diy solar

diy solar

new user here with a temperature question

bwpsg42

Just wondering if the battery temperature reflected in the attached graph is something that needs to be addressed with a small aircon. Also attached is a graph of the battery current during this same period. The temp is spiking during the time they are starting to recharge from the night. Thanks

Attachments

• 7 day battery current.png
    7 day battery current.png
    298.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 7 day battery temp.png
    7 day battery temp.png
    290.5 KB · Views: 19
Can't tell due to lack of units.

If it's 140 deg F I'd be worried. 140 C I'd be running away, fast.
But if it's 14.0 C I'd not care.

What kind of battery?

140 is HOT for a battery. And those spikes are narrow.
Are you sure the sensor isn't measuring temperature of electrical connector, heated by current?

What makes the spikes in current?

As Tim asks, what is battery capacity? Wondering if the current draw is excessive and causing rapid heating.

It looks like a terminal sensor and the terminal is getting hot. I doubt the cells are getting that hot.

Inspect wiring, sizing, lugs, tightness, etc.

I have the same graph in SA
I do not have a battery temp sensor connected to SA. NONE
I do not have smart batteries.

I am wondering where this info is coming from for you and for me !?! Mine is less ghastly tho.

But I guess its worth mentioning that ambient temps of install location were between 55- 62 F
Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 18-48-05 SolarAssistant.pngming

Last edited:
Yes, you need to do something about those high temps (prob a loose connection somewhere getting hot)
An AC unit is a band-aid that may not even address this issue.
If it's 105 and hot in the middle of summer, then yes adding an AC unit may be the answer.

There's also the possibility that those temperature graphs are miss labeled and that's something inside the inverter.

Barring bad crimps and loose connections, keeping the batts at 77F degrees should increase their life.

Also won’t loose as much efficiency.

We put a mini split in our electronics shed and keep the temp set at 77. We’re in the hot desert. I figure that energy wise the split runs for free.

Each to their own. Enjoy!

Thank you all.. I’m in the Florida keys about 20 miles from Key West. I have 12 485w panels set in 3 arrays of four panels, each connected to a different moot, 3 LL4 batteries connected to a pair of 6000XP units through big buss bars. I’m running a 18000btu dual head mini, soon to be 2, and most of the other 120v circuits in the house. Each night we use about 50% of battery capacity. The temps, I guess, are being reported to the SA by the inverters and to them from the BMS. I will recheck the connections which were torquedto spec. The units are degrees F. As I type this at 0230, the outside temp is 78, the battery is showing 85, inverter 84 and I’m drawing 400W. Here is a shot of PV power vs utilization (watts) for the same period. The battery reaches 100% pretty quickly in the morning, usually by 1130. Max charge urgent is currently set to 125A. Perhaps this i too high. Should I turn that down and stretch the charge over a longer period? Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1714890716486.png
    1714890716486.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back