diy solar

diy solar

Newbie with no talent

Bevrossg

I am a widow who wants to be prepared to power a heated health bed if SHTF happens. I guess with very detailed instructions I could try to builld something, but would happily buy what you recommend.

My suggestion would be a blue eddy style generator. Find out how much power your bed uses in a 24 hour period. You can due this by using a kilowatt meter sold at a minards/lows store.
Then you can look into a solar generator. You may or may not even need to use the solar recharge on a regular basis. You could recharge it from Utility most of the time.
Its a start, feel free to ask more questions. Someone will be right with you.

Usually, anything making heat is the largest consumer of watts around the house. Assuming that this will be running mostly at night, then more or less 100% of it is going to have to come from battery storage.

Realisticly though, you need to be powering more than just the bed. During power outages, you'll want to keep the lights on, and the refrigerator running? Let's assume you need ~3.0kWh of power just for 20th century necessities. Add on the consumption of the bed on top of that.

So, follow Darren's recommendation and add 3.0kWh to that. That will give you a ball-park number of what you will really need.

If the bed is literally all you want to power, just look up how many amps it draws, and get a portable battery backup unit that size, like a Jackery or Bluetti or similar. Then get a folding solar panel to recharge the backup unit.

Back