diy solar

diy solar

Non-Grid tied setup for a shed

Complisult

Hi All,

I'm debating putting in a small solar system in my shed, which has no power from my house. My power needs are pretty small, just enough to charge my riding lawnmower (Weibang- 20ah, 80v), and a few RYOBI 40v and 18v batteries (push mower, leaf blower, and string trimmer). I don't care if it takes a few days to charge them up, since I use them about once a week to do yard work. I could run a line from the house, but there are few obstacles.
1. Code would require me to over build, I only need a single circuit. Once you do this, then it's lights, and weatherproofing and extra grounds and $$$.
2. My electrical panel is near capacity as is (100a service with solar input, EV charger). To get a permit, I would need a load calculation which would almost certainly come back saying I require a service upgrade. So again, $$$.

I have a small Rockpal's LION battery that I use when I go camping with a 100w foldable panel. I also have a mid sized EcoFlow Delta Max that I use as a battery backup for my sump pump.

My ask is; what is a good solution? My power requirements are minimal, and thousands of dollars to tie to the house seems like overkill. Would something like a Delta Max and a small 100w panel work? Anything to watch out for? The shed is not insulated or heated and I live near Chicago, so I would probably take the battery inside for the winter to keep it happy, and I don't need charging in my shed then.

Since you don't mind charging takes few days, a small 100w panel will theoretically work. You may calculate how many power your lawnmower and batteries need and choose a Delta Max with enough capacity.

Since you don't mind charging takes few days, a small 100w panel will theoretically work. You may calculate how many power your lawnmower and batteries need and choose a Delta Max with enough capacity.
Do you think a Delta Max and a 100w panel would work? It can't possibly be that simple, right? Would I need grounding?

I was hoping to do this with a Delta 2, during the warmer months a 240 watt panel mounted to the side was more than enough to provide some night time lightning and charge batteries for my tools. However the cold weather showed up and the Delta 2 said "no". Need a cold weather solution...

I'm not sure what tools / Chargers you have but if your chargers are a 2 wire supply then a requirement for grounding is not required. However your Inverter may have a earth point? If not and it's an isolated unit you may be good to go. If it does require earthing could you fit a Earth rod?
Not sure of US electrical code just using a little logic, If you equipment hasn't any earth points no need for grounding?

Back