diy solar

diy solar

Cheers from Sweden

BjornM

MacGyver's apprentice
I live in an off grid cabin deep in the woods of Värmland, which is in the western parts of Sweden, bordering on Norway. I came to this web site when I was doing research on LiFePO4 batteries, which I now have ordered to replace my lead acid battery bank.

I used to work in the solar power industry as a team leader of a small crew that installed residential solar panels and inverters. Most of my career has been as a software developer (websites, games, real time systems), and I've also been an electronics engineer. I was a pioneer in the Street View image industry before Google Street View existed.

I lived in Thailand for 11 years, where I worked as a musician and had a fish farm and fruit orchard.

Now I'm semi-retired, and slowly working my way to become more independent from society. I already produce my own energy, have well water, my own sewage system, and heat my home with fire wood from my own property. Next step is to ramp up food production with the goal of growing/raising 50% of what I eat.

I've been discussing at this website for a few weeks, and I think this a great place for solar power enthusiasts.

====================================================
EDIT: adding some notes about my solar installation, for those interested:

I have 15 x 370 W panels of type IBC MonoSol on my roof, in total 5.6 kW. This is connected to a Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 charge controller and fed into a 8 x 12 V 100 Ah deep cycle lead acid battery bank, in a 24 V configuration. Two of those batteries recently failed after 8 years of use, and have been removed. Now waiting to replace the whole thing with LFP. The solar is deliberately over sized (I'd manage on 1 kW in the summer), so that I get enough even on cloudy days and in the short days of the winter months. I have very modest energy use in my cabin.

I use two inverters, a Sun Gold PSW7-30-24-E00 (3 kW continuous, 6 kW peak) and a Vicron Phoenix 375 W inverter. This is because the latter has very low idle power consumption which is good for the winter months when I just barely have enough power. Everything here is MacGyver style low cost, because I don't have much money to spend.

I have also made a control/monitoring system I designed from an Arduino, which shows me the SOC of the batteries, solar power, inverter power, and overall status of the system. It is connected to several relays, voltage sensors, current shunts, and temp sensors. For example it senses when the well water pump needs to run, and then switches over to the larger inverter, runs a pump cycle and then switches back.

In the winter I also turn off my fridge, which is the largest energy consumer, and instead have two ducts of outdoor air come into my fridge, one at the top and one at the bottom, to create circulation. Each duct has a fan, and the Arduino measures the fridge temp and outdoor temp, and turn them on and off accordingly. This gives me a constant 3 C / 37 F. Food that should be frozen I instead store in a box in my unheated garage.

Ideas for future projects include a wind turbine (lots of wind here), and to have any surplus solar energy heat water in my heat accumulator tank.

Last edited:
Welcome!

Presumably you know to keep your batteries above freezing, or suppress charging below.

I had a trip to Stockholm for work once, stayed an extra week taking a bicycle trip.

Welcome!

Presumably you know to keep your batteries above freezing, or suppress charging below.

I had a trip to Stockholm for work once, stayed an extra week taking a bicycle trip.

Thanks. Yea, they'll sit comfortably indoors, so no worries.

Lots of bicycle lanes in Sweden. I hope you had a nice time.

Sounds like an interesting life story.
Since you are a drummer, What do you think of Wintergatan. I've followed the marble machine builds for a while now and I like their music as well.
Wintergatan is a very cool project. Mad scientist style. I haven't heard their music though, will check it out.

Thanks. Yea, they'll sit comfortably indoors, so no worries.

Lots of bicycle lanes in Sweden. I hope you had a nice time.

The trip was fine. Cool weather around September or so, light rain, perfect to keep me comfortable. Camped along the roadside and ate in Cafes.

When I got back to town, a newspaper said, "Mass grave". The ferry had sunk due to bow ramp not remaining sealed.

Prior to the trip, my boss had commented on how low crime was in Sweden. It was just about then we read of Hells Angels and another bike club fighting, someone's home getting firebombed.

In later years, I read of lots of street violence. Fighters in surrounding nations had laid down their arms, creating a surplus for dealers to move, promotions like, "Buy a military rifle and get a free hand grenade!"

Those peaceful European nations need to stop taking a cue from the US and UK, crack down on violent criminals. Limit immigrants to people who love your country's way of life.

The trip was fine. Cool weather around September or so, light rain, perfect to keep me comfortable. Camped along the roadside and ate in Cafes.

When I got back to town, a newspaper said, "Mass grave". The ferry had sunk due to bow ramp not remaining sealed.

Prior to the trip, my boss had commented on how low crime was in Sweden. It was just about then we read of Hells Angels and another bike club fighting, someone's home getting firebombed.

