diy solar

diy solar

Newbie with questions

Soundwav

Ended up getting 4 cs3u-340p panels for free last year. Finally have the resources to put a system together..

Each panel is putting out 42 volts when tested with multimeter..

Rated for 45v
Amp rating is 9 amps

I know these ratings are under optimal conditions ..

I'm not sure if I'm going to wire them in series or parallel (thinking parallel)

my question is should I look into a combiner box for added protection and simplicity of wires or is
The combiner box complete overkill and just add a mc4 fuse to each panel?

This will be an off grid system

Thank you

You need to step back and holistically look at your entire solution before you post this question. What battery voltage you choose will dictate (through the charge controller) which is the most efficient way to wire the panels. In other words. it is not something you just decide I want to wire in parallel or serial.

A little more details on your application and other device selections and I am sure you will get plenty of help.

24v battery lithium ion x2

Mppt controller is 60amp

60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V 36V 48V AUTO Solar Panel Regulator for Lithium LiFePO4 Sealed Gel Flooded Batteries

Inverter had not been purchased yet

Last edited:
Well if you are hard set on that controller, you would be looking at a 2S2P configuration (2 panels in series and in parallel with the other 2 that are in series) to get what the manual is calling a 30v to 100v "working voltage"

Any particular reason for this controller? I ask as you are getting into the Victron price range here, which is a much better unit, unless you plan on adding panels.

For anyone else looking manual for the MPPT can be found here.

Edit: Forget about the cost compared to Victron. I had not noticed your link was for maple syrup dollars. :)

Last edited:
Maple syrup dollars..

That's absolutely hilarious..
Thanks for the laugh

So do I bother with the combiner box or just fuse the panels??

Back