diy solar

diy solar

Newbie from Ontario Canada

MrGadget

Seasons Greetings!
New to solar, and investigating solar/wind/battery systems for future RV boondocking adventures. I've been following several others that have done this.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited:
Welcome Mike, several of us are from Ontario "Canada not California" here. Feel free to hangout, ask questions and learn. TIP don't buy anything till you have a plan nailed down.

Welcome Mike, several of us are from Ontario "Canada not California" here. Feel free to hangout, ask questions and learn. TIP don't buy anything till you have a plan nailed down.
Thanks Steve. Have nothing as yet. There is someone in GTA offering 325W poly panels for $200 ea. which looks very interesting. IMG_20191230_151545.JPG

Heliene Panels are Tier-1 products but for that price, those may be B-Series / B-Grade. DNM in Hogtown has some good deals too, as well as Dommelvalley. These are 60Cell panels but I am not sure how you would mount that on any vehicle. Also if your considering a MOBILE system, do have a look at the Samlex Inverters (link in signature) which have features particular to marine / rv use and accept 120VAC in from "shore power" and some have dual AC (1 for genset, 1 for grid / shore) and they have a built in ATS (Auto Transfer switch) and an AGS port (Auto Gen Start) as well. These are also more intelligent and can be programmed for LiFePO4, Lithium an can interact somewhat with a smart good BMS (Battery Management System for LFP/LiIon)

You will need to figure out how much power your are going to use, for how many hours per day and if you want any reserve for extra days without sun/shore/genset power to charge batteries. Once you know how much power you will need (add 20%) then we can size a battery pack and then a solar charge controller capable of charging it. NOTE EVO Samlex Inverter has a Solar Charge Controller input which can really simplify a lot of stuff out (ie save $) but it is limited to a MAX of 50A solar input from the SCC. They use DECA Charge Controllers, here is the MPPT selections, not the bigger one has 2 MPPT controllers and inputs. https://samlexamerica.com/products/ProductsList.aspx?cid=SS12 ** The 6000 "M" series handled LFP, LiIOn etc, the non-"M" if for FLA, GEL etc. Most importantly do not get locked into gear which cannot be updated / expanded at a later date, I say this because at least 75% of people out there end up doing it and it can be costly to replace equipment rather than just adding on new. Been There, Done That, Still doing it ! do not ask how my wallet feels about it, it's still in shock and trying to recover...

BTW: Canadian Solar 330W Poly panels @ DNM are $245 and these are A-Grade : https://dnmsolar.com/product.php?product=204

NOTE that I use MIdnite Classic SCC & a Samlex EVO. IF I was building today (as I am a cabineer) I would likely go with Victron (wasn't available when I built my system) because the integration and capabilities make it a nice family of products which can be software managed & monitored and support the more recent tech such as LFP/LiIon/Lito etc...

ON the upgrades ongoing, case in point, I've just rebuilt the ShunBIn pack and about to integrate it into my existing system which has a large FLA bank already which is complicating matters considerably. And as such adding to wallet shock, with more wiring, cables, & hardware plus a new BMS and everything that goes with it.

Back