In later years, I read of lots of street violence. Fighters in surrounding nations had laid down their arms, creating a surplus for dealers to move, promotions like, "Buy a military rifle and get a free hand grenade!"

Those peaceful European nations need to stop taking a cue from the US and UK, crack down on violent criminals. Limit immigrants to people who love your country's way of life.

That was the Estonia catastrophe in 1994. A huge deal at the time, and still not properly investigated.

Don't get me started on immigration and Swedish politics. It is one of the reasons I live as a recluse far away from society. I think better we just keep the politics out of this wonderful forum. But I'd be happy to discuss elsewhere or by email (see https://www.bjornmoren.com/About-me.html).

Ahh, I was going to ask you how you supported yourself far from society. Now I see the post updates.

One guy here describes using a freeze dryer to preserve food, says it lasts far longer than canned or frozen. Others use diatomaceous earth to protect grain from bugs. You might want to build up a long-term stash.

I'm not terribly inspired to put up and then consume preserves from my few fruit trees, the way my mother and sister have done. Just have a few freezers. I'm busy with tinkering and all the anxieties of life. Settled at the edge of town, biking distance to a previous job, never developed my mountain lot beyond an RV and a water line from a spring.

Managing electrical loads is an approach I believe in, but I just brute-forced it with excess PV. Need better shedding of large loads rather than just the entire house when battery drains.

In the winter I also turn off my fridge, which is the largest energy consumer, and instead have two ducts of outdoor air come into my fridge, one at the top and one at the bottom, to create circulation. Each duct has a fan, and the Arduino measures the fridge temp and outdoor temp, and turn them on and off accordingly. This gives me a constant 3 C / 37 F.

:ROFLMAO: great idea!

Great idea, will look into it.

I looked into freeze drying home food due to their better nutritional preservation than regular drying methods. If I recall, freeze drying uses a ton of electricity, so it would likely be something confined to summer months where PV is in excess. A small home unit is also 10x the price of a regular food dehydrator at retail prices. You can get a significant break on the price if you organize a group buy direct from China.

I looked into freeze drying home food due to their better nutritional preservation than regular drying methods. If I recall, freeze drying uses a ton of electricity, so it would likely be something confined to summer months where PV is in excess. A small home unit is also 10x the price of a regular food dehydrator at retail prices. You can get a significant break on the price if you organize a group buy direct from China.
From what I remember it was something like 24kWh over 24 hours for a full cycle. So a kWh per hour used.

Another thread asks what we do to save energy.

That which gets heated, later gets cooled.
That which has vacuum pulled, later gets vented back to atmosphere.

Another post is about pasteurization of beer. It does use some reverse-flow heat exchangers.
I'd think lyophilization machines could similar be made more efficient.

Oof... don't mention group buy on here...

SOOOOO many got burned with one.

Oof... don't mention group buy on here...

SOOOOO many got burned with one.

Yeah if I were to ever do a group buy (run one or buy into one), I would either do it with money I can afford to lose but best option would be to only do it with people I know and trust. There are a number of people on this forum (such as yourself), that even though we've never met IRL, I feel like I've gotten to know you enough over the last couple of years, that I could trust you for something like this. As well as some other members of this forum. But I understand there's still some hard feelings over what went down before and it's probably best this forum isn't used to organize any more group buys (I think that's even one of the forum rules now).

Apparently the diamond business in NYC is so small and tight, everything is done on handshakes and trust. No contracts or other legal forms. You screw someone over once in that business and you'll never work again with diamonds. And probably a few other sectors. And New Yorkers are deeply connected all over the world.

Another thread asks what we do to save energy.

That which gets heated, later gets cooled.
That which has vacuum pulled, later gets vented back to atmosphere.

Another post is about pasteurization of beer. It does use some reverse-flow heat exchangers.
I'd think lyophilization machines could similar be made more efficient.

I feel like after eight years of energy starvation, I've become a good at trimming down consumption during the cold half of the year, and then I enjoy the energy abundance in the summer. Spent countless hours trying to figure out a way to store energy that is better than batteries, but failed. My bet would be on pumped water storage, but it is highly dependent on features of your property, not doable here.

I wonder what happened to redox flow batteries. The idea of just adding more fluid to increase capacity is very appealing.

Also looked into heat + electric cogeneration. Since I have unlimited amounts of firewood, and already heat my home with it, I could attach Peltier elements or a Stirling engine with a generator. Or for that matter just run a separate steam turbine in my garage. Interesting tech, that I probably will experiment with some day, but for now I have lower hanging fruit I need to focus on.

Back