diy solar

diy solar

NEWS: New Midnite Solar DIY Series - SCC's & Inverters (great $ too)

Check this out. Same exact product. 60A MPPT. Same display and lights on the top. I have used the rich solar clone and renogy one for ages now. Great little device.

Midnite: $433
Rich Solar: $369

Rich solar has an american warehouse near the port of los angeles. Now what I wish to know, is what consumer on this planet would choose the midnite version over the rich solar one? Rich solar has fantastic customer support and warranty. Why would anyone choose the midnite version?
Will,
In the sake of fairness the price you show for the MNMPPT60DIY from Midnite ($433) is the manufacturers MSRP not an actual retail price. The unit is $321.82 at Northern Arizona wind and sun for example

Will,
In the sake of fairness the price you show for the MNMPPT60DIY from Midnite ($433) is the manufacturers MSRP not an actual retail price. The unit is $321.82 at Northern Arizona wind and sun for example
I found the MNMPPT60DIY for even less. $306.00 at Firemountainsolar.

Comparing Midnites MSRP pricing to street "retail" pricing is unfair and inaccurate.

In answer to your question Will: Why would anyone choose the midnite version?

One reason is obvious, the Midnite version is at least $63.00 less!
$306.00 at Firemountain Vs. $369.00 at Rich Solar, and Midnite also has fantastic customer support and warranty.

I don't understand why so much misinformation is being posted here in this thread?

I always use manufacturer MSRP. I cannot depend on cheaper prices from random distributors. They could be discontinuing an item or having a sale.

Using MSRP as "misinformation"?? You have to be joking me.

I found the MNMPPT60DIY for even less. $306.00 at Firemountainsolar.

Comparing Midnites MSRP pricing to street "retail" pricing is unfair and inaccurate.

In answer to your question Will: Why would anyone choose the midnite version?

One reason is obvious, the Midnite version is at least $63.00 less!
$306.00 at Firemountain Vs. $369.00 at Rich Solar, and Midnite also has fantastic customer support and warranty.

I don't understand why so much misinformation is being posted here in this thread?
Rich solar and others have fantastic customer service and warranty. As do many others that sell this same relabeled unit. Also renogy, but some hate their customer service. But still, many other options because everyone is selling this unit. It's not special.

Also, I used this unit and it was awful. That's why this whole lineup makes me angry. It's a cheap little inverter box that I consider a toy when compared to a newer MPP. Seriously, buy them both and flip through the settings. I promise that you will prefer one over the other.

Check this out. Same exact product. 60A MPPT. Same display and lights on the top. I have used the rich solar clone and renogy one for ages now. Great little device.

Midnite: $433
Rich Solar: $369

Rich solar has an american warehouse near the port of los angeles. Now what I wish to know, is what consumer on this planet would choose the midnite version over the rich solar one? Rich solar has fantastic customer support and warranty. Why would anyone choose the midnite version?
Will says: Also, I used this unit and it was awful. That's why this whole lineup makes me angry. It's a cheap little inverter box that I consider a toy when compared to a newer MPP. Seriously, buy them both and flip through the settings. I promise that you will prefer one over the other.

Make up your mind Will. Same exact product, great little device..or it was awful? It can't be both. And you were comparing Charge Controllers, post #153, where did "cheap little inverter" come from?

Will says:
I always use manufacturer MSRP. I cannot depend on cheaper prices from random distributors. They could be discontinuing an item or having a sale.

I reached out to Rich Solar to confirm that $369.00 is the retail price, not MSRP. They replied all prices on their website are retail, not MSRP.

Will, the Midnite price you posted was MSRP, the Rich Solar price you posted was retail. Make up your mind. Don't claim you "always use manufacturer MSRP" when that clearly is not the case here. You made a lopsided comparison to prove a point...and it backfired.

Your pics:

Attachments

• FireShot Capture 031b.png
    FireShot Capture 031b.png
    420.6 KB · Views: 4
  • FireShot Capture 032a.png
    FireShot Capture 032a.png
    329.9 KB · Views: 4
Will says: Also, I used this unit and it was awful. That's why this whole lineup makes me angry. It's a cheap little inverter box that I consider a toy when compared to a newer MPP. Seriously, buy them both and flip through the settings. I promise that you will prefer one over the other.

Make up your mind Will. Same exact product, great little device..or it was awful? It can't be both. And you were comparing Charge Controllers, post #153, where did "cheap little inverter" come from?

Will says:

I reached out to Rich Solar to confirm that $369.00 is the retail price, not MSRP. They replied all prices on their website are retail, not MSRP.

Will, the Midnite price you posted was MSRP, the Rich Solar price you posted was retail. Make up your mind. Don't claim you "always use manufacturer MSRP" when that clearly is not the case here. You made a lopsided comparison to prove a point...and it backfired.

Your pics:
Oh, I was not talking about that one. I am talking about the renogy version I reviewed. I like that solar charge controller (one you mentioned, and the one I posted photos of) regardless of who relabels it. You misunderstood me. Do not talk to me like that, by stating "make up your mind". My mind is set, and I am firm with my position. There was a miscommunication here.

This is the unit I am referring to that I dislike:

Ok, I stand corrected on the price. You are correct about retail price and MSRP.

In my defense, I would like to point out that there really is no MSRP if every single company is selling the same relabeled box. What is the MSRP if 50 different companies sell it and claim their own MSRP?

