diy solar

diy solar

Newby would appreciate feedback on proposed set-up

mpickus

Mark from El Cerrito CA here.
I’m new to off-grid solar. Hoping for some helpful feedback on my planned set-up. My goal is to use solar panels to charge my plug-in hybrid car (26 mile electric range) and to provide emergency back-up power for my house during our frequent California power outages. I want to include a manual transfer switch to flip house over to generator power during an outage. My approximate budget is $5000 (after 22% federal tax credit).
Power needs:
Average home electrical consumption: 12KWh per day (we could lower by conserving)
We don’t have/need air conditioning and would definitely conserve during a power outage by not using microwave, electric kettles, heated bathroom floor, etc. Biggest current draws are gas furnace blower and refrigerator.
Full car charge: 120V x 3.25A x 8hrs = 3200Wh = 3.2KWh
Car charger is rated at 12 amps but I tested with a clamp meter and the actual draw is 3.25 amps while charging. Because we use the car for short trips around town, it rarely needs a full charge. We plug it in about 3-4 times a week. During a power outage, we would not need to charge it all, relying on the 500 mile hybrid range.

Proposed set-up
  • 100A MPPT Charge Controller and 5000W inverter with NEMA L14-30R 30A receptacle and 120V-240V step up transformer
  • (2) SOK 12V 200AH LIFEPO4 LITHIUM IRON PHOSPHATE BATTERY PACK with BMS
  • (6) RICH SOLAR 200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panels (I tested one of these and was impressed with how well it worked in cloudy conditions)
  • 50 Amp 10-Circuit Manual Transfer Switch by Reliance Controls

Looks pretty good to me.

I would hunt down some used solar panels since all you are looking at is 1200 watt potential. You can get a lot more PV for a huge amount less. All the PV snobs are selling off the 270~295 watt panels for the 400-watt panels. They tend to be bigger, ie 72 cell panels. But if you can spend $300 for 1400 watts of PV, why not?

Take a look at this if you are not interested in back-feeding your house panel.

I have a few videos setup on youtube doing what you planning to do. Different brands of parts, but the same "things".

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions on where to find used 270-295 watt panels?

Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions on where to find used 270-295 watt panels?
SanstanSolar is on this forum in the corporate deals section, I just got four of these:

Back