2 Cisco 42V 27A router P/S likely to provide the charge thru a programmable CV/CC power converter. Most of the house draws about 100W, comms and big computer 50"4K display adds about 150-200. Refer and freezer couple hundred total watts once running, modded for soft start. 120V 12,000BTU Pioneer mini-split heat pump can run on UPS but only at lower settings. I use either a 1800W Westinghouse or 3200W Harbor Freight inverter generator for long outages, daytime only to charge or if i need heavy heat pump usage.

Actual solar maybe down the road, but I'm mostly on-grid, and don't have a lot of sun in these trees. Have done small solar for RVs, and spec'ed Mom's 5.3KW solar setup. So a bit of experience there. Anyway, take care, stay safe and healthy! God bless, Stu

hello, all. Been browsing some BMS messages and finding good stuff here. Figure should join in, see if I can learn and be useful...

A half/century+ of electronics experience, much of it power and backup power related. I'm in the Calif redwoods, lots of power issues due to weather and, lately, politics. So, I had a battery setup and a pretty efficient household. Was FLA golf cart batteries for 5 years, running a cobbled up pile of small and large inverters/UPSes and charging from tweaked LED power supplies or server supplies. All electronics from Ebay, used or "As-is". System was 12V 800AH, 300W UPS for critical loads (Lights, comms) 3000W sinewave inverter for 'Grunt".

New setup is looking to be 1200 LG 18650 cells, 2.6AH each, pulls, in a few 10S 30-40P banks, feeding a recycled Dell 1000W sinewave UPS. (36V up to 40A draw). Charging and BMS still being configured. 2 Cisco 42V 27A router P/S likely to provide the charge thru a programmable CV/CC power converter. Most of the house draws about 100W, comms and big computer 50"4K display adds about 150-200. Refer and freezer couple hundred total watts once running, modded for soft start. 120V 12,000BTU Pioneer mini-split heat pump can run on UPS but only at lower settings. I use either a 1800W Westinghouse or 3200W Harbor Freight inverter generator for long outages, daytime only to charge or if i need heavy heat pump usage.

Actual solar maybe down the road, but I'm mostly on-grid, and don't have a lot of sun in these trees. Have done small solar for RVs, and spec'ed Mom's 5.3KW solar setup. So a bit of experience there. Anyway, take care, stay safe and healthy! God bless, Stu

Sounds like you've got a good bit of knowledge and experience to share and contribute, and some interesting projects coming up! Welcome aboard.

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, surrounded by sticks of 18650 cells, charging/balancing slowly, waiting for more electronic bits from ebay. And have to figure a mounting scheme, too. Will post if it gets interesting!~ Stu

Back