diy solar

diy solar

Newbe new cabin system

So three series strings of three into two three into one connectors than into the charge controller.
With that controller, would I have to go to a 36volt battery bank?
No. Your charge controller will either be programmed by you or most likely itll figure out the battery voltage and charge at that.

OK, I'm confused. The addreviations don't help.
Sorry, these are all from your pic in post #7. Unfortunately they are not labeled with abbreviations.

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 10.42.12 PM.png
There are 2 panel voltages. One is the open circuit voltage (Voc) and this is the no-load voltage that a panel will achieve under the specified test conditions at 25C. This is the equivalent of revving your car while in neutral. This voltage is used for configuring the array and making sure it does not exceed your SCCs max input voltage.

The second voltage is max power voltage (Vmp) and its pretty much the expected working voltage. This voltage (along with Imp) is used in calculating panel watts (more on that later).

There are 2 panel amperages. One is the "worst case" short circuit amperage used for sizing panel/array wiring and fusing. It can be measured easiest with a clamp meter with the panels + and - wires connected. It sounds bad but its ok for short periods of testing.

The second amperage is max power current (Imp, "I" ... capital i, is the symbol for current). Imp is the working current in amps, or commonly just called amps.

So to get back to your question in post, you use the Vmp value (the sum for each 3 panels in series) and Imp value (the sum for each of the 3 strings connected in parallel)
By my calculations, 112.8 volts and 24.81 amps = 2798.57 watts, Correct??
Each panel: 30.3Vmp x 8.27Imp = 250.5W
(3 x 30.3V) x (3 x 8.27) = 2255W

Hopefully this makes sense and is helpful. Please ask if its not clear.

One thing is should add is that when you have 3 or more strings connected in parallel, each string needs to be fused. So you will need 3 of these MC4 fuses to add to the + lines to your panels at the 3:1 Y connector.

One thing is should add is that when you have 3 or more strings connected in parallel, each string needs to be fused. So you will need 3 of these MC4 fuses to add to the + lines to your panels at the 3:1 Y connector.

Does each panel need one of these or just the positive leads going into the positive three way (three total) and what size should be used, 15 amp??

Again thank you all very much, very helpful!!

Does each panel need one of these or just the positive leads going into the positive three way (three total) and what size should be used, 15 amp??
One for each series string, so just 3.
The link for 5 looked cheaper than 3 individually.

The combiner box a nice bit of kit too. Knowing where to place it and thinking thru wiring it is the key. I found the wiring to it (6 wires for 3 strings) difficult if the combiner awash from array and out of elements.
One benefit of conbiner box is it’s cutoff functionality so having that in a convenient location a big plus.
Yes 15A. Your panel label says 15A fuse too.

I like the combiner box idea, issue is that I am not positive if the plan in my head is really going to work once I get there.

Any suggestions as far as the combiner box? The rating are what always throw me off.

What would be going in per series string would be about 250watts but what would be coming out would be 2255watts, so the below unit would work??
I'm really trying to get this all straight in my head.

4) WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Suitable for photovoltaic grid-connected and off-grid power generation systems, solar panel systems, photovoltaic arrays, RV solar energy, and household solar panel systems. It can support solar panel systems up to 720W in 12V systems, 1440W in 24V systems, and 2880W in 48V systems. Compatible with any brand of solar panels and solar connectors

Yesterday I partially put my system together out in the driveway,
Three of the above solar panels in series going into the combiner box then out to the Flexmax charge controller.
Everything fired up no problem with a deep cycle battery that I pulled out of the boat.
I roughly adjusted the parameters.

I noticed that I was taking in about 110 volts, but as far as the amps it was only reading .1 amp
It was a partly sunny day
Just wondering if that sounds normal???

I am trying to assemble this system prior to traveling to the cabin in alaska so I can screw the system to the wall, hook up some batteries and panel and use it without spending a lot of time configuring wiring etc.

Gary

I noticed that I was taking in about 110 volts, but as far as the amps it was only reading .1 amp
It was a partly sunny day
Just wondering if that sounds normal???
If the battery was full it will also not really draw anything. The solar panels don't push power, they give power when requested by the rest of the system.

The next step while you've got it out for testing is to throw a good load on it while the sun is up and make sure your SCC is ramping up the charge. A few minutes would be plenty for testing. If it doesn't ramp up then it's in a good place for troubleshooting.

Yeah, I ordered a bunch more parts that I won't see till next week so I can do it properly.
Not planning on adding an inverter this time around so I'll have to hook an electric trolling motor to it or something, that should pull some amps.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as batteries?? Brand and Model??
I was initially thinking about just getting Napa brand deep cycle batteries since there is a Napa there but now I'm second guessing myself.
I would like to initially build a 4 battery 24volt system, I'm thinking agm since the cabin will be unattended during the winter months.
I don't think Petersburg Alaska gets extended periods of time below 20, but based on the winters I've been having in idaho who knows.

Gary

Back