diy solar

diy solar

Newbie needs help with solar charging. Negative terminal melting insulation.

Fishpharmer

Trying to learn how to make a solar powered RV
Hi, I am new here, been watching Will Prowse on youtube trying to learn something. I bought two new Li Time 12v 100Ah TM batteries. I was trying to charge each battery individually with my 400 watts of solar panels and thunderbolt charge controller before connecting in parallel. The negative connector got so hot it melted the insulation. I connected it to a lead acid battery and my other Li Time battery and this did not happen. I reconnected to “hot” LiTime and it got hot again. Could my new battery be bad? The other “good” LiTime battery shows 14.8V. The “hot” LiTime shows 13.5V after a day connected to 400 watts and thunderbolt charger. Thanks for reading and any information. Should I return battery?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 33
Thank you @BentleyJ !! I will do that. I guess the thing that baffles me is that it did not get hot on the other 3 batteries I connected it too.

A little off topic but I just connected the two 12v 100 Ah Li Time batteries in parallel with 3 foot 2/0 ga cables. I hooked up my small 1500 watt jupiter modified sine wave convertor to it with 6 ft 2 ga cables. Next I plugged in my 5000 btu 120v Air-conditioner in the camper. It ran flawlessly. I had 13.28 V going into inverter to start. I did not time it. I had 12.9 when I turned the inverter off. The AC seemed to work fine. I don’t have enough Ah to run the AC very long. Yet, it is good to know that if I expand my battery bank I could run AC.
Thank you! I will be quiet and read a lot now.

MisterSandals you had me second guessing myself. I just enlarged the photo, all is good.
Thanks

Attachments

• 193D890A-AAB6-4CB0-9CE2-3D75846CDEF0.png
    193D890A-AAB6-4CB0-9CE2-3D75846CDEF0.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 6

diy solar

diy solar
Back