diy solar

diy solar

Newbie and system ordered 48V 6500watt what panels or solar array suggestions?

RAA

What solar array and what wiring is required to run in parallel? THANKS!

48V Inverter Charger

6500W 48V SOLAR CHARGE INVERTER PARALLEL + WIFI MONITOR UL1741 LISTED​

Last edited:
as mentioned above, no one knows the voltage input limit on your charge controller. that would help answer your question.

for example, my Sol-Ark 12k can handle up to 500v input from the solar array.

my old (junk) controller could only handle 150v in.

both systems are 48v 60a. so it can vary wildly how you would need to series/parallel your panels together.

as far as brand?

I currently use Hanwah Qcells. decent. considered a middle-of-the-road brand. not a cheap-o, but not LG or Panasonic grade either.

check out Mission Solar brand panels. that is what I am buying in a few months when we move, and expand our array and upgrade our batteries (we will be moving to Fortress eFlex lithium batteries)

Why the early requirement to "run in parallel"? Assuming you mean panels in parallel vs your mystery "48V 6500W" thingy.

>>
Built-in MPPT solar charger max 120A and utility battery charger max 120A, Max PV input 250V (Voc) ,Dual PV input.
>>

Looks like you can have 2 arrays per SCC up to 250Voc (~210Voc temp compensated).

You pretty much have a big blank slate in front of you to add a lot of panels.

You should look for big cheap panels in your area on sources like craigslist, offerup, and Fakebook marketplace.

These look like mid-sized 240W panels, maybe available cheap?

Goals are to run this type of system to power 2-3 window units, 1 deep freeze, 2 fridges, minor lighting, TV and fans during power outages.
Approx 1500sq foot one story home in south Louisiana
Can you figure out kWh per day from an electricity bill or estimate? That will allow figuring out how many panels you need.

Per above the builtin MPPT Solar Charge Controller is a 250/120 unit with a 6.5kW 48V inverter. A rough PV estimate with 300w+ and 40VOC PVs (not factoring in Temp) yields 6 panels in Series (@6x40). Amperage is fixed => 8-10awg wire. 6S2P is a 12-panel option. For Parallel PVs, there are issues: three or more parallel PV's require fusing each one, wire size increases with amperage boost, and efficiency suffers. Check the AWG cable charts for distance and amps. Run in parallel refers to linking the AIO's.

Last edited:
>>
Built-in MPPT solar charger max 120A and utility battery charger max 120A, Max PV input 250V (Voc) ,Dual PV input.
>>

Looks like you can have 2 arrays per SCC up to 250Voc (~210Voc temp compensated).

You pretty much have a big blank slate in front of you to add a lot of panels.

You should look for big cheap panels in your area on sources like craigslist, offerup, and Fakebook marketplace.

These look like mid-sized 240W panels, maybe available cheap?

Can you figure out kWh per day from an electricity bill or estimate? That will allow figuring out how many panels you need.
So if I have solar panels that are each 370W with 47.8 VOC and 9.81 AMPS I can run 5 in parallel which would cause the VOC to be 47.8x5 and still under the 250v (VOC) of the inverter while not increasing the AMPS (seems many do not like this due to efficiency loss and needing to put a fuse at each panel)
OR if run the same panel in series I could run 10 panels while not increasing the VOC but the AMPS would increase to 98.10 and (a fuse at the end of each the positive and negative string would be proper?) giving me more juice or access to more juice if needed? still remaining under the VOC and 120 AMPs of the inverter capacity??? THANKS!

You put them in series to add the bolts. 4 of those in series is max because temp drop below 25C (77F) causes voltage increase.

still remaining under the VOC and 120 AMPs of the inverter capacity???
Not exactly. The array volts NEED to stay below SCC max input voltage. One uses array Voc with a buffer for low temp (increases voltage) compensation.

The 120A are the charging amps to the battery, not related (directly) to array amps. Array amps need to be kept low because of panel max fusing numbers (usually 15A), connector limits and wiring size/costs.

Last edited:
as mentioned above, no one knows the voltage input limit on your charge controller. that would help answer your question.

for example, my Sol-Ark 12k can handle up to 500v input from the solar array.

my old (junk) controller could only handle 150v in.

both systems are 48v 60a. so it can vary wildly how you would need to series/parallel your panels together.

as far as brand?

I currently use Hanwah Qcells. decent. considered a middle-of-the-road brand. not a cheap-o, but not LG or Panasonic grade either.

check out Mission Solar brand panels. that is what I am buying in a few months when we move, and expand our array and upgrade our batteries (we will be moving to Fortress eFlex lithium batteries)
What led you to Mission Solar panels?

I also have Q panels. Have had good luck with them so far..

I posted/edited earlier and there is a link to the unit purchased via this site.

Good morning,

Lots of questions as I am going to install soon

Here is the inverter I have as listed and linked above from a year ago
- Built-in MPPT solar charger max 120A and utility battery charger max 120A, Max PV input 250V (Voc) ,Dual PV input

Here are the panels I have
https://www.solarfeeds.com/product/all-black-aion60g1-330/

(20) ELECTRICAL CHARACTERISTICS AION60G1-330Nominal maximum powerMaximum power voltageMaximum power currentOpen-circuit voltage

Series fuse rating is 20A
330 watt panels

Maximum System
Voltage 1500 V
Maximum system voltage - what is this? max panels in series?

(V)Imp 9.76

(A)Voc 41.31 - 2 strings of 5 panels in series = 208 (approx) per string running to one input? (says 250VdC max per input so I could run 6 but I only have 20 panels) 2 strings of 5 panels in series using a branch connector connecting both series to one line to run back to the inverter = 208? per input giving approx 6,000 watts

What size copper line from the branch connector to the inverter? 20-30feet run to the inverter - 10 gauge?

The length of run back to the inverter is 20-30 feet - from the branch connector can I run 10 gauge copper 20-30 feet?

Isc Short-circuit current 10.37 - 5 panels in series would bring this to 52 (approx) thus requiring an in line fuse to each panel?

Can I use a 20amp in line fuse on each panel (red positive line) just before that panels MC4 connector?

Maximum system voltage 1500v - what is this? max panels in series?

What are some in line fuse suggestions?

THANK YOU!!!

diy solar

diy solar
Back