Last edited:
Watch the video. I list everything I hate about that renogy model. And now, midnite solar is selling a clone of it. Why in the world would anyone buy one of these? Especially considering the other options available. Now is it clear?

Sure, if midnite fixes all of the issues, that would be great. It needs new software. I personally would prefer a new MPP with a better display and programming interface.

How many hours have you used the new DIY series unit? It sounds like you have experience with it.

Not being able to mount the bottom of that inverter was kind of weird. I don't know if there is supposed to be some kind of bracket for those side holes on the bottom I see though ?

Maybe the MidNite DIY will have holes to mount the bottom at least. I don't know if they do or not.

The 145 Voc limit is low too for one of these new fangled AIO hybrid units but it is a pretty low power one (3kW) so maybe that is why ?

I know the 5kW is 500 Voc or so. The MOSFETs or IGBTs are probably 600V or 650V but the caps may only be rated at 500V. I can take a look inside the 3kW DIY inverter which is probably the same one as in the video review. But not 100% positive.

BTW, power MOSFETs come in 150 V ratings versions and I bet it could actually be presented with a bit higher than 150 Voc and not be hurt as long as it shuts itself off below 150 VDC. The Chinese sometimes do not understand ratings so they may tend to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes. Capacitor voltage ratings in this voltage range are usually 160V max continuous.

EDIT: The 3024 DIY does not have bottom mounting holes. Can't see where they would put one ? This thing is really small !
I suppose one could drill a hole in the tiny area but I wouldn't want to get metal shavings floating around. What I would do, and this would be a cheat for sure, would be to use the GND screw hold to keep the bottom from flopping out.
I think the 5048 DIY has mounting holes ?

As for charging from AC and PV... There is a menu (#6 ?) where you can select priority of AC or PV or hybrid (both) which is probably where you would have set that to happen.

Last edited:
Can you get parallel boards for these? (Or any of the other brands that are also SRNE? Specifically the 5000w ones)

Can you get parallel boards for these? (Or any of the other brands that are also SRNE? Specifically the 5000w ones)
T
I don't think Midnite released the versions that can be paralleled.
I know they have listed.the.5000w version on their site so those may be on the market already

We are not getting the stackable 5000 watt 48V unit. We are having battery temp sensing added though which is exclusive to our DIY.
The reason we did not get the stacking option is because of a 10,000 watt split phase all in one coming out this year. It has two high voltage MPPT's also. It is being built special for MidNite Solar. We are designing the metal enclosure such that when we get these in, we will add all the required breakers and wiring necessary to meet NEC. So there will be a fair amount of American content on that unit. We will also have arc fault and ground fault options. I don't believe these things are normally available in the price range we are planning.

It is tough though as parts are extremely hard to get. We struggle to hire people too. There are 90 employees at MidNite. 22 of which are in engineering. We will need to hire another 50 people within the next year. This worries me. Anyone want a job? We aren't going anywhere!

I might be interested if you are serious. WA might be a nice change.

We are not getting the stackable 5000 watt 48V unit. We are having battery temp sensing added though which is exclusive to our DIY.
The reason we did not get the stacking option is because of a 10,000 watt split phase all in one coming out this year. It has two high voltage MPPT's also. It is being built special for MidNite Solar. We are designing the metal enclosure such that when we get these in, we will add all the required breakers and wiring necessary to meet NEC. So there will be a fair amount of American content on that unit. We will also have arc fault and ground fault options. I don't believe these things are normally available in the price range we are planning.

Well I guess that is the official answer. Official answers may change in the future though ! :)

Any updates for data monitoring on these units? Even integrating with Solar Assistant would nice...

Ha! That's pretty funny. You could say boB (his somewhat famous reversed capitalization signature) and Robin Gudgel work at Midnite, since they started the company. They also started Outback.

Come on boB and Robin! Speak up for yourselves! :)
They also started Trace. The most robust inverters ever made. Much of their 20+ year old inverters and charge controllers are still happily doing their job down here in Baja, mine included.

They also started Trace. The most robust inverters ever made. Much of their 20+ year old inverters and charge controllers are still happily doing their job down here in Baja, mine included.
These guys know a thing or two about customer service as well.
I would always buy midnite products once this keep up like this.

Well, we didn't exactly START Trace... BUT Robin's and my relationship with companies, as well as Magnum Energy, OutBack Power, Heart Interface and some other PNW companies go back to the early 1970s when Bob Carver and Steve Johnston started Phase Linear making high power stereo amplifiers. Then came pre-amps and other audio companies that are pretty well known up in the Seattle area. It is an incestuous electronics manufacturing industry up there and quite a cool story ! The whole thing, including the pro and consumer audio companies and the inverter and renewable/alternative energy business could make a pretty cool (small-ish) book.

I will say that audio electronics and this industry share many different electronics design techniques and practices.

Here are a couple of links to some stuff that Robin typed up a few years ago.
There is a LOT more to the story though that I hope we can finish some day.

I like the picture (attached) of Robin in front of some products he played big parts of.

boB

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 24
You guys may not have STARTED Trace but are the heart and soul of their best products.
Looking forward to all the new products coming down the pipe soon.
I have used your products in RE systems for many years. They're all still working great. Especially my personal SW 4024. 15 years old when I opened the factory sealed box. I'm sure it will outlive me.
Thanks for the history,

Last edited:
Back