diy solar

diy solar

UK permitted devolvement Shed or Ground for PV Panels

Ledsam

Hi All,
I'm trying to get my head around UK permitted development rules.
So I have 9 x 410w solar panels which i want to use in my garden. So I understand that I'm allowed 9 square meters in size. however my problem is that i wish to add these panels to my fence line as this faces south and I'm able to get almost all day sun. However under permitted Development i need to be at least 5m from my boundaries (commercial 3m??) If I build a gazebo area near my fence line would this class as an outbuilding and avoid the boundary rule??? Or do i build a large shed/summer house and fit them on that??? Why have such a silly rule that at least 90% can't achieve in the rear garden but have enough sunlight to add solar panels.

Ground-mounted is quite restrictive; roof mounting or on flat roof of shed or building is ok. On the fence is tricky if it's visible from highway or facing your neighbours - if it's on the other side of your garden and facing into the garden it may be ok.

You could also chat to your neighbours, as if they have no problems with it then it's not likely to merit any visits from planning enforcement officers (not legal advice!) - alternatively discuss it with planning to see what you can officially do, but then you may get a visit just to check.....

I suspect the rule derived from preventing unauthorised solar farms, but it does seem somewhat nonsensical. In theory you would be exceeding the 9m^2 rule (as 410W panels will be about 1.7m^2 each) as well as the boundary distance for permitted development. But if they are not high or detracting from public views and you do not have a listed building or in an AONB, then I would be surprised if you wouldn't be granted permission.

But, obviously, you could build an ugly garage / shed / outbuilding within permitted dev if (IIRC) it doesn't exceed 30m^2 or cover more than 50% of the curtilage that existed back in the 1940's and then pop your panels on that.

The gazebo is a bit of a conundrum in my mind... when does a covered gazebo become a ground mount array? Does the gazebo have to have a felted roof, for example on which to attach the panels, or can you just make a gazebo roof with panels.

Panels are so cheap now, they're no more expensive than the equivalent area of some OSB / paint and roofing felt - so what if we want to construct a roof of a garage or shed entirely from panels - whether they are connected up to an inverter or not? ;)

Panels are so cheap now, they're no more expensive than the equivalent area of some OSB / paint and roofing felt - so what if we want to construct a roof of a garage or shed entirely from panels - whether they are connected up to an inverter or not? ;)
I think this is fine - panels on roofs are ok - whether they'd be exercised with panels AS roofs I don't know but I doubt it. I'm planning this for a log store, anyway!

If you build a pergola, with glass roof panels,
how it this significantly different to PV panels for the roof? - just the wires?
I think the problem is the planning dept trying to set 'standardized rules' but not being able to imagine applications like PV-Fences vertical panel installations, etc. Perhaps they will accept your plan if they see it drawn up.

Looks like a new shed. A nice 3mt x 10mt Shed is on the cards with a full PV array as a roof, Maybe 10 x 500w panels will do it?? Why are UK rules so pedantic??

Those planning rules are hopelessly out of date, in my opinion. What use is only 9 square metres of panels? It's an arbitrary they must have cooked up years ago.

